CREATED: 05/04/12 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 65
asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 204
RE: National Harbor 70.3 cancelled too?
POSTED: 5/11/12 7:33 AM

o, fo $ho!

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 5/11/12 10:12 AM

Mostly I have to say that Andy's post is crazy - cancelling Everest expeditions because the mountain is fierce this year. I get the no refund but just wonder what is going to happen to the expeditions actually going up this year. Is there a way to track it? No way I would ever do that (terrified of heights), but am fascinated by everything Everest.

Agree with Bryan on this one. It's business - things start and end all the time. There are no guarantees in business, and it's a cutthroat world in every industry right now. I remember when we had Nothing - No tri races in DC (save for the awesome stuff that our club did), and it was Chuck who created something out of nothing. He had the vision and the balls to do it - no one else did. So the vision has collapsed - it's an interesting tale that we are in the middle of. As a side note, I remember when the Washington DC Tri first happened, and people were wondering whether to do it, we said "Do it, because it's the first, and you'll always remember that." Well now those of you who did it have a memory of something that once was, that years from now it will be another time, a passing legend. Raise your head above the ruckus and treasure the experiences you've had (sorry NTP'ers, you don't get the memory...). You'll remember the craziness that was 2012, but hopefully you'll be looking back at it in wistful fondness and a shake of the head rather than complete hatred. So Chuck has moved on - a relevant question is - who will be the Next Visionary? Are we all followers (and some of us faultless complainers), or does one of us have the guts to be the Next Visionary and establish the next generation of races?

tdn9999's ravatar tdn9999    JOINED: 7/16/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 5/11/12 2:16 PM

Although I did not register for any of these races I'm more concerned about the future of Achieve and the value it brought to community kids.

Does anyone know if this will be affected by the recent events?

wbdowntown's ravatar wbdowntown    JOINED: 3/28/12    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 5/14/12 7:49 AM

Refund posted on Friday...stumbled onto this today...come on it's a little funny...

Hitler finds out Ironman 70.3 National Harbor has been cancelled
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJi8e6SIAkc

Lisamk1034    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 34
POSTED: 5/15/12 9:08 PM

On to more important matters -- what races are people substituting for the National Harbor Half?

As far as I can find, the following races are local-ish and after National Harbor so people can push their training schedules back a bit:

Patriots Half - Williamsburg, VA, September 8, 2012
Savageman - Deep Creek Lake, MD, September 15, 2012
Richmond Roxx Endurance Half - Rocketts Landing, VA - September 23, 2012
Waterman's Half - Marbury, MD - October 13, 2012

wellnow14    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 5/15/12 9:18 PM

The MoCo group is exploring the idea of focusing on SavageMan -- not sure what the latest count was, but last I heard there were 5-6 folks interested in making history on the Westernport Wall

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria