Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

2013 Featured Club Ironman - Lake Placid
CREATED: 07/03/12 by afava REPLIES: 85
afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
2013 Featured Club Ironman - Lake Placid
POSTED: 7/03/12 8:44 AM

We’re trying something new! A Featured Club Ironman. Race with DC Tri Club friends at Ironman Lake Placid in 2013.

Registration will open and close the day after this year’s race – Monday, July 23.

Who’s in?! Use this thread to coordinate in the lead-up to registration.

Registration details:

2013 Onsite Open Registration
All remaining slots for the 2013 event will open for registration on a first-come, first-served basis the day after the race. All 2012 volunteers will have priority over the general public. All volunteers must wear their volunteer t-shirt and wristband. Please be prepared to pay the entry fee plus convenience fee with credit card only; cash or checks will NOT be accepted (Discover cards are NOT accepted). Your credit card will be charged immediately on-site when registering for the 2013 event. Transfers or deferrals are NOT permitted. Note - you must register in advance to volunteer – this is handled online on the race website.

2013 Online Registration
Online registration for the 2013 Ironman event will open the day after the race at 12:00 p.m local time (subject to change). Please log on to the official event website to register. Transfers or deferrals are NOT permitted.

DC Tri Club – 2012 Board

PS – Check out our full list of Club Featured Races for 2013 at http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Race.Featured

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 199
RE: 2013 Featured Club Ironman - Lake Placid
POSTED: 7/03/12 2:00 PM

I'll be racing up there in a few weeks along with fellow DCTC members Ryan Troll, Ihan Kim, Clay Battin, and Jimmy Hicks (I think there are a few others racing up as well).

For those thinking about doing this race, you may want to go up race weekend to preview the course... it's an ass-kicker! Definitely one of the toughest IronMan courses on the planet so just finishing this one comes with bragging rights!!

The Adirondacks are beautiful and Lake Placid is truly an amazing town (especially on race weekend)! It's a 9-10 hour drive from DC so you don't have to fly with your bike... which is always a plus. This is one of the oldest races on the IronMan circuit and the finish on the Olympic Oval is second to none!! A few hours north of NYC but you're also not paying anywhere close to the 1K they extort for "IronMan Jersey".

If you volunteer to work the race, you get a priority slot for 2013. Slots are allotted as follows: athletes racing this year can sign up the day before the race, volunteers sign up the morning after, and then whatever slots are left over will open up to online registration. Depending on demand, there may be slots left and there may not. Prior to 2008 there were never slots left over for online registration (you had to not only volunteer but also get in line by 5 am to be guaranteed a slot). Since then, there have been online slots but that number varies year to year... so, if you're not racing or volunteering, be sitting in front of your computer the second registration opens.

Looking forward to seeing some of you up there on race weekend!

-Ferguson

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 294
POSTED: 7/03/12 3:13 PM

Another thing with Lake Placid is that hotels go quickly for race weekend, and have higher rates than usual and multiple-night minimums. The best deal, if you can coordinate with others, is to get a house rental. All the more reason to get a lot of folks from the club coordinating their race plans for 2013! Hope to see folks in a few weeks --

- ihan

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 7/04/12 7:56 AM

How quickly does LP sell out typically?

Answer: within minutes!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1045
POSTED: 7/04/12 11:43 AM

Thanks Andrea, Matt and Ihan for the tips. I recall last year that IM-LP was open for about six hours as I sat and questioned whether to sign up or not. With this as a club focus IM there is more of a temptation to go FOURTH and do so. Good luck to those competing this year.

kajlau's ravatar kajlau    JOINED: 7/10/10    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 7/08/12 7:36 PM

Looks like tough race and the first hurdlle being registration. Thanks all for posting - I am going to see if I can get a spot!

Kaj

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 491
POSTED: 7/08/12 8:21 PM

ay ay ay....decisions, decisions. I need to settle a score with IMLP. Maybe 2013 is the year to do it.

jennism's ravatar jennism    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 7/08/12 10:03 PM

There are a couple of us (now graduated) NTPers that are going up to volunteer at this year's race and register for next year. Apparently y'all do a really good job of making us catch the tri bug! Either that or we're just completely crazy for committing to an Ironman a year after our first tri!

POSTED: 7/08/12 10:04 PM

There are a couple of us (now graduated) NTPers that are going up to volunteer at this year's race and register for next year. Apparently y'all do a really good job of making us catch the tri bug! Either that or we're just completely crazy for committing to an Ironman a year after our first tri!

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 7/09/12 6:35 AM

Not crazy at all and definitely do-able. All the resources you need to move forward to IM distance are within the club.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 7/09/12 6:41 AM

You people are nuts

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 7/09/12 7:45 AM

Simon, when did you sign up for your first ironman? I believe the saying is, "pot, meet kettle" ? ;-)

That said, he's right--you people are nuts. But I admire your spirit, and you'll find plenty of resources to help you. -Jason

POSTED: 7/09/12 8:33 AM

Who knows. It was so long ago the term Ironman meant the rich lads who got to wear armor while storming the castle. The rest of us had to be really good with our shields.
Who can resist the lure of our first team Ironman? In, probably just for the swim.
We're so organized, IT savvy, and hardcore now, with wholesome pats on the backs. Must be the surge of the Millennials, rather than us Gen X'ers (Ironman entry for Xmas? Here's a carton of cigarettes instead - smoke em up kid...)

laineym3's ravatar laineym3    JOINED: 7/2/10    POSTS: 122
POSTED: 7/09/12 8:50 AM

I'm 110% in for IMLP 2013!! CANNOT WAIT! it'll be my first and scared shitless, but with the support of the club it'll be that much more of an awesome experience.

There are a few people from MoCo that will be in too. I'm happy to see some others to commiserate with while the rest of my social life goes down the drain for ~7 months :)

POSTED: 7/09/12 9:16 AM

Ha, thanks for the quasi-bodes of confidence, everyone! I'll take "you're nuts" as "you're awesome, you'll rock it!" Looking far ahead, the three of us that are volunteering at IMLP 2012 all live on Capitol Hill, so hopefully we can get a training group together if people are interested

POSTED: 7/09/12 9:39 AM

Where are you all staying up there?

NTP to IMP - I like it!

Andrea

POSTED: 7/09/12 9:43 AM

MoCo aboard is like trade winds in your sails.
Long ago, back in the 'Nam, the club was Cap Hill centric - it's where we were born. Cap Hill Bikes was our only bike shop. Those were the days. Real compliment for you, Bday Girl M and crew: You guys are training monsters, with talent. Prediction: Gen Smallwood was like an IM - you'll be fine. Observation: Most triathletes (our bike-training-heroes-crush-all-comers rides) overtrain for IM anyways. Historical Reference: Other than injury, mechanical, or choice, DC Tri folks don't fail their IM bid. Conclusion: No worries.
Edit: Fearsome crew going up to IMPL this year - nice!

POSTED: 7/09/12 9:44 AM

We're camping at Whispering Pines Campground (4582 Cascade Rd, Lake Placid, NY), which is about 6 miles from the transition area. So we plan on just biking over race morning since we want to be there to see the swim start, and plan on being there all the way until the last person comes in at midnight :) ...and then of course we'll be in line ~6 hours later to register for next year's race!

POSTED: 7/09/12 9:47 AM

And thank you, Simon :) I'm only slightly terrified at this point, and we'll have to see whether spectating IMLP will tilt that to the totally terrified side or totally stoked side!

POSTED: 7/09/12 10:02 AM

Whispering Pines Campground has just a few sites available - if folks are considering going up to support DC Tri folks racing this year and registering for 2013, give them a call ASAP: 518-523-9322.

Andrea

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria