Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Nations weather :(
CREATED: 09/11/10 by PamS REPLIES: 6
PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 345
Nations weather :(
POSTED: 9/11/10 1:18 PM

So it looks like it's going to be cold and rainy tomorrow...any tips for avoiding feeling cold, wet, and uncomfortable for the whole race...

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 507
RE: Nations weather :(
POSTED: 9/11/10 2:31 PM

On the bike, you could wear arm warmers if you have them.

On the run, you can put on a sleeved tech shirt over the tri jersey and/or arm warmers.

67F shouldn't feel too cold. Then again, it's been a while since we've had temperatures like that. I think I've forgotten what it's like to ride or run in sub-70 temperatures.

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 159
POSTED: 9/11/10 5:07 PM

If you are wearing a wetsuit, just wear that while you wait to start. It will keep you warm, and you should otherwise be good to go for the race.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 898
POSTED: 9/11/10 6:13 PM

If it looks like it's going to be rainy during your bike portion, I would recommend deflating your tires a bit (if you normally pump up to 110 psi, i would suggest going down to 100psi or thereabouts). This will give you a bit better traction on the road during your ride.

Bryan

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 345
POSTED: 9/13/10 10:42 AM

Thanks for the tips guys!

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 686
POSTED: 9/13/10 3:38 PM

I think I have done more tris in the rain than in any other weather. At least those are the ones that stick out.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 9/13/10 7:05 PM

The most difficult part of the weather yesterday was standing around in transition during the pre-race showers. And walking around after the race. (Somehow missed getting one of the foil blankets they were handing out.) I never got cold during the race itself. It was only when I wasn't moving that I got a little cold.

I had a great time overall, except for the fact that I had a lot of trouble trying to get the wetsuit off in T1 and trying to get my soaked socks on in T2. Next time I'll leave my socks in a plastic bag until T2. I can dry my feet off on a towel and then put the dry socks on easily. Lesson learned.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria