Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

Eagleman Half IM Roll Call
CREATED: 06/04/10 by bcfrank REPLIES: 105
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 524
RE: Eagleman Half IM Roll Call
POSTED: 6/06/10 9:22 PM

Well, I can already guarantee that I won't be in the running for an AG award (this year!) so 83/84 is the magic number for me too. I have a sleeveless wetsuit, which will be more comfortable in the warmer water temperatures. It's also a lot easier to get that thing off than with a full wetsuit.

So for now, I'm planning to wear the wetsuit. But I'll test it out at the OWS practice on Sat. and see how it feels.

As for bike/run gear, I would wear a DC Tri Club jersey if I had one but since I don't, I won't. I'll wear the same colors that I am in my avatar photo, white tri jersey top (with some small silver/gray markings and faint yellow markings) and black tri shorts. Same LG Rocket Air aero helmet too, and the red/black Felt S32 tri bike. Asics Speedstar 4s for the run, either a rocket red or blood red color, depending on your perspective.

One difference is that I'll wear a white Halo headband this year instead of the royal blue one in my photo. I also plan to wear a white running cap over the headband on the run. It looks awkward but I've found that the cap alone doesn't keep the sweat out of my eyes. I'll need the cap to shield my face from the midday sun, even with my large sunglasses.

Tuan, I hope you're not joking about being slow on the swim. I'm really hoping for many slow swimmers out there, just to ensure that I don't DFL the swim. I shouldn't have any problems making the swim cutoff time but I certainly am not going to be blazing through the water. I'll be a bit more respectable on the bike and run. And just watch out for me on the T3 transition. I'll be kicking butt there. Wait, there's no such thing as a T3 transition? Now they tell me.

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 6/06/10 9:35 PM

On race day USAT will make sure that the water temp read 78 even is the have to put the thermometer in the middle of the Bay 20 ft under

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 954
POSTED: 6/06/10 9:38 PM

You didn't tell us what color socks you were going to wear.... though maybe you're going sockless.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 524
POSTED: 6/06/10 9:40 PM

I never wear socks on the bike, even in training rides. For the run, my usual white Injinjis (the ones with the separate toe compartments).

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 6/07/10 7:43 AM

Speaking of gear, I am planning on ditching the aero helmet for this race and going with my lighter/better vented road helmet. Any thoughts there?

Also, curious to compare fueling strategies with other eagleman racers. My plan is 2 one-hour bottles of perpetuem and water on the bike, heed and water in my fuel belt for the run. Also going to use s-caps or endurolytes plus hammer gel every hour. Packing anti-fatigue caps as well though will use them as-needed.

Matt

POSTED: 6/07/10 6:10 PM

Is there an official OWS practice on Saturday? Or can we just head out into the water whenever we want on Saturday for a short practice? I don't see anything on the official website.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
POSTED: 6/07/10 6:56 PM

The buoys will be laid out on Saturday. Go pick up your race packet, check in your bike, and go for a dip in the Chesapeake. you can swim portions of it or the complete course. There will be more buoys laid out on race day but the general course outline will be there. There will be plenty of people out there doing their practice swim.

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 6/07/10 6:56 PM

Quoted from the official Eagleman website, and also linked as "This document contains IMPORTANT INFORMATION PLEASE READ!" in the last email to all race participants:

Check out the course Saturday or before. You can swim but you do so at your own risk as we do not provide lifeguard support.

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 6/07/10 7:13 PM

that's quite a detailed list of apparel.

HillOE's ravatar HillOE    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 76
POSTED: 6/08/10 11:13 AM

"swimming" around buoys on dry land is not an option Tuan...sorry.

I'm camping - blue Forrester, 7 year old child, very large orange tent....approach at own risk. Plan on Focking Good Cookies for DC Tri Tent (if not eaten prior), cupcake hamburgers are for training tris only (sorry).

this is my first half...le sigh.

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 6/08/10 11:43 AM

i guess i'll have to find someone with a travel alarm so i can wake up in the morning . that'd be funny to oversleep a $300 race .

Nate's ravatar Nate    JOINED: 2/23/10    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 6/08/10 11:50 AM

I'll be there volunteering!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1748
POSTED: 6/08/10 4:07 PM

In, for the AquaBike (PigeonMan), and vol'ing. Staying in Cambridge, MD not MA. Driving in Sat afternoon. Can take one other, or will take a ride.

jules    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 110
POSTED: 6/09/10 1:46 PM

I am in....hot weather, jellyfish and all....should be fun! Let's hope it doesn't get as hot as it was two years ago. Luckily we will have a great DC Tri contingent out there racing and volunteers to cheer us on!

See you all on Sunday!

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 6/09/10 2:18 PM

I'll be there - still holding out hope, against all odds and weather reports, for a cool, wind-free day!

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 6/09/10 4:36 PM

Trisha, that is the best joke in this thread so far.. an eagleman race that is cool and wind free. LOL

mcbkrun's ravatar mcbkrun    JOINED: 6/17/09    POSTS: 32
POSTED: 6/10/10 11:24 AM

90+ degrees and warm winds blowing ! I'm in....anyone sharing a room around Cambridge?

jvance    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 6/10/10 3:50 PM

I'm in. At least it will be a dry heat, right? No? Poop. I'll be the blubbering whimpering mess around mile 9 on the run.

pmparker's ravatar pmparker    JOINED: 5/13/10    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 6/10/10 6:22 PM

I'm in! My first attempt at 70.3! So, it sounds like 'hoping' for a not-so-warm and wind-free race is something to laugh at???

POSTED: 6/10/10 8:08 PM

The forecast keeps changing from day to day but you should expect a midday high in the upper 80s to low 90s for Sunday, just in time for many of us to be starting our half marathons. But the wind might be kind of nice on the run. I think it will help cool us down a bit. There could also be some moderate cloud cover (and a stray T-storm here and there).

The highs during this week have been in the low 80s. It's only on Sat. and Sun. when the temperature will shoot up to the high 80s/low 90s. Perfect timing. Load up on the water at the aid stations!

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria