Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

National Harbor 70.3 cancelled too?
CREATED: 05/04/12 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 65
morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 685
RE: National Harbor 70.3 cancelled too?
POSTED: 5/07/12 12:44 PM

I got my DC Tri refund on Friday. Just cashed it after reading through this thread.

trimontana's ravatar trimontana    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 5/07/12 7:32 PM

For me, still no refund for the DC Tri cancelation. Questions submitted to their website have received no response. I guess what frustrates me the most is that the club has always produced a ton of free labor to "help Chuck" over the years in the form of volunteers. This was because many of us (hundreds I suspect) wanted to help out a fellow club member and wanted to respond favorably to the appeals for volunteers from DC Tri presidents and board members. Of course, we knew that Chuck was also a businessman with this company, but we thought he was a club member first. Now, we wonder where that fellow club spirit is from his company. Where's Chuck? After last winter's Hot Chocolate Run fiasco from the Chicago race organizers, I cannot believe that Chuck's company cannot do a bit better with business / customer relations, especially in return for all the volunteers we've given him.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 610
POSTED: 5/07/12 8:30 PM

I got my refund a while ago (2 weeks or so). It came in a very non-descript envelope but had WSEM as the return address.

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 490
POSTED: 5/08/12 6:39 AM

Very good post by DC Rainmaker about this issue.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/05/ironman-national-harbor-703-lesson-in.html

sleenaerts's ravatar sleenaerts    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 29
POSTED: 5/08/12 11:21 AM

I have to agree with "trimontana". So many people in DC's tri community--not just us DC Tri Clubbers--have supported his efforts over the years. For him to just leave us all holding the bag and offer no response is pretty low. He'll never get a cent of my money again should he ever have the chutzpah to put a race on in this town--or any other--again.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 5/08/12 11:39 AM

What "bag" exactly are people left holding? It seems like everyone who had registered was offered a refund.

Do races go under unexpectedly? Yes. Do companies go under unexpectedly? Yes. Such is life.

While an explanation would be appreciated, there is no law requiring one to be given to my knowledge... so I wouldn't get hopes up.

Andy

sleenaerts's ravatar sleenaerts    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 29
POSTED: 5/08/12 12:06 PM

Andy, given that all of Brodsky's sites have gone down--including that of his business--I would say that we're not going to be getting a refund from Chuck. So the "bag" that we are holding is being out the substantial entry fee (I'll believe the refund when it's in my hot little hand). The bag we are holding is that there are many who built their seasons around this race (although, yes, there are others--still, an inconvenience). There are many (not me) who are stuck with airfare tickets that can't be refunded. Is there a law requiring an explanation? No. But if you want to maintain goodwill and continue doing business, then yes, it is a requirement. Unless you like going broke.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 685
POSTED: 5/08/12 12:47 PM

I'm no Tea Party person - but when do we need a "law" to regulate all behaviour. Whatever happened to just simply good manners and respect? A bit of an explanation would be appreciated.

Aheitman's ravatar Aheitman    JOINED: 9/16/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 5/08/12 2:08 PM

I just received my refund notice for the race. I guess the next thing to do is wait for my 50$ discount coupon.....

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 5/08/12 2:52 PM

Since everyone is demanding an explanation for the cancellation of National Harbor 70.3, and WSEM is yet to provide one, why don't we come up with our own?

Here, I'll start:

"We here at WSEM/WTC regret to inform you that the National Harbor 70.3 has been cancelled due to..."

- Eagleman envy.
- regional shortage of finisher medal metal.
- Vince Gray's hatred of bicycles.
- Wilson Pool's lack of 50m lanes.

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 196
POSTED: 5/08/12 3:12 PM

We here at WSEM/WTC regret to inform you that the National Harbor 70.3 has been cancelled due to an illegal hot chocolate cartel bust that took place several days ago at the National Harbor.

trimontana's ravatar trimontana    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 5/08/12 6:56 PM

Yep, on paper, there's probably no law for an explanation, but I repeat -- again -- that I'd like the refund that was promised. It's that simple, a plain business arrangement. Charles should step forward to offer the club -- the group that has supported him en masse -- a decent reason for handling this a la the Hot Chocolate Run, a bar which was set pathetically low by all accounts. A cursory review of the history of this sport will show that triathlon is built around common decency and good will, not laws or fine print. This is a fact that can be traced back to the original founders of the sport and is talked about with great consistency by the sport's legends whenever they speak at charity events or at IM events, e.g. Chrissie Wellington, Mike Reilly, Dave Scott.

Pashigian's ravatar Pashigian    JOINED: 3/11/11    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 5/08/12 10:33 PM

The real test will be if I'm refunded the $50 "digital picture pack" that I paid for while registering... lol.

wellnow14    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 5/09/12 8:43 AM

SO... i am mainly focused on getting the refund that was promised. It sounds like one person got the refund and it was in a 'non-descript' envelope... and one other got a refund notice. Given that I throw LOTS of junk email (i..e, often in non-descript envelopes) away... it's possible that that refund is now in a landfill somewhere... and I haven't received any refund notices. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can track down the refund? who to call? website to check? etc.

hina's ravatar hina    JOINED: 9/4/11    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 5/09/12 8:52 AM

@wellnow14, are you talking about the refund for the DC Tri, or for NH 70.3? If it's for the former, try kristen@wseminc.com.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1262
POSTED: 5/09/12 8:52 AM

Considering that WSEM has completely shutdown their web page, Facebook page, and everything else, your best bet to get any answers/remedies about refunds may be through DCTri official channels. Perhaps the DCTri board can step in and help out and expedit things for everyone. I know that the board has special avenues that it has access to that the rest of the world do not.

WTC does own this event, so perhaps you can contact WTC directly on the refund status.

Tuan

wellnow14    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 5/09/12 9:00 AM

I was referring to the National Harbor Half IM (NH 70.3) -- and who should we be contacting at WTC (any contact info here would be helpful to me and I am sure many others)

dan

Aheitman's ravatar Aheitman    JOINED: 9/16/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 5/09/12 9:07 AM

The subject of the refund email was "Your refund receipt from PGCTLLC"

I found some email address on the cancellation notice but who knows if anyone is reading it anymore.

I want that discount coupon sooner than later- it should have been provided with the notification.

I understand that sh!t happens, but folks here lost more than the 250$ for registration.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1262
POSTED: 5/09/12 9:11 AM

Athlete Services General Questions
athleteservices@ironman.com

IRONMAN WORLD HEADQUARTERS
2701 North Rocky Point Drive
Suite 1250
Tampa, FL 33607
Phone: (813) 868-5940
Fax: (813) 868-5930

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 488
POSTED: 5/09/12 9:17 AM

The board is working on a formal response to this. In the meantime there are some key things that you should be aware of:

***Disclaimer: this is not the official response from the DC Tri Club Board as of yet rather some preliminary sharing of information***

1. Nations Triathlon is no longer, in any way, shape or form associated with WSEM, Inc. It is an owned and operated race of CGI Racing. Read today's club newsletter for more information on the future direction of Nations and our new (and broader) relationship and CGI.

2. WSEM is no longer in existance. There will be no future races managed or operated by WSEM. **We are attempting to get in touch with Chuck Brodsky in order to get the official details**

3. WSEM no longer has a staff. I noticed in the thread above that someone recommended reaching out to various staff members at WSEM, Inc. This will get you no where so please don't waste your time.

3. We are working on getting refund details directly from Chuck Brodsy and advocating on behalf of the members of the DC Tri Club to ensure this process is expedited.

We will keep you posted on updates.

Ryan
President, DC Tri Club

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria