DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

2012 Club Award Nominations
CREATED: 09/25/12 by rtroll REPLIES: 17
rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 504
2012 Club Award Nominations
POSTED: 9/25/12 8:36 PM

The Club is now accepting nominations for the following awards:

1. Spirit of DC Tri (cheers everyone on, wears DC Tri, etc.)
  2. Club Member of the Year (someone who represents the Club as a whole)
  3. Most Improved (m/f)
  4. Rookie of the Year (m/f) (their first year doing triathlon)
  5. Veteran Athlete of the Year (m/f) (not their first year doing triathlon)

If you would like to nominate someone for one of these categories, please do so below. Nominees must be paid Club members. The nominees will be included on the ballot with the Board of Directors elections and the winners will be announced at the annual meeting on October 27th. Please submit all nominations by 11:59 pm on October 10th

Ryan
President, DC Tri Club

miataj's ravatar miataj    JOINED: 3/5/11    POSTS: 65
RE: 2012 Club Award Nominations
POSTED: 9/26/12 8:51 AM

Rookie of the year - Amanda Bauer! Not only did she race so well in her first year of tris, but she competed in races on average at least once a month, got on the podium for a few races, and is about to compete in her first half ironman this weekend!

Spirit of DC Tri - Cat Myung! Cat is always cheering her teammates on, and will take pictures of all team members at races that she cannot participate in. Due to injury, she cannot compete in the Augusta, GA half ironman this weekend, but she is still driving down all the way south with her teammates bikes, taking pictures throughout the race, and cheering them on the entire race. Her spirit is infectious!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
POSTED: 9/26/12 10:57 AM

Spirit of DC Tri: Luke Holman - Dude bleeds DCTri colors like no one else in the club. He's always so cheerful that it makes you want to just bitch slap the shit out of him sometime. He's very active in the club. I'm not just talking about races, social events, volunteering, but on the DCTri forum as well. Very encouraging and rah rah young fella.

Club Member of the Year (someone who represents the Club as a whole)
Ed Moser. Until someone knocks him off the top of the hill as the most active person within DCTri, he should always be in contention for this title.

Most Improved (m/f)
Females: Courtney Fulton and Ellex Wexler. Both have put up some wicked fast times and stood on podiums lots of times this year. They were fast before, but it seems like they've stepped it up a notch this year with faster times and more podium spots.

Pam Simmonds - I think she's on the juice. A year or two ago, my grandmother could ride the bike faster than her. This year, I can't even suck on her wheels. Besides from conquering Savageman, she also completed some ridiculous bike ride from Washington state to Vancouver. That is a remarkable improvement if you'd seen here when she was an NTPer.

Male: Jason Brez. On the same course, he took off 50+ minutes from his time last year at a half Ironman.

Rookie of the Year (m/f) (their first year doing triathlon)
Male: Bob Milloy - he was everywhere during NTP season. After the NTP season was over, he realized that he was old, so went back to take his nap for the rest of the season.

Female: Miki Kim - NTPer who failed quite miserably at PeasantMan. She didn't even make it pass the 100 meter mark at PeasantMan before bailing. Afterward, she made it a mission to conquer OWS and triathlon. Finished quite respectfully at Nations. I also see her at every NTP functions that I go to ... even the ones where there are no free food.

Veteran Athlete of the Year (m/f) (not their first year doing triathlon)
Female: Stephanie Ewert. You win the Nations Triathlon outright, like she did, you deserve to part of the conversation. You're an automatic podium finisher, like she is, at every race you are at, you deserve to win this award.

Male: Kevin D'Amanda. Dude is in the 50 year old age bracket and is still an automatic 2:5x at every marathon that he's at. How many of you young punks can do that? 1st in his AG at the Annapolis 10 miler. He's wicked fast on the bike. He is a regular at many DCTri training and social events. He's also very active in the club.

Tuan

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 203
POSTED: 9/27/12 1:29 PM

spirit - bryan frank... he is quite spirited

club member - bryan frank... he's a great club member

most improved - bryan frank / ellen wexler... they've both improved a lot

rookie of the year - hmmm don't know any rookies...

vet - john chambers / stephanie ewert... they're both vets, especially john, and they're pretty good at triathlons.

no bryan frank did not pay me, i just like the fella. and no my shift/uppercase key is not broken, i'm just in a hurry.

may godzilla guide you to the finish line

-andy sovonick

POSTED: 9/28/12 5:20 PM

*bump*

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1751
POSTED: 9/30/12 11:09 PM

Among many:

Spirits: Catherine Myung (big w successful Wilson master's), Jay Cochran (big w MontCo), Bryan Frank (ran 2 NTP groups this year), Trevor Albert (broke up bike theft ring), Abbie Sanford, eager event organizer.

Members: Stephanie Ewert (won Nation's), Tuan Nguyen (PeasantMan organizer, Sun rides, advice on buying two for one Cervelos), Travis Siehndel (NTP, Nation's vol, Sat bike/Sun run stalwart), Ben Winterroth (won Rumpass in 1:56). )

Most Improved: Adam Stolzberg (good at providing HH spirits too), Jenny Leehy, Alejandro Escobar, Jason Brez(inski), Brady Nelson

Rookies: Jules Miata, Amanda Bauer (Are they joined at the hip)? Holli Finneren.

Veterans: Kevin D'Amanda, Hillary Cairns (always near the top of races), Phil Schmidt (3rd at Smallwood, blazing Houston IM sweatfest time). Hugh Harris, perennial event organizer.

(And yes, Courtney Fulton & Ellen Wexler should hold a race with a certain banned cyclist to raise charity $.)

trimontana's ravatar trimontana    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 51
POSTED: 10/01/12 12:04 PM

Spirit of DC Tri: Ed Moser. That guy is u·biq·ui·tous. I see him at swimming events, century rides, (very cold) duathlon training events, Sat/Sunday rides, always wearing DC Tri garb. If promoting the club selflessly and broadly (up and down the Atlantic region), Ed is well out front in this category.

Club Member of the Year: Ed Moser (see above), Tuan N. (rides, voluneerism), and Travis Siehndel (NTP, IM, volunteerism), Hugh Harris (training races, regardless of weather or additional assistance). All four seem to have endless energy devoted to improving the club.

Most Improved (m/f): Katie Tobin. Has gone from 0 to 60 in less than a year. Just completed her first 70.3 with a time of 5:03. (Yes, 5 HOURS.) Has been in top percentages in her age group all season.

Veteran Athlete of the Year: Courtney Fulton. Don't know her, have never met her, but saw her race at IM Poconos 70.3, where she took 1st in her age group over a difficult course. Very impressive.

** Disclaimer: Please note that due to my work location and other issues, I do not attend HHs. My perspective on DC Tri is really limited to the formal sporting events and the DC Tri support around those events.

POSTED: 10/01/12 1:48 PM

Keep those nominations coming in DC Tri Club! Looks like we have some great ones so far!

Remember that you can also help us identify your fellow club members who have provided their time and/or resources to the club this year. We are taking a different approach with volunteer recognition this year so please take a few minutes to complete the volunteer recognition form>>

Nominations and volunteer submissions are due by 11:59 pm on October 10th.

Ryan,
President, DC Tri Club

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
POSTED: 10/01/12 3:30 PM

Most Improved Male and Female: Elliott Lane and Katie Tobin
It would be unfair to nominate this triathlon power couple as a rookie since they have been on the podium their categories since they started. But looking at improvement of their bike and run times over the progression of the year is just plain mind boggling.

Female Rookie of the Year: Amanda Bauer
While she was in NTP, she volunteered to co-lead the Masters Swimming Program. Her first race, she won her division. And to cap it all off, she did the Augusta HIM in her first year!

Male Rookie of the Year: Paul Mahler
His story of transformation in the past year is amazing (from smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day to competing in a HIM). While it's been a struggle for him to complete his first triathlon, he finally did it at Nations and then rocked the Augusta HIM 2 weeks later! And he also got the prefect attendance award for NTP Class 1!

Female Veteran Athlete of the Year: Stephanie Ewert. She is one of the nicest triathletes out there - she will answer questions, help the blind, take pictures with children while kicking ass on the course.

Male Veteran Athlete of the Year: Jay Cochran. This guy doesn't stop. Ever. Even being in a bad bike accident only kept him off the road for 3 weeks before he was back plugging away at it.

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 188
POSTED: 10/03/12 10:44 PM

Spirit of DC Tri: Cat Myung. She traveled down to Augusta even though injury kept her from racing to cheer on everyone else from DC Tri. She was there when we got on the bike, she was on the run course (dressed as a hot dog nonetheless) and cheered for each of us like we were winning every time she would see us.

Club Member of the Year: Hamid - Nation's Party every year. Awesome. And he's full of interesting facts.

Most Improved (m/f):
Ellen Wexler - her podium at IMNYC was only seconds short of a Kona slot.
Trevor Albert, Jason Brezinski

Rookie of the Year
Amanda Bauer - She committed herself to training and completed 70.3 at the end of her rookie season.

Elliot Lane - Had a great first season of racing and is preparing to go 140.6 in 2013.

Veteran Athlete of the Year
Courtney Fulton - Amazing race at Poconos 70.3
Luke Holman

kst718's ravatar kst718    JOINED: 8/29/11    POSTS: 95
POSTED: 10/04/12 1:21 PM

Spirit: Cat Myung! Despite several injuries, she has been showing up at club events, traveled to Augusta to cheer (in a hotdog costume - we are not making this up!), and has taken a good chunk of the photos on the DC Tri facebook page. She even recruited her parents to help with this effort at the race in San Diego. I should also mention she risked life and limb by decorating the bike course in Georgia/SC with GO DC TRI chalk drawings, despite some very trigger happy locals. The Masters program is a success because of her enthusiasm and outreach. She even gives swimmers pep talks on gchat during the day to motivate them to come to practice.

Most Improved: Paul Mahler--from chain smoker who sinks in lakes to Ironman 70.3 finisher and active member of the Master's program--this could be a reality TV makeover program!

Rookies:
Amanda Bauer: Podiums, master's coaching, 70.3 - check, check, check. I mean, what else is left to do?
Elliott Lane: Yes, I realize I'm biased here but did you know that before joining DC Tri Club, Elliott weighed over 300 pounds? Now he has competed in 8 races (10 after this weekend), including two 70.3s and the 5150 championships. He has podiumed in almost every event, even beating some pros in the bike leg.

Veteran:
I'd like to nominate one of the club's youngest members, Holli Finneren. Despite only recently joining the 25-29 age group, she has several years of tris under her belt, including IMKY and Collegiate Nationals this year. She chronicles her races and training in her blog, which is a popular resource for other club members who are trying to plan their next races. In fact, Holli was the veteran whose blog led 11 of us to Ironman 70.3 Augusta this fall and she even raced it with us, just a few weeks after Louisville. She's also a physical therapist who has advised us on everything from preventing knee injuries to compression gear to anti-chafing strategies (now that's team bonding!).

coachlane    JOINED: 10/1/11    POSTS: 36
POSTED: 10/04/12 7:46 PM

Spirit: I will join the chorus of support for Cat Myung. She is active in an oganizational role (with the Masters Swim group and as a mentor with the NTP program), a support role (she volunteers at races, and even travelled to Augusta just to support the athletes who were racing), and as a racer herself, including Eagleman 70.3 earlier this year. She spends an enormous amount of time and energy making the club a success.

Member of the Year: Ed Moser. I have seen Ed in a wide variety of DC Tri club activities; he participates in everything from the swim meets to the Happy Hours to the group rides.

Novice Woman: Amanda Bauer: Amanda has had a great (and very busy) rookie year, starting with a podium finish at Rumpus, and ending with her first 70.3 in Augusta.

Most Improved - Katherine Tobin. Ok, I'm biased on this one. But I'm also right. Katie's single race last year was a sprint tri; her schedule this year included 10 races, and in her first 70.3 she beat the swim, bike and run splits from her 2011 sprint race by a significant margin, including a 20+ mph ride. She also claimed 4 age-group podium finishes over the course of the year, and took 3'rd place overall at the Warrenton tri a few weeks ago.

xennus's ravatar xennus    JOINED: 1/21/12    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 10/08/12 8:52 AM

Spirit - Brayn Frank - gave the best and only free hugs at Nations. He is the best DC Tri Cheerleader

Club Member of the Year - Bryan Frank - Great trainer for NTP. went above and beyond expectations for a volunteer. He gave many hours of his time to help the program

aebauer's ravatar aebauer    JOINED: 12/5/11    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 10/09/12 3:31 PM

Spirit of DC Tri: Hate to sound like a broken record, but there it is. I think Cat Myung deserves this award more than anyone. She is the fearless leader of our masters swim team (which she started) and puts countless hours into it. After she became injured and could no longer compete, she cheered all of us on at Nation's and even traveled down to Augusta with a large dc tri contingent as a sherpa and cheered us all on in a HOT DOG outfit. It was hysterical.

Club Member of the Year: Trevor Albert. I always see him at events, competing, volunteering, etc. Always with a great smile on his face. And he did his first IM this year.

Most Improved (m/f): Katie Tobin and Elliot Lane. They have both improved SO MUCH this year, and Katie even placed 7th in her AG in her first 70.3! Both of them have competed in more tris than I can name this year, including several podium finishes.

Rookie of the Year (M): Paul Mahler. He was fifty pounds heavier a year ago, DNF'd at Smallwood, then finished his first 70.3 only a couple of months later.

Veteran of the Year (f): I have to go with my mentor Jule Miata on this one. She welcomed me to the club, the masters team, and the NTP program all in one go. We have trained together for countless hours and many early mornings. My first season of tris would never have been the same without Jule.

POSTED: 10/11/12 6:43 AM

The 2012 club awards nomination period has now been extended to Friday October 12th. Please submit all nominations by 11:59 PM.

Thanks,
Ryan
President, DC Tri Club

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 492
POSTED: 10/12/12 7:33 PM

Bump. Only a few hours left.

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 492
POSTED: 10/12/12 10:48 PM

Spirit: Cat, plenty already said.
Club member of the year: Trevor Albert, he's always out and about making the club look good.
Most improved: (m) Alejandro Escobar has gotten pretty darn fast, it's like he's training or something.
(f) Holli Finneren took off 26 minutes from Augusta in 1 year
Rookie's; (m) Paul, plenty said in this post
(f) Amanda, also plenty said
Vet's (m) Luke Holman, wicked fast at San Diego and was doing super till that nasty heat put him in intensive care. Nice job pulling thru Luke!
Steph Ewert, Great races at RI 70.3 and of course Nations

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 492
POSTED: 10/13/12 6:10 AM

Thanks to all. Nomination period has ended. An electronic ballot will be sent later today

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria