DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Hello from a newbie
CREATED: 09/28/09 by hppeabody REPLIES: 3
hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
Hello from a newbie
POSTED: 9/28/09 2:35 PM

Hi everyone,

I just joined the club and am looking to get into triathlons pretty seriously. I am a runner by sport, with a particular weakness in swimming. Given bad biomechanics and a lot of chronic knee issues, I figure that at some point in the coming years I will have to retire from marathons and other long distance runs, so its my hope that by then I will already be an experienced triathlete!

I live in Northwest DC, by van ness/udc (so close to the wilson center pool!!). I actually just started a weekly swim workout with a friend who also wants to get into tris. I also finally invested in a road bike and even did a sprint tri this past weekend just to get a general idea of how it feels, how to transition, etc. It is my hope to spend the winter making some new tri friends and training with them, especially on the swim and bike portions so that come next summer I will be ready to dive right in full force! The ultimate goal is of course to do an ironman, though I'll give myself some time to build up to that point.. (seems logical that I should try an olympic dist and a half iron first, right??)

If anyone else wants to train with me, please let me know!

Best,

Hillary

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: Hello from a newbie
POSTED: 9/28/09 3:15 PM

welcome to the club and come to the next dctriclub happy hour and meet some people they are a friendly bunch. lol

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 9/28/09 3:33 PM

I am a recovering marathoner turned Tri as well. We should start our own chapter of Recovering Marathoners not so Anonymous. I find myself in the pool more often than on the trails due to my self imposed abuse as a marathoner. Welcome to the Tri world, a new kind of hysteria - in a fun demented sort of way!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1752
POSTED: 9/28/09 4:29 PM

Seems like the Wilson pool is a natural for you. Here's the thread:

http://dctriclub.net/forum/messages.cfm?tid=D0EECFD2-E26C-C02D-819FA75D5E135DE5

Also watch out for spin sessions once the weather gets cold. For now there's still lots of posted bike workouts and centuries. Ditto the club-sponsored clinics on all aspects of tri.

And the Wednesday track workouts at Wash-Lee high school are a somewhat less strenous ( :) ) running workout.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria