Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

2013 Featured Club Ironman - Lake Placid
CREATED: 07/03/12 by afava REPLIES: 85
afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 251
RE: 2013 Featured Club Ironman - Lake Placid
POSTED: 7/09/12 10:02 AM

Whispering Pines Campground has just a few sites available - if folks are considering going up to support DC Tri folks racing this year and to register for 2013, give them a call ASAP: 518-523-9322.

Andrea

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1265
RE: 2013 Featured Club Ironman
POSTED: 7/09/12 10:15 AM

Oh cool, I just stumbled onto this IM Sweden thread by accident.

You guys are so going to love going to Europe and doing an Ironman with me in 2013.

Tuan

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 7/09/12 1:14 PM

Just wanted to say I'll be at IMLP 2012 in a week or so. Strongly conisdering 2013...

Thanks to a fall in the backyard burn, I haven't done much training.

I'll be the course sweeper this year. Be sure to wave when you pass me.

Brad.

POSTED: 7/12/12 11:25 AM

Bumping this up since registration for Placid is fast approaching.

We’re trying something new! A Featured Club Ironman. Race with DC Tri friends at Ironman Lake Placid in 2013.

Registration will likely open and close the day after this year’s race – Monday, July 23.

I've heard lots of folks talking about this so we're sure to have a great group up there in 2013! Who's in??

Andrea

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 7/12/12 1:01 PM

I'm thnking about racing Lake Placid for the third time. It is a great race and perhaps the best Ironman venue. Just wish the hotel rooms were not so expensive!

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 177
POSTED: 7/12/12 1:30 PM

It's a venue unlike any other... the finish on the Olympic speed skating oval is electric!!

Not sure if I'm going to race next year but, if not, I'll certainly be up there on race weekend to support the club and my friends.

Housing can be a challenge but there are good deals to be had.

-Ferguson

POSTED: 7/12/12 2:47 PM

I'm thinking about racing next year - my first Ironman.

Awesome to know that we'll have our experienced folks there to support us!

Andrea

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 346
POSTED: 7/13/12 7:57 AM

Andrea! You know you want to rock out this race with me!!! This is going to be my first ironman race. I'm super excited about it and a little worried that I am not going to be able to register before all ya'll take up all the slots.

-Catharine

POSTED: 7/13/12 8:11 AM

With IM Mt Tremblant and IMNY happening at about the same time and in the same general geographic quadrant, I doubt this race will sell out as quickly as everyone is anticipating. It'll sell out within a day or so though.

By the way, has anyone heard of IM Sweden? I hear that's where all the cool sexy Vietnamese are doing the race next year.

/backhanded thread hijack over

Tuan

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 285
POSTED: 7/13/12 9:42 AM

For folks heading up next weekend, whether to race or volunteer/sign up for 2013, any thoughts on meeting up on Saturday afternoon after bike check-in? I'm open as to location, though I'm assuming that everyplace will be packed with freaked out/amped up tri-folks.

POSTED: 7/13/12 10:18 AM

Linking up with all the DCTC folks on Saturday is a great idea. Yes, there are hordes of neurotic triathletes buzzing about but there are also plenty of places to post up within walking distance of the oval. I'm a big fan of the Lake Placid Brew Pub, ZigZags, and Dancing Bears... all of which have plenty of space.

-Ferguson

POSTED: 7/13/12 10:27 AM

Can anyone tell where Tuan is racing next year?? haha

On a serious note for those thinking about signing up, I thought the same thing about Tremblant & NYC diluting the field in Lake Placid. That was before I tried finding accommodations for my family & friends. I've rented up there for the past 5 years and I can tell you that, despite a rise in the number of rental properties, there are fewer rentals available this year than ever before. This is indicative of how many folks are in town to sign up for next year. My guess is that registration for 2013 will close out faster than any year since 2007 (when you had to be there to get a slot).

Sooo... if you're not volunteering (registering on-site), be at your computer the second online registration opens!!!

-Ferguson

jennism's ravatar jennism    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 7/13/12 10:29 AM

For those of us who are volunteering and registering on-site, how early do you think we need to book lodging for 2013's race? And does anyone have recommendations? I'm guessing since we'll have such a big DC Tri contingency going up, we could get a few big houses...but I have no idea where to even start looking. Suggestions appreciated!

-Meaghan

POSTED: 7/13/12 10:52 AM

volunteers- plan to wake up at 4A on Monday morning so you'll have time to walk down to the oval and get in line for registration. Get there later than 5A and you'll be a mile deep... (no kidding).

As for lodging, many book a room before they leave town (especially the hotels right on Main Street). If you aren't prepared to drop a 50% deposit that weekend (which is usually required up front), you'll have a few weeks to find a house or hotel room. After that, pickins are slim. Also be prepared for a minimum stay requirement- usually a minimum of 5 nights during IronMan week.

I can help with suggestions on where to stay once y'all figure out if you're renting a house, etc.

Hope that helps!

-Ferguson

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 346
POSTED: 7/13/12 11:11 AM

Just checking for the 300th time - online registration opens at noon on the 23rd ... right?

Also there are a few of us that already got a house for next year, if you need a place. It's walking distance to transition and swim start - but it's like $500 a person to share a bed. C'est la vie.

POSTED: 7/13/12 11:16 AM

ahh ... I remember 2007. A young Tuan got on his computer at 11:55 to sign up for IMLP and saw a message that says "registration opens at noon." At exactly at high noon, a message appeared that said "sold out!"

I believed my exact words were "sons of bitches!"

It's always a gamble to sign up online. Folks in the past have gotten into the system, only to be kicked out due to heavy traffic. IM Wisconsin had to restart their registration signup a week later due to the initial surge in bandwidth that brought down the registration site.

If you are going to sign up online, it might be a good idea to solicit someone to help you sign up on a different computer. The year I signed up for IMFL, it sold out in something like 11 minutes. My sister was on one computer, I was on another. She got in and I didn't, so she signed up using my account and credit card info.

I believed her words were "I got in. Now what?"

I believed my exact words were "click the damn submit button!"

Also, you're not in until they give you a confirmation #. Successufully logged into the registration page on active.com does not mean that you will get a slot, so don't waste your time filling out the 50 stupid questions that they have on there. Just type in "a" in all the required fields and move on. No one cares what you put in the "why do you want to be an Ironman" answer box. Don't waste your time explaining your human interest story while others are getting your slots.

Tuan

POSTED: 7/13/12 12:07 PM

yes, online registration opens @ noon on Monday 23-July.

http://ironmanlakeplacid.com/athletes/faq/

-Ferguson

RJohnson1979's ravatar RJohnson1979    JOINED: 9/13/09    POSTS: 81
POSTED: 7/13/12 12:27 PM

I got in for the 2011 race online by hitting refresh on the active.com page a few minutes before noon and having answers to the questionaire already filled in on a separate page to just cut and paste. Not sure that it mattered but it did sell out that year shortly after opening. 2012 stayed open online a day or so.

If you're booking a hotel you should start calling right after you register to find out when their booking for 2013 race week will start.

Hope that helps someone!

Ryan

POSTED: 7/13/12 3:38 PM

a

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 7/13/12 3:50 PM

For my two Lake Placid Ironman, I stayed at the Northwoods Inn right on Main Street. It is maybe a 2-star hotel, but it is very convenient. I parked my car on Thursday and did not use it again until Monday to go to the Award Luncheon. Stores, bars, restaurants, etc. are all right outside the front door of the hotel. The Expo, Mirror Lake, and the transition area are only a couple blocks away. Parking in town can be tough if you stay outside of town and the streets were packed all week. There are numerous other options in town or the surrounding areas (e.g., Saranac Lake) are also available. Book a room early as they fill up quickly. Prices are “adjusted” for the Ironman and a minimum of 4 to 7 days is usually required.

However, there are always cancellations so you may be able to find a room closer to race day. In 2010, there were a bunch of cancellations just prior to the Ironman. I spoke to many people who got rooms the days prior to the Ironman in town and without the typical 5-day minimum.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria