Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

There's gonna be a new DC Tri logo and colors?
CREATED: 12/19/12 by HappyRunner REPLIES: 9
HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 202
There's gonna be a new DC Tri logo and colors?
POSTED: 12/19/12 8:05 AM

Hearing a rumor that there's gonna be new colors and logo?

Personally, I like the current logo/colors just fine but hope the color shading changes. Right now, the dark in the stomach area transitioning to lighter in the chest area makes it look like I have the gut that I actually lost 10 years ago!

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 206
RE: There's gonna be a new DC Tri logo and colors?
POSTED: 12/19/12 8:40 AM

I always wanted to point out that the running man's arms are too high, skinny and perhaps short. Compare to when he's swimming (yes it's a closeup but his arms are clearly massive there) and cycling. He kinda looks like a Tyrannosaurus Rex, the king of all dinosaurs (reminds me of Sharptooth, the antagonist in Land Before Time). Otherwise his running form isn't so bad. Those arms though...

I wish I could get as low as him on the bike though, that's absurd. Super aerodynamic, he nearly folds in on himself, ouch!!

And yeah look at that swim form, he can hold his arm out that far because he's opening up his hips.

He looks like a champion for the most part. A winner.

Which brings up one more question... is he a she too? An all-gender-encompassing icon?

-Andy Sovonick of Gaithersburg

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 505
POSTED: 12/19/12 12:29 PM

It is true, we are exploring cleaning up but not drastically changing our logo. Our logo is 10 years old and we have been talking about modernizing it for almost 3 or 4 years now. The types of changes we are exploring include removing the website (what legitimate logo has a website URL in it?), making the tri-weebles in the stars more crisp and new age, making the stars standout a bit more by better integrating the tri-weebles into the stars, filling in the word "club" so it stands out a bit more, and exploring some fresh new fonts that make the name pop even more. We may (over time) introduce a subtle "mark" somewhere in the logo that becomes the brand of the club (think: M-Dot or the Nike Swoosh or the Cervelo "e"...)

We are looking at a new look for the kits but have not seen round 2 concepts from our designer yet. Round 1 concepts were way off the mark. The idea is that these new kits will respect the current kit design but make the kit "pop" even more. We also have a practical reason to re-design the kits with our move away from Champion Systems to a new kit vendor.

The plan is to unveil our updated look at the same time we unveil the new kit vendor. We are on track to do all of this mid-January.

Please feel free to contact myself or anyone on the board directly to discuss this in greater detail.

Ryan,
President, DC Tri Club

HippoRippo    JOINED: 12/20/12    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 12/20/12 10:19 AM

Ryan,
I just joined about five minutes ago, so forgive me for mouthing off so soon, but whenever I hear the words "new logo" I immediately suggest logotournament.com for developing ideas. I have no skin in this, to be clear... It's a site where you explain who you are, what you do, what you want from a logo, logos you like, etc., and then create a design contest of 5 to 7 to 10 days. After a few days, designers from all over the world submit ideas and you log in to rank them, remove the ones you don't like, and then the submissions start pouring in. The prize (and total cost of the process) can be as little as $250 with the max being $500, I think. At the end of the tournament, you keep the final design and stay in touch with the designer. Where else will you get 30-40 designers feverishly working on ideas for your logo over seven days for $250???

I used it a few times with great results and never had a bad report from those I have referred to it. Hope that helps.

Rip

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 12/22/12 1:14 AM

The guy who created the logo about 10 years ago did it for FREE. DC Tri runs on volunteers and it would be a good idea to reach out to him first to see if he can help out. His right to the logo is exhausted, but the original designer does have a natural right to his work and we should respect that and his free contribution.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 12/22/12 2:27 PM

I was under the impression that Nic J. 'designed' the current logo by creatively using clip art and the cut/paste function. Is this not the case? If it is, I suspect that Nic would be happy to give up his job as pro bono graphic designer.

clintonmlight's ravatar clintonmlight    JOINED: 8/28/12    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 12/24/12 10:11 PM

As a DC Tri Club rookie, I don't know the history/ evolution of the logo. If the current incarnation is the product of a recent thoughtful change, as the dates on many of these posts would suggest, then my opinion/ taste/ preferences can be disregarded. That said, I would strongly support a change both to the logo itself and to the coloration of the race unis.

Nothing drastic on the logo; I like incorporating the flag, but the stylized athletes could be improved. As for the race uniforms, I have delayed purchasing mine in hopes that there would be a change for 2013. I advocate a cleaner look without any shading and perhaps just a two or three color design, which would echo the simplicity of the DC flag.

I am very excited for my 2013 race schedule, and I'd love to sport new DC Tri togs. Merry Christmas everyone!

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 12/25/12 10:30 AM

Speaking as one of the oldest veterans in the club, I agree with the rookie. The current design has served us well but it's time for a complete overhaul.

The clip art tribal stick figures are played out and the URL has to go. The rookie was spot on... "a cleaner look without any shading and perhaps just a two or three color design, which would echo the simplicity of the DC flag". Nailed it! Welcome to the club!

Merry Christmas everyone!

-Ferguson

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 505
POSTED: 12/31/12 2:32 PM
Attachment: DC Tri Logo_SM.jpg

Here is a sneak peak for those engaged in this dialogue. We'll be officially unveiling the new logo/branding in the next few weeks once we finalize kit designs and get our new online shop up and running.

Our clean up of the logo is just that..a clean up. Our designer respected the framework of the legacy logo while updating the action icons within the stars. We freshened up the font, removed the URL, filled in the word "club", and matched the colors to our current kit colors. You'll notice the font is a tad darker blue and this was by design to match the "Reflex Blue" in our kits. Our logo will still be highly recognizable, possibly even more recognizable now with cleaner and crisper lines.

If anyone is interested, I can share some of the concepts we considered that would have been a DRASTIC change from our current logo. Please email me at president@dctriclub.org if you are interested.

Ryan
President, DC Tri Club

HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 202
POSTED: 12/31/12 2:50 PM

Will we be required to ride unicycles?

:)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria