Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

serious query - bike name?
CREATED: 09/28/09 by wombat REPLIES: 11
wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
serious query - bike name?
POSTED: 9/28/09 5:12 PM

I need a name for my bike. During the 4 hours/57 miles I was on my bike during Patriots 70.3, I began to understand how and why Blaine, Carlos, and the Vamborghini came into existence. In the coming year as I prepare for IMFL, I'll be spending hundreds, if not thousands, of hours on my bike. We'll have a torrid affair - a tumultuous love-hate relationship of hills, dropped chains, winds, and road rash.

Since I am slow and usually riding alone, I've taken to referring to myself as The Lone Rider. For a few miles I tried out the name Tonto but it just didn't work. I then pondered naming my bike after a hot guy, but dismissed the idea because (1) too obvious; and (2) I couldn't think of anyone. Besides, what if I named my bike after a crush and six months/weeks/seconds later fall out of lust?

I briefly considered naming my bike after a bitchy chick I wanted to slap and cut down to size but that didn't feel right either. Around mile 40 I started thinking about my favorite names -- Icky, my teddy bear; Jughead, the coolest pet parakeet ever; Oscar Meyer Maynard, my childhood mini dachshund. Since I loved Oscar the dog for his grumpy attitude, I tried that name for the bike. But, alas, iconic names of pets and stuffed animals should be retired.

I began to stress. Had my ability to name things been lost once I turned 5? I named my blue parakeet Jughead because I loved the Archie's comics and read them religiously. Archie, hmm, could that be my bike's name? The inherent awkwardness and geekiness is appealing, but I'm still trying to decide.

But last night I started thinking about (rather than riding) my bike again. When I first bought it I was mortified by its bright flame coloring. I wanted something boring and plain, like solid blue. But over time I have come to love my bike's color scheme. Yes, it's flamboyant, but easy to spot in transition. And that means it's probably easier for cars to spot too. So maybe I should come up with a drag-queen name for my bike?

What are your thoughts? What is the name of my bike?

GTDuMont's ravatar GTDuMont    JOINED: 9/28/09    POSTS: 3
RE: serious query - bike name?
POSTED: 9/28/09 5:33 PM

A flame colored bike named after a drag queen? Without a doubt: LOLA. See the movie "Kinky Boots."

Ride Safe.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 9/28/09 6:49 PM

i have found that when riding for hours on my bike and uphill that the only names that are ever appropriate for a bicycle are "motherf$&ker" and "f-ing son of a b$#ch".

i think those names are completely appropriate when riding for hours on end especially when most of those hours are uphill.

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 9/28/09 6:57 PM

The Burn

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1748
POSTED: 9/28/09 9:29 PM

A nomme de tour for Tammy Farmer?

Farmer's Allmanic.

dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 9/30/09 2:53 PM

fuego or el diablo.

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 9/30/09 3:13 PM

Justin,
Come on man...don't hate the bike...hate the HILLS!!!

When I was having my breakfast, lunch, and Dinner (as I aptly named the 3 Monster Climbs at Everest Challenge) of 20 mile climbs out in California I found myself cursing geology, plate-tectonics, and road engineers who designed/built such roads. Never did I curse my bike for fear of it getting mad at me on the 20 mile descents...that would be bad ;)

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 9/30/09 3:25 PM

Oh this seems like a job for Tuan.

Tuan, are you out there....

POSTED: 9/30/09 6:07 PM

chad i'm hating the bike/hill everything when i still have 35 minutes to go on a hill i've been on for 25 minutes already.

riggodrill's ravatar riggodrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 103
POSTED: 9/30/09 10:12 PM

I rode "Blue Thunder" at Ironman Florida 2008.

Chad's ravatar Chad    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 116
POSTED: 10/01/09 10:07 AM

Justin,
Then there is no way you would even remotely enjoy those 20 milers...3+ hours just going up and up and up and up...and up!

POSTED: 10/01/09 10:31 AM

chad,

french alps, tons of fun you would enjoy them. I know i was cursing most of the time i was going up those.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria