Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

2013/2014 Board Nominations
CREATED: 09/25/12 by rtroll REPLIES: 10
rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 488
2013/2014 Board Nominations
POSTED: 9/25/12 7:58 PM

The DC Triathlon Club is seeking five (5) motivated candidates for the 2013 Board of Directors to join the five (5) current Board members serving out their second year of a two-year term. This was a great year for the DC Triathlon Club and this is your opportunity to make the future of the club even better. We encourage all interested candidates to nominate themselves for Board membership. A club-wide vote will determine the five members who will join the 10-member Board.

The incoming Board members will join the following members completing their term:

• Julia Nagy
  • Adam Stolzberg
  • Dena Richardson
  • Patrick Serfass
  • Abby Sanford

In 2012, the Board further clarified key roles and responsibilities among it's members. As a point of reference for those submitting a nomination, please consider the following roles when preparing your nomination platform. **Officers and final position assignments will be determined at the November Board meeting**

• President: Role sets the overall vision and direction of the club.
  • Vice-President: Role oversees the day to day operations of the club including volunteer and resource management.
  • Treasurer: Role oversees the fiscal management of the club.
  • Secretary: Role serves as the club's Head of Membership Services.
  • Director, Programs: Role provides strategic and operational oversight to the club's growing portfolio of training programs (i.e. NTP, HIP, Masters, etc)
  • Director, Partnerships & Outreach: Role cultivates new and existing partnerships and oversees the integration of partner benefits into the club
  • Director, Training & Racing: Role sets and manages the overall direction of the club's training racing series and organized training opportunities (i.e. training weekend's, training ambassador program, etc)
  • Director, Marketing & Communications: Role oversees and manages the club's internal communications and external marketing initiatives
  • Director, Club Events: Role oversees and manages club events (i.e. happy hours, special events, member-only events, etc)
  • Director, Web & Technology: Role drives the club's website transformation initiative (note: this is a special position commissioned in 2012 and will continue through the completion of the website transformation

To view more details on the Board's organizational structure and scope of responsibilities set forth in 2012, click here>>

The guidelines for Club members who would like to run for a Board position:

• You must be a paid member for the 12-month period prior to elections, or receive a unanimous vote from the current Board, to be eligible to run
  • The term is a two year commitment (2013 and 2014) to the Board
  • You should expect to commit 5-10 hours per week for Club duties as well as participate in a mandatory monthly Board meeting

If you would like to nominate yourself, please post here and let us know why you are a good candidate (e.g., what you have done for the Club, relevant experience that will help to make you an effective Board member, what you would like to see happen in 2013). You must post by 11:59 pm on October 10th if you would like to be considered. Responses to this thread should only be to announce yourself as a candidate. Please send any questions to president@dctriclub.org.

Elections will be held via electronic ballot from October 11th through October 24th. The new Board will be notified on October 25th and will be strongly encouraged to attend the October 27th Annual Meeting where the 2013 Board will be announced.

Ryan Troll
President, DC Triathlon Club

RE: 2013/2014 Board Nominations
POSTED: 10/01/12 1:53 PM

**Bump**

With a little over one week left, we are looking for the next wave of club leaders to join the Board. Submit those nominating platforms today!

Ryan
President, DC Tri Club

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 898
POSTED: 10/08/12 10:18 AM

Well, I suppose I will be the first to kick this off.

My name is Bryan Frank and I am seeking your vote for the 2013 DC Triathlon Club Board of Directors. I joined the club back in the spring of 2008. I had done a few triathlons through Boy Scouts as a kid but had never considered them again until a fellow club member found out about the New Triathlete Program and wanted to go to the NTP - Informational Meeting and did not want to go alone. So I went along, thought the concept seemed intriguing, and decided to give this sport a shot. I joined the club, got semi-adopted by the 2008 NTP program and competed in my first Olympic distance triathlon with the group. The finish went down in club history and since then I have been hooked on triathlon.

Since then, I have been heavily involved in NTP and for the last two years, I have been lead NTP Program Director. In 2011, we took over 150 participants through the New Triathlete Program and graduated over 100 of them as new triathletes. In 2012, we took two classes of participants, totaling close to 200 hopefuls, through the program and after a calamity of race cancellations graduated over half of them as new triathletes. We organized a variety of clinics (swimming, running, and bike buying to name a few) as well as many group workouts for the participants as they attempted their journey from newcomer to accomplished triathlete.

After three years as a Co-Leader of the New Triathlete Program and making a really wonderful set of friends, I wanted to try giving back to the club from a different aspect: the club Board of Directors. Having spent three years overseeing the direction of a small, but very important, subset of the club, I want to take the knowledge and understanding that I have gained and turn them onto the club as a whole. I do not have a specific agenda or list of items for things I want to do for the club next year but I think the current Board has done a great job developing the vision of this club and I would like to continue to develop that vision over the course of the following year. However, one particular area that I would like to focus on is the club's programs. Having run the New Triathlete Program, I think my success with that program could be brought to the club's other programs to develop them even further.

So there is my self-nomination. I really hope you will vote for me. And I look forward to hopefully being able to serve the club in its entirety.

...and we thank you for your support.

Bryan

POSTED: 10/10/12 6:53 AM

Hello DC Tri Club -

My name is Ryan Troll and I'm asking for your vote to be re-elected to the 2013/14 Board.

I've had the honor to serve as your President for this past year while prior to that I've served the club in many capacities since 2009 including Director of Partnerships & Outreach, Founder - Masters Swim Program and Lead - New Triathlete Program. It's been very exciting seeing this club grow and evolve to being one of the best, most respected clubs in the US and I look forward to seeing it continue.

I personally feel this past year was a large step forward for the club. We tackled a lot of critical issues that laid dormant since the club's founding and we transformed many aspects of the club in order to bring you more multi-sport activities, benefits, and perks. You can read about all of the progress that was made in Q1, 2012 Update and Q2, 2012 Update.

Looking ahead, the vision I propose and ask for your vote to help bring to life is this:

Power Of Many, Power Of One:
Part of our strength as a club is our shear numbers (currently 1300 strong) however it is important to make this club feel like it is your club...1300 members, one <insert your name here>. If I'm re-elected we will work hard to make the club feel personal for each individual member.

Member Value:
It costs $4.17 per month to be a member of the DC Triathlon Club. A steal compared to other clubs and teams. If I'm re-elected we will continue to drive real and immediate value for our members through our growth of Discounts, Benefits, Events, Services, Programming, Training & Racing Opportunities and our Online Community to name a few.

Our Voice:
There are literally 1000's of clubs and triathletes across the US who all share the common interests as we do. If I'm re-elected we will continue to work hard to have "our voice" stand out amongst the crowd and our presence felt across town and across the US

Give Back:
The club is mostly volunteer run and as such it is critical that everyone step up in any capacity to ensure our mission is carried our and our club lives on. If I'm re-elected we will work hard to get every member involved in our club.

Thank you for your consideration. Go DC Tri Club!

Ryan

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 398
POSTED: 10/10/12 7:29 PM

Hey all! I guess it's my turn. I've been giving it plenty of thought and I think it's time to give more back to the club. I'd like to submit my dashing self for consideration for the Board.

After a little more than two years with the club now I've learned a lot. Things like good running form, how to volunteer at events, and the proper way to make clickies, and Spanish Galleons as signatures for race registrations:

"What has this ginger done for me lately?" one might ask. Well, he's done a decent amount. My biggest contribution has been in the form of cheer, however, not everyone finds that entirely useful. In that case, my biggest gift to the club would have to be training weekends, chiefly - the Early Spring Lake Anna training weekend. That started off with "hey, come train with me so other park-goers don't think I'm a silly sot with no friends" to a formalised club training event with food, an agenda, and even an EventBrite thingie!!! That seemed to work out pretty well and everyone had fun. Then we all rejoiced.

Playing more of a role in the background, I've had the chance to meet a lot of new members, veterans, and people just interested in joining the club. It's been a wonderful learning experience and I'd like to bring some new ideas to the table to make this close community excel further in our training opportunities, outreach to others and partners, and have more chances to learn new things or even share what we've learned.

After putting together some other training weekends (on a much smaller scale), getting to as many happy hours as I can (or my liver allows), and trying to make as many new members I meet feel welcomed to our club, I feel there's more I can do support the rest of the board and promote a healthy love for our sports. Not everyone can win as much as I can at saltine eating contests, drink as much chocolate milk as me, or be as sensitive to the sun as this guy, so I want promote triathlon and the DC Tri club where everyone wins!!

If I'm selected to join the ranks of so many faithful members before, I promise to live up to the expectations and responsibilities set forth in the by-laws and bring a new lustre to the DC Triathlon Club. Together we shall seek out new life, new civilizations, to boldly go.... oh wait a minute... never mind that last bit.

I shall now honour you in haiku form:

I like DC Tri
So should you, my friend
Vote for me. Llama.

Best to all, kittens and sunshine,
Trevor Albert

gwcrew2000's ravatar gwcrew2000    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
POSTED: 10/10/12 9:47 PM

Hello, I'm Steve Carlson and I am submitting this as my nomination for the DC Tri Club Board of Directors. 

I first joined the club in late 2008 as I was beginning the journey to do my first Ironman. Between 2001-2008, I had done a handful of triathlons, but knew if I wanted to succeed at the ironman distance, I would need to find training partners and a community to keep me motivated. The DC Tri Club fulfilled that need and ever since I have tried to give back in anyway possible, whether serving on the board, volunteering at a race or being an NTP mentor. 

I joined the Board of Directors in 2010 as the training director/coordinator, in 2011 I served as President and this year I was the Club's Vice President. Over the years I have seen how the club has grown its membership, increased its functional capacity and expanded membership benefits. While those improvements make the club a better club, I feel the single factor that  makes DC Tri Club the best tri club in the country is the  community it creates.  I want to remain on the Board to continue to build the triathlon community in the DC metro area and to strengthen the community we have already formed within the Club. 

I look forward to the opportunity to continue to give back to the DC Tri Club and all of its members  Thank you for your consideration. 
-Steve Carlson

POSTED: 10/11/12 6:42 AM

The 2013/14 Board nomination period has now been extended to Friday October 12th. Please submit all nominations by 11:59 PM.

Thanks,
Ryan
President, DC Tri Club

npleisch    JOINED: 4/5/12    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 10/11/12 2:21 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, young and ol... errr... mature, horizontal and vertical swimmers! Sleeveless wetsuits or scuba gear, time trial bike that actually makes you lighter that you found in a secret underground factory in Belgium or a Huffy, 5 fingers or ski boots... our club offers something for all triathletes, and I really look forward to the opportunity to get more involved.

I'm Nik Pleisch and I'm open to just about any role on the board. Except the computer one. Trust me, you don't want me doing that one. I want to dive into the club, get to know more of you better, and use my experience to enhance YOUR experience. I recently moved to the DC area so I've only been a club member since April. But you know how it goes in politics and triathlon, rules are bendable. I got special permission from the President himself to throw my name in the hat... and considering he's also running for the board, I'd say that makes him a stand-up guy. Even if I am only the 5th person on the thread so far!

I lack time on the club, but I have a fair amount of triathlon experience. I started training for tris 5 years and about 45 pounds ago. I realized the importance of nutrition a year later and lost 30 of those 45 pounds in about 3 months. I've completed Sprint and Olympic tris in California, Ohio, Michigan, New York, and Maryland. I did my first 70.3 and 140.6 last year at 70.3 Racine in Wisconsin and IM Wisconsin, respectively. I went back this year to complete 70.3 Steelhead (besting my 5 hour goal with a 4:59:22!) and the Chesapeake Man Ultra (in 11:07:29).

At IM Wisconsin last year I (unknown to me at the time) got my first exposure to DC Tri Club fan support when I spotted Alejandro in his speedo and "Smile if you peed yourself" sign. And then this year my pregnant wife was present for Luke's disappearing act at General Smallwood while I was cursing the 400 degree heat on the course. I digress... but the point is that in the short 6 mos I've been on the club, I've thrown myself into the fray... Sat and Sun morning group rides, the BRIC-NIC, Gen Smallwood, Clarendon Cup and, of course, many Happy Hours.

In Ohio I was on a club of "elite" age groupers who I think, to an extent, had forgotten the reasons they started in the sport of triathlon. My short experience with the various members on this club has been refreshing and made me really want to get to know many more of you.

As for a 2013 platform... I will build a new open water swim lake in NoVa so we don't have to swim at Sandy Point anymore... (OK, maybe not. But it sounded good, didn't it?) I do, however, plan to get my soon-to-be-newborn son involved so that he's competeing in DC Tri Club events by the time he can walk!

Thanks to all, and on the board or not, I can't wait for another season with you all!

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 490
POSTED: 10/12/12 7:34 PM

Bump

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 490
POSTED: 10/13/12 6:10 AM

Thanks to all. Nomination period has ended. An electronic ballot will be sent later today

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 330
POSTED: 10/17/12 11:58 AM

When is the candidates debate? I'd propose the following topics for a town hall style discussion:

-Wilson Pool reconfiguration revisited
-To Shave or Not to Shave? A disussion on male leg hair preferences in cycling & swimming
-Hot Chocolate 15K problems - what could've been done differently?
-Reactions to the Traffic cops at HP and how to properly roll through a stop sign
-Reactions to the end of the DC Triatlon & National Harbor 70.3 and proposals for how to bring them back
-Luigi's Pizza operational efficiency - should the generic name "Luigi's Pizza" remain forever tainted in this club?
-and of course, Lance Armstrong - hero or liar? or both?

Learning about the candidates' feelings on the above issues is critical for me in deciding who to vote for. After all, I can only vote for up to 5 of the possible 5 candidates running for the board.

Politics is a good thing!
-Luke

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria