Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Capital Sprints?
CREATED: 09/28/09 by anthonyacook REPLIES: 15
anthonyacook's ravatar anthonyacook    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
Capital Sprints?
POSTED: 9/28/09 10:56 PM

I received a postcard at Nations Tri introducing the 2010 Capital Super Sprint Series for next summer in DC.

Their website is only a splash page. (www.capitalsprints.com)

Does anyone have any intel on this?

Thanks.

Tony

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
RE: Capital Sprints?
POSTED: 9/28/09 11:25 PM

Nothing so far. I'm hoping that the sprint series will take place in the late spring. I would think that the organizers will avoid the month of June because the ITU race will take place around June 20 and the Eagleman Ironman 70.3 will take place on June 13. (I think it's the closest 70.3 tri to DC.)

I guess that leaves July and August available. Maybe it could be a lead-in to next year's Nation's Triathlon? Anyway, I haven't been able to find any confirmed info either. The inaugural ITU race this year wasn't announced until just a couple months before race day. I hope the Capital Super Sprint people give more notice than that.

July and August would be awfully hot for an outdoor triathlon series in DC though.

[UPDATE: The ITU will not be returning to DC in 2010.]

dcrainmaker's ravatar dcrainmaker    JOINED: 3/24/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 1/20/10 3:25 AM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard anything more on this? Their site is basically the same as 6 months ago. Given this is when most folks are planning out the year (well, most folks are well into/done with that), it seems like they might have missed the boat here a bit.

Bueller?

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 1/20/10 10:33 AM

ITU is coming back to DC? I didn't think this was the case? What's new?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1312
POSTED: 1/20/10 11:27 AM

By asking this question we know who went to the DCTri holiday party and who didn't ... or who were drunk and who weren't :)

1. ITU is not coming back at least not in 2010
2. The June 20th tri that is referenced is a new one that is organized by the same folks that organizes the Nations Triathlon
3. At the holiday party we were told (by the guy that runs it) that an announcement about the event is coming and that DCTri folks will get special treatment as far as registration is concerned (i.e., registration earlier than the rest of the world). I'm pretty sure when the time is right, you will hear about it on this board and in the Newsletter. I think that they are still finalizing stuff.
4. The course will be pretty much the same as the age group course at the ITU.

This message was brought to you for free by a guy who knows nothing so the info in it may or may not be correct. For the correct version, please send me money.

Tuan

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 1/20/10 12:15 PM

Thanks Tuan -

The only social life I have outside of vertical swimming antd other training (alone) is planning and executing my daughter's playdates.

Also, I searched for www.capitalsprints.com and google asked me if I meant "capital prints". So the planning on that one must be virtually non existant or in a holding pattern.

Good luck to all race organizers - I can only imagine that getting permits in the District is a #$%&@.

mdgoalie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 1/20/10 6:53 PM

Tuan,

Do you happen to have the race organizer's email addres or contact information? I'm looking to set up a triathlon to benefit the nonprofit group Higher Achievement (where I work) and would love to talk with him/her about it.

Thanks,
Mike

POSTED: 1/20/10 7:10 PM

Mike,

I don't know the organizers of the race but Travis Siehndel is DCTri's ambassador to that group and and Michelle Hamburg actually works for those folks. I would suggest that you contact Travis for info/leads. Travis' email address can be found in the below link.

http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Club.Board_of_Directors

Tuan

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 1/21/10 2:28 AM

Correct, the ITU is not coming back to DC in 2010. I posted the previous message well before the ITU announced their decision.

The new sprint/Olympic tri in DC will take place at around the same time as ITU did last year, mid/late June.

But is the new sprint/Olympic Washington DC Triathlon the final version of the Capital Super Sprint series? That is, will there only be the Washington DC Triathlon and the Nation's Triathlon this year in DC? Or will there be a sprint series in addition to those two?

POSTED: 4/29/10 1:15 PM

I just received an email from the Capital Sprints people. So I guess they really do exist.

It looks like their sprint "series" will consist of just two splash 'n dash races, on June 6 and August 8. The races will be 300m swims (in a long course/50m pool) followed by a 5K run. The location is MLK Park in Silver Spring. (I don't where that is exactly but I'm sure you can find it on Google Maps.)

Here's the updated link for the series:

http://capitalsprints.com/orignal_index.html

I have to admit that I'm a little underwhelmed by this. The postcard advertisement made it sound like something much cooler, like an OWS sprint series downtown or at West Potomac Park and Hains Point.

The June 6th race is one week before Eagleman. Maybe this splash 'n dash could work as a final pre-race tune-up for Eagleman. It's short enough that it shouldn't affect the taper for the HIM. If I don't do that one, I might consider doing the August 8th race. Maybe.

POSTED: 4/29/10 1:19 PM

It's $55 for the 1st race ($65 for non-USAT members). Sounds kind of pricey for an indoor swim/run event. But I've never done one of these indoor sprints. Maybe that's a normal price for this area.

POSTED: 4/29/10 1:33 PM

MLK Park is in my backyard. It's where I go to swim. The 50m pool is an outdoor pool. They have two swimming facilities there, one outdoor and one indoor. Both are opened during the summer season. Paint Branch trail (i.e., the run portion) is a narrow trail somewhat like the C&O towpath in GTown.

That park is too small to do any kind of biking so that's probably why there is no bike option. I do agree that the it's a bit pricey with or without a bike leg.

Before everyone consider going there to use the 50m pool to do their practice swims, the only times that I have ever seen that pool opened up for 50m lap swims are when the high school kids, swim clubs, or master clubs rent it out. The rest of the time it's wide open like your apartment/condo type pool.

Tuan

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 4/29/10 1:42 PM

@NationsTri folk are charging $55 for a @!$ Capital Super Sprint in a pool. Swim/Run/Ripoff. http://njy0yjd.xrt.me #triathlon

That is absolutely too high of a price for a 300 meter swim followed by a 5k.

Chinquapin used to have a biathlon (they called it a biathlon - swim/run) years ago. $10 inc a yellow t-shirt.

There is no reason why a micro event would cost $55 plus the b.s. active.com service charge.

If you're interested, I'll time you swimming at Hains Point and running a 5k for $50.

POSTED: 4/29/10 6:33 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only one surprised by the price. I know Nation's Tri and WDC Tri are also more expensive than many other races of similar distance but at least those are in open water and you get to ride and run past some of the majestic monuments and memorials on the Mall.

On second thought, I probably won't sign up for these events. I'll probably try to get an extra OWS practice on those weekends instead.

sleenaerts's ravatar sleenaerts    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 29
POSTED: 4/29/10 8:02 PM

Just received an e-mail today about a new splash n' dash series in Silver Spring, MD put on by Capital Sprints. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks $55 per race to do a 300 meter swim and a 5K run is a bit steep. I moved here from Colorado, and back there they have a splash and dash every week in Boulder. It cost $15 to $20 and entails a 1500 meter open water swim and 5K run (plus, you got to do the race with a lot of the pros who live in Colorado). It includes a T-Shirt and some cool swag from Go Fast, Velo News and other CO-based companies. I'll be surprised if they get a lot of people signing up for the series at that price. I know I won't be. Too bad, I was excited about the idea of a sprint series or even splash and dash series.

POSTED: 4/29/10 8:08 PM

We could use a short duathlon series here too. For those of us (like me) who are still back-of-the-pack on the swim. I can do distance just fine but my freestyle speed hasn't progressed at the same rate... yet.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria