DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Road Bike Tires -- Recommendations?
CREATED: 07/06/11 by Tynan REPLIES: 6
Tynan's ravatar Tynan    JOINED: 1/17/11    POSTS: 44
Road Bike Tires -- Recommendations?
POSTED: 7/06/11 3:08 PM

Hi all,

I just bought a pair of Rolf Echelon Wheels to upgrade my Scott road bike. Can anyone recommend a set of tires? I only have one more race this season, so I'm mainly interested in a reliable set of training tires. That said, I don't want to be slowed down too much!

Still pretty new to the cycling (and tri) world, so any basic advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Tom

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 233
RE: Road Bike Tires -- Recommendations?
POSTED: 7/06/11 3:22 PM

I've been running Continental GP4000X's for awhile and like how they handle. Don't seem to get too many flats compared to other tires. I'd stick with the solid black though, the colors can be a little less grippy and not as strong a tire due to the molding process and chemical they use to dye the rubber.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1295
POSTED: 7/06/11 5:52 PM

I have Continental 4000S. I use it for racing and training. I had put about 6-7,000 miles on my last set before I replaced them. The only reason that I replaced them was because I wanted a new pair before my Ironman. Those old pairs are now my trainer tires. You can get those tires at a pretty good discount over the internet.

I have use Michelin Pro 3s in the past. They seemed to wear out a lot quicker. I also experienced a few flats on them ... on the same roads and under the same conditions that I used the Continental 4000s.

Tuan

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 7/06/11 6:18 PM

Tuan's 4000S are a great racing/training tire (the "S" version is different than the regular 4000, and the price reflects this). His experience with the Pro3s is not uncommon as well. For a training tire, basically anything with a kevlar bead (instead of wire) or a "folding" tire will do the job. If you're just starting out, the performance gains between a $75 tire and a $40 tire are minimal, so don't sweat it too much. Personally, I use Vittoria Rubino Slicks for training and Vittoria Open Corsa's for racing -- though the Rubinos will work just fine as a racing tire.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 7/06/11 7:04 PM

I'm just piling on with what everyone else already said here, but I run Conti GP4000S for my all purpose tire and Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX for my race wheels. They are both expensive, but personally, tires are the absolute #1 last part of the bike I would ever compromise on in order to save money. That skinny little piece of rubber is all that's holding you to the road when you go around a corner.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 7/06/11 8:17 PM

What you're hearing so far is pretty sound. You bought a nice set of wheels, now put some nice rubber on them! GP4000S are pretty good, seem to wear pretty well, and are not too expensive (yes, the S matters).

I have not been happy with some of the Hutchinson tires I've had (Fusion, Equinox). They're pretty cheap, and feel like it. -Jason

Tynan's ravatar Tynan    JOINED: 1/17/11    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 7/07/11 10:10 AM

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria