Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

No Water for Thirsty Swimmers: water bottles on deck at DC pools
CREATED: 05/02/13 by simba2109 REPLIES: 34
ppannett's ravatar ppannett    JOINED: 3/8/11    POSTS: 24
RE: No Water for Thirsty Swimmers: water bottles on deck at DC pools
POSTED: 5/08/13 10:28 AM

Have they been continuing to enforce this since last week? Also, has anyone encountered it at other pools, i.e. Rumsey, Takoma etc?

drphungky    JOINED: 9/7/10    POSTS: 37
POSTED: 5/09/13 11:38 AM

At Rumsey last night, they mentioned the rule to someone, and said don't bring it out again, but they were nice about it.

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 492
POSTED: 5/13/13 10:14 PM

There's a petition for the DC water bottle ban, pass it on:) Thanks! https://www.change.org/petitions/the-district-of-columbia-department-of-parks-and-recreation-reverse-the-ban-on-water-bottles-at-public-swimming-pools-in-dc

dhops's ravatar dhops    JOINED: 7/12/12    POSTS: 110
POSTED: 5/14/13 8:54 AM

Happened to me yesterday at Marie Reed. :(

POSTED: 5/14/13 8:57 AM

Thanks for the updates and please keep letting us know as and when/where it's being enforced.

04swiger's ravatar 04swiger    JOINED: 6/21/10    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 5/14/13 11:15 AM

Update as I've heard it from a reporter today:

"I am told new Policy will be bottled water only. No sports or other beverages -- just like 99.9% of pools. I was just told this by recreation."

Tom Sherwood
NBC4
Local Washington is only as good as the people active in it.

............which brings us back to 2009 when they opened the Wilson pool and said water only on deck. I don't know if they plan to inspect each and every water bottle as it comes on deck.

simba2109's ravatar simba2109    JOINED: 6/23/11    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 5/14/13 12:01 PM

Good news! I doubt they'll inspect each water bottle, but I have plenty of clear water bottles where they could visibly see I just have water in the bottle.

I'm heading to Rumsey tomorrow morning, so I'll report back on whether or not this info has trickled down from DPR to the pool management/lifeguards. If anyone swims tonight at a DC pool please let us know if you're able to have a water bottle on deck.

ryhudson's ravatar ryhudson    JOINED: 8/18/10    POSTS: 26
POSTED: 5/14/13 2:02 PM

Happened to me at Marie Reed on Friday -- lifeguard said it was a DOH rule, and that my options were to keep the water bottle in the locker, or in a bag (out of sight) on the pool deck.

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 203
POSTED: 5/14/13 5:09 PM

Apparently there was a massive robbery at Wilson Aquatic Center yesterday. They think a group of idiot kids who just got out of school came in with bolt cutters, cut all the locks and took EVERYTHING. They're fairly confident that the thieves will be caught as there are apparently security cameras throughout the building (though none in the locker rooms). They had a lifeguard posted up in the bathroom all day today and he said some news crews came in to cover the story so look for it tonight on the local news.

That same lifeguard also said that he heard from the higher-ups that the water bottle ban was going to be lifted. Not sure that's a very credible source but at least it came from someone on the other side.

-Ferguson

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 5/14/13 8:29 PM

D.C. Poolside Water Bottle Ban Lifted

See NBC 4 report

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/DC-Poolside-Water-Bottle-Ban-Lifted-207461651.html

POSTED: 5/14/13 8:51 PM

Great work everyone, no issues @ Rumsey tonight, including the guards who had bottles with them!

conartist's ravatar conartist    JOINED: 1/31/12    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 5/14/13 9:58 PM

I think they should ban swimmers. Go government.

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 5/15/13 5:01 PM

FYI - this press release just came through ... it's not anything new.

GOVERNMENT OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

STATEMENT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: MAY 15, 2013

DC Department of Health and DC Department of Parks and Recreation Release Statement on Water Bottle use in District Pools

DOH to Review Regulations Surrounding District's Aquatic Facilities

Najma Roberts (DOH), (202) 724-7481, najma.roberts@dc.gov
John Stokes (DPR), (202) 288-7275, john.stokes@dc.gov

(WASHINGTON, D.C.) –The DC Department of Health (DOH) and Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) released the following statement today:

Current District of Columbia Department of Health regulations cite that "…no food, drink, glass or animals [are allowed] in the pool area," (25-C DCMR § 6403). DOH is the agency responsible for licensing and inspecting all pools within the inventory of the DPR. The current regulations are designed to keep pools safe and free from any harmful substances that may contaminate pool water, as well as to eliminate clutter and other potential hazards from the pool deck. DOH and DPR are currently reviewing these regulations in light of the recent questions regarding the use of water bottles by pool patrons. Both DOH and DPR understand the importance of pool patrons maintaining maximum hydration and encourage patrons to continue to enjoy the District's pools. DPR and DOH will temporarily allow the use of non-glass, non-breakable, water bottles in the pool area at District aquatic facilities, pending a review of the regulations by both agencies.

Nate's ravatar Nate    JOINED: 2/23/10    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 5/15/13 6:57 PM

This whole thing is so ludicrous. I can't believe we've gotten to the point at which there are press releases about it. This should be such a non-issue.

jxjia's ravatar jxjia    JOINED: 8/13/12    POSTS: 109
POSTED: 5/17/13 8:30 AM

In case you haven't read this...
http://www.therecord.com/news/world/article/935037--feces-contaminates-58-per-cent-of-public-swimming-pools-cdc-says?goback=%2Egde_3723210_member_241636725

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria