Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

National Harbor 70.3 cancelled too?
CREATED: 05/04/12 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 65
wellnow14    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 73
RE: National Harbor 70.3 cancelled too?
POSTED: 5/09/12 9:18 AM

Thanks Tuan -- I called and spoke with "Erin" at WTC in Tampa and she indicated that Active.com was just starting to process refunds and that 'it should be done within a day or two' ... (FYI)

Pashigian's ravatar Pashigian    JOINED: 3/11/11    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 5/09/12 9:58 AM

Just to share my experience with the DC tri refund (not the Nat. Harbor 70.3):
I received a plain white envelope from WSEM that had the 2012 WDCT refund in the form of a check about 1.5 weeks ago.

If the refund for Nat. Harbor 70.3 proceeds in a similar fashion, it was a couple months between cancelling WDCT and when I got the check.
It sounds like folks are talking about a different process for Nat. Harbor though?

gabroe's ravatar gabroe    JOINED: 8/27/10    POSTS: 69
POSTED: 5/09/12 10:02 AM

I dont know about DC Tri but at least on the Nat. Harbor email they said that the fee was going to be refunded to the credit card you used to pay, that in my opinion, makes much more sense than sending checks.

"Refunds will be issued within 30 days and will be credited to the card used for registration through the Active Network."

Aheitman's ravatar Aheitman    JOINED: 9/16/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 5/09/12 11:11 AM

Michael Lynn Turtle, May 09 11:02 am (CDT):
Andrew,
Thank you for your email. Discount codes will be sent out this afternoon to registered participants of the Ironman 70.3 National Harbor. We appreciate your patience as we work to get this information finalized.

Best wishes,

Michael Lynn Turtle
Manager, Athlete Services
World Triathlon Corporation
2701 N. Rocky Point Dr. Suite 1250, Tampa FL 33615
www.ironman.com

pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 129
POSTED: 5/09/12 11:49 AM

When the DC Tri was canceled I chose to have my reg. fee go towards the TriRock Annapolis race. That was seamless, thankfully. Unfortunately, it seems that the refund process didn't work as smoothly.

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 103
POSTED: 5/09/12 1:35 PM

Well at least someone at WTC understands damage control. Just received my $50 off voucher email, and a plug from the Pocono 70.3 race folks. But the more interesting email was from Setup events, plugging their races. I've always had a blast at Setup races and should have stuck with them for Jun and Aug. For my money, I'm headed to Culpeper in Aug. Don't get me wrong, I've done several bigger named WTC events and loved them as well and appreciate them reaching to us. It's just too late in the planning phase to travel beyond a tank of gas for a race.

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 375
POSTED: 5/09/12 2:33 PM

I received a check from Washington Sports & Event Mgmt for $110 to refund my Registration Fee for the Washington DC Triathlon. However, this check did not reimburse the $11.50 I paid for the Online Processing Fee. I suppose it is futile to try to get this money back. Talk about a "convenience charge" :-(

I miss the DC Triathlon. I hope someone is able to resurrect this race in future years. It was just a year ago that DC proudly proclaimed itself TriTown USA... our city had 2 world-class triathlons (DC Tri & Nations), another in the works (70.3 National Harbor), a great triathlon program for inner-city youth (AchieveKids Triathlon), and a triathlete mayor stepping down (Mayor Fenty). Now, aside from this great club, the only other remnants left of triathlon in DC is a race that was actually a duathlon last year. Hopefully this city will recommit itself to taking the steps to get back to TriTown USA.

-Luke

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 5/09/12 2:45 PM

"If I had the moment
I'd capture that moment
You would be right here next to me
If I had the secret,
The secret to your love
I would place the treasure beneath my heart
Lock it all up,
And throw away the key
I would never give it up
Cause I was just a fool,
A fool for you
When I loved you so childishly

And I want it all back
I want it all, I want it all,
I want it all back
I want it all back,
I want it all, I want it all
[WSEM] I want it all
You never miss a good thing 'til it's gone,
I want it all, now I want it all (back)"

- All Back, Chris Brown

trimontana's ravatar trimontana    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 51
POSTED: 5/09/12 8:09 PM

See below.

==============================
Kristen Avioli kristen@wseminc.com
8:50 PM (15 minutes ago)

Hello and thank you for your email. I am no longer working for
Washington Sports & Event Management.

If you have questions regarding the Washington DC Triathlon refund process, please contact Tanya at tanya@foxpc.net.

If you have questions regarding the Tri Clinic Series Practice Tri, I will get back to you as soon as I can, and will have detailed
information out to you the week of May 14th.

POSTED: 5/10/12 4:30 PM

"Dear Athletes,
The Ironman 70.3 National Harbor Triathlon was cancelled because not enough athletes were registered for the event.

Ironman asked us to stay silent, not post anything on social media and not send out any press releases so that the damage to Ironman’s brand would be minimized. We were fools to agree and that was a big big mistake on our part.

We should have communicated immediately and told you the reason from the start. We were definitely wrong not to do so and apologize. The six figure financial loss from the event was more than we could manage."

POSTED: 5/10/12 4:31 PM

And I just got an email from active.com stating my refund was processed.

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 103
POSTED: 5/10/12 4:33 PM

Just saw their FB site released a msg blaming everything on a lack of entrants and WTC. I can't imagine anyone thinking silence would minimize damage.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 5/10/12 4:42 PM

WTC has cancelled races before because of lack of enrollment. This wouldn't be the first.

But, golly gee and heaven forbid, that this is the reason that the 70.3 was cancelled!

hina's ravatar hina    JOINED: 9/4/11    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 5/10/12 6:34 PM

I just saw the email and... wow. My reaction was, "What the hell??" It sounds so amazingly unprofessional, and just as immature as the "apology" from the Hot Chocolate race director (fortunately, I didn't sign up for that disaster).

sleenaerts's ravatar sleenaerts    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 29
POSTED: 5/10/12 7:13 PM

I got the e-mail before I left work. I have to say--I don't believe a word of it. WTC has cancelled races before and made mistakes, but they always have their ducks in a row and communicate quickly. What happened here simply isn't their MO. And who is PGCT LLC--the supposed company that sent the e-mail? I've googled them and there's really nothing about them. And the excuse that there weren't enough athletes? Please. I simply don't believe it--especially with three months left before the race. And even if it is remotely true, I'm pretty sure WTC would have said something to that effect.

JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 5/10/12 7:15 PM

LOL, they should have just come out and said Hot Chocolate killed the race. I think from now on I will just stay away from any race at NH.

That being said I also got an email from Active saying my refund had been processed.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 5/10/12 7:17 PM

Well, it could be worse...:

----------------------------------------------------
No Refunds For Everest Climbers

by Kraig Becker (RSS feed) on May 10th 2012 at 8:00AM

Everest: No Refunds!

Mountain guide company Himalayan Experience (Himex) announced yesterday that there would be no refunds to climbers who spent roughly $55,000 on an expedition to Mt. Everest which was abruptly cancelled earlier this week. In a statement released on their website, the company said that most of the money has already been spent on logistics, permits, supplies and salaries for this season, but those clients wishing to return next year could do so at a discounted rate.

Calling the 2012 spring season the most dangerous he has ever seen, team leader Russell Brice elected to pull all of his guides, Sherpas and clients off the mountain out of fear for their safety. In the same statement in which he broke the "no refunds" news, Brice also went into detail about how he came to his decision. He noted that unusually warm and dry weather on Everest has led to unstable conditions across the mountain, and the dangers created by those conditions were too great to put his team at risk.

Himex is already planning to return to Everest next season and they say that they've had preliminary meetings with the Ice Doctors regarding a safer route through the Khumbu Icefall. That section of the mountain sits just above Base Camp and has been one of the most dangerous areas of the mountain for years.

I salute Brice for making the tough decision for pulling his team off the mountain when literally millions of dollars are on the line. But I also can't help but feel sorry for the clients who have saved their pennies, trained hard and prepared physically and mentally for the opportunity to climb the tallest mountain on Earth. They must feel incredibly deflated at the moment and the promise of a discounted return trip next year can't really help soothe that. While a successful summit is never a guarantee, the fact that they didn't even get the chance to try must be crushing.

Lets also hope that the teams that remain on Everest will get up and down safely without any serious issues or accidents.

http://www.gadling.com/2012/05/10/no-refunds-for-everest-climbers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fgadling+%28Gadling%29

POSTED: 5/10/12 9:13 PM

Does anyone know where, how, whom we can call if we still have not received our DC Tri refund and have been checking every single day, diligently?

POSTED: 5/10/12 9:13 PM

While it hurts to defend WTC and the Ironman brand, it's simply unbelievable that Ironman is to blame here After all, it is the same person at the core of both cancellations this year. And I find no credibility in that person's statements, since he's still not provided refunds for the DC Tri and not provided any mechanism whatsoever for people to contact him or his wonderful organization. Trust me, I've tried every possible way of contacting him. And, I've been diligently looking for the DC Tri refund since it was cancelled. On the other hand, WTC responds to questions immediately, gives solid explanations that can be corroborated, and returns its money within a week. WTC did not cancel this year's IM St. George when it was only 2/3 full. WTC did not cancel IM Nice, Poconos 70.3, and at least two others in 2011, even though they were far short of reaching minimal targets. Instead, they went ahead with all the races. Since the common denominator here is one individual's inability and follow through on business responsibilities, how could anyone possibly blame this Hot Chocolate-like fiasco on WTC?

If someone has a valid way of contacting a live human to track down the DC Tri refunds, please post it here.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 5/10/12 10:37 PM

How did WSEM pull the same trick on two races? DCTri was cancelled because of permits. Ntnl70.3 was cancelled for presumed low enrollment, but maybe some other reason. It wasn't permits though. So it's not the same trick on both races.

And he has been providing refunds for DCTri. They're rolling into people's mailboxes as people here have posted. How is that not an honest refund? Maybe you just haven't gotten yours yet. Or maybe you accidentally tossed yours in the trash? Would that be Chuck's fault too? And it sounds like people's refund for the Ntnl70.3 are being processed as well.

WSEM is no longer in business, so it's kind of hard to contact them, but it sounds like they've been following through on the refund for both races and WTC is making their amends by adding a $50 discount on another race.

I'm not saying the response was proper or gives anyone closure or doesn't screw up someone's planned race season, but people (especially on the Nation's Tri FB page; a race no longer owned by WSEM) sure are quick to anger, bad-mouthing, and hatred of someone. So sad.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria