CREATED: 07/03/12 by afava REPLIES: 85
nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
RE: 2013 Featured Club Ironman - Lake Placid
POSTED: 7/23/12 12:53 PM

Hugh - yes! It would be great to train with you

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 7/23/12 12:56 PM

IN!! It'll be great to train with everyone.

rachelricker    JOINED: 10/8/11    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 7/23/12 2:42 PM

In as well! First IM! Very excited!

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 365
POSTED: 7/23/12 3:46 PM

I'm IN!!!! I'm sooo excited about it!!!!

hahleewude's ravatar hahleewude    JOINED: 12/18/10    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 7/23/12 4:22 PM

In... it will be my first.

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 7/23/12 4:46 PM

Wowzas! I think we have close to 40 DC Tri members registered for Placid 2013.

Let us know if you're in here: http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Race.Featured.

If you haven't already, start looking into places to stay. This thread is a good place to coordinate and share info.

Andrea

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 547
POSTED: 7/23/12 5:27 PM

In as well thanks to Phil. Count me in for grabbing a place to stay.
- Adam

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 507
POSTED: 7/23/12 5:33 PM

I'll be there supporting everyone next year. Placid is a beautiful course but it kicked my butt enough this year.

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 178
POSTED: 7/23/12 6:57 PM

General entries are sold out. There down to foundation slots...

JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 7/24/12 7:36 AM

In as well. From all the FB posts it looks like DC Tri is going to have quit a showing at Placid in 2013.

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 7/24/12 9:09 AM

I came out of retirement for this one too. And, I wasn't even thinking of signing up until I saw all the FB posts yesterday. And then to see general entries still available later in the afternoon, I just couldn't resist.
Now I'm hoping for another mild and snowless winter.

JayC101's ravatar JayC101    JOINED: 2/27/11    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 7/24/12 3:12 PM

Since this has been billed as a DC Tri Club race, was there any thought to whether the club was planning on doing anything to help out with housing for the event, either in securing more spaces or helping with costs??? I know DC Tri Club members Elaine and Cat have been working on trying to secure some houses, but I also know the number of people who need housing is growing beyond what they had originally secured.

POSTED: 7/24/12 3:49 PM

Hi Jay - while the Board is not able to secure housing for folks going up to Placid, the fact that we have lots of people racing means that those interested can potentially lower lodging costs through group houses. We also benefit from members who have been up to Placid before and can share their experiences. (Some helpful advice from Kevin and Matt on this thread above.)

Perhaps someone else can take lead on securing another group house for folks interested? There are houses still available through homeaway and vrbo.

Also, there are a number of hotel options listed on the ironmanlakeplacid website. Most of them have not yet released rooms for 2013. For example, I called the Courtyard Marriot and they will be releasing rooms on August 14 at 10 am. 5 night minimum stay.

Finally, camping is a great budget option. Here's one brainstorm for folks on a budget but who also want to make sure they are not in a tent in the rain the night before Ironman: The Adirondak Loj is about 6 miles from Lake Placid. They have bunk houses for 6 people at around $50 a night per person (including breakfast) and no minimum night stay. They still have availability if a group wanted to book the whole bunk room. (I love this place as it's a great starting point for high peaks region hikes but that's another trip :-)).

Andrea

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 462
POSTED: 7/25/12 1:23 PM

I have checked around for housing options:

3-4 bedroom townhouse runs $3,250 to $4,250 for a week.
5-6 bedroom houses are in the $5K range. Any interest in joining in on a house?

Kevin

rpcvadriana    JOINED: 1/3/12    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 7/25/12 1:42 PM

I expected lodging to be expensive but...wow! What's the general amount people spend for lodging during IMLP?

Thanks Andrea for the info on camping - my bank account would prefer this if others are interested.

Adrianne

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 219
POSTED: 7/26/12 1:42 PM

yes, Lake Placid is a tiny town so accommodations are limited. Your first challenge was getting a slot so congratulations if you made the cut! Your next challenge is securing a place to stay. Please see my previous posts on this thread- hopefully it helps guide you a bit.

I found out why it was so difficult this year to find accommodations... it literally hit me in the face during 2.4 miles of Fight Club last Sunday. WTC, in all their infinite wisdom, increased the size of the field from ~2,500 to just shy of 2,900. Not only does that make for a more crowded race but it also puts additional pressure on the already limited infrastructure of the town.

I would recommend staying as close to the Olympic Oval as possible. The town is very walkable so, the closer you are, the more you'll be able to relax and enjoy the experience. Race prep and stress on race morning will be greatly reduced if you can stay within a 1 mile radius.

There are plenty of hotels and houses available in that perimeter but you'll certainly pay a bit more for the convenience. If you're looking to stay further out to save a few bucks, just remember the additional stress it will cause and factor that into your decision. Travel restrictions due to road closures during the race will make anyone in your support crew city bound for the duration of the race. About the only option for staying further out that won't be effected by road closures would be the hotels & houses up Saranac Ave (Rt 86 heading NW out of town). Rt 73 heading South out of town and Rt 86 heading NE out of town will be totally blocked off (those are the only 3 access roads to town).

As previously mentioned, one of the ways to save is to go in on a group house. Be careful not to overcrowd though... just imagine several anxious triathletes competing for bathroom time a few hours before the race!! You may be safer treading water in Mirror Lake!!

To give you a bit of insight as to demand for next year, I tried to re-book the room I stayed in this year THE DAY AFTER I CHECKED OUT AND IT WAS ALREADY BOOKED!!! Whatever you decide to do, get it sorted and pull the trigger sooner rather than later!!!

Most properties will require a 5-night minimum stay and also require a 50% deposit so be prepared to deal with that up front.

Any other questions, feel free to email me directly or reply to this thread.

-Ferguson

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 462
POSTED: 7/26/12 3:46 PM

I was able to rent a 2-bedroom house from this Adirondack by Owner site: www.adkbyowner.com. Prices seem a little cheaper than going through a realtor.

chocha's ravatar chocha    JOINED: 1/7/10    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 7/30/12 1:42 PM

Hi -- Suzanne here. Totally into going in on a house (+ 1). And training!

kajlau's ravatar kajlau    JOINED: 7/10/10    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 8/04/12 2:16 PM

Interested in Joining in on a house also.

Kaj

POSTED: 8/07/12 2:17 PM

We got a message from some Annapolis-based triathletes that are headed up to Placid for the 5th time next year. They have some extra bedrooms in their house and would love to have some DC Tri'ers join them. Message me (click on afava above) and I'll forward you the details.

Andrea

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria