Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Newbie in Columbia Heights/Petworth
CREATED: 11/07/13 by kfristensky REPLIES: 4
kfristensky    JOINED: 11/7/13    POSTS: 3
Newbie in Columbia Heights/Petworth
POSTED: 11/07/13 12:08 PM

Hello everyone! Just joined today and am hoping to see you guys soon. This past year I've been rather plagued by a tendon injury, so I don't think I'll be able to do much running, but I want to get the swimming and cycling in if I can! A bit about myself:

Moved to DC in January 2013 by way of NJ by way of Colorado by way of England.

Race history- Edinburgh 1/2 marathon 2012, Connemarathon 2012, Lowell 1/2 marathon 2009, Cape Cod 1/2 marathon 2009; NJ sprint triathlons July & August 2009 (2009 was a good year!)

I've been struggling with a posterior tibial tendon injury ever since the marathon last April 2012, so currently I can only run 1 mile twice a week. (If anybody has any miracle cures/potions/spells for this I am all ears!!) To be honest cycling is my least favorite of the triathlon activities, but I've never trained with a group before or done group rides so maybe those are better. I love swimming, but of course getting to a pool regularly has been the biggest barrier to that. I'm hoping to join the National Capital Area YMCA soon and start swimming there, and I'd love to have company! I'm tentatively optimistic that I'll be able to run a 5k next spring.

Other than that, I do yoga regularly at a studio with locations in Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan if anybody's looking for a yoga buddy.

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 366
RE: Newbie in Columbia Heights/Petworth
POSTED: 11/07/13 12:49 PM

If you are a DC resident, you get to swim at the DC pools for free! If you don't mind the bus ride (depending on where you live), Wilson Aquatics Center is one of the prettiest free pools you will go to in the area.

POSTED: 11/07/13 3:11 PM

Hmmm that is about a 35-minute bike ride for me, so I don't think that's likely to happen regularly. It looks like the Marie Reed Aquatic Center is pretty close to where I live, so that is certainly preferable to $73/month at the Y!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1786
POSTED: 11/08/13 11:43 AM

At any rate, you might come to the fun club swim meet on Nov 23, as a vol or a competitor, at the UDC pool, not that far away. You might also check out the club-sponsored group spin sessions in another several months.

POSTED: 11/08/13 11:59 AM

Oh I could probably volunteer at the meet on the 23rd. Would I sign up for that on the "volunteer" tab on the left?

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria