DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

Eagleman Half IM Roll Call
CREATED: 06/04/10 by bcfrank REPLIES: 105
HillOE's ravatar HillOE    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 76
RE: Eagleman Half IM Roll Call
POSTED: 6/11/10 8:06 AM

Jelly Watch!

Getting stung by a jellyfish is among summer's beach bummers. This summer, though, the sting may be less for swimmers in Chesapeake Bay, in Maryland and Virginia, the largest estuary on the United States'
East Coast.

Regions of the Chesapeake Bay can be notorious hotbeds for the sea nettle, Chrysaora quinuecirrha—a jellyfish with a veil of transparent stinging tentacles.

Now researchers are tracking sea nettles in the Chesapeake and posting a "nowcast" map every Friday that shows the likelihood of close encounters.

The map is posted at
http://chesapeakebay.noaa.gov/forecasting-sea-nettles/

Though not as threatening as toxic algae, "the sea nettle can actually prevent swimming in much of the Chesapeake for the entire summer," said Raleigh Hood, a report co-author and biological oceanographer at the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science, in Cambridge.
"In some places you'd be hard-pressed to swim without hitting one," he added.

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 6/11/10 8:32 AM

It's a good thing that I'm such a rockstar swimmer. Those jellies will never catch me with my signature zig-zag swimming technique!

kdoliver's ravatar kdoliver    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 6/11/10 8:53 AM

Good luck everyone!!! I wish that I was going to be there. No jelly fish here, but plenty of heat and wind.

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 263
POSTED: 6/11/10 8:55 AM

That map shows a very low jelly count...one can always hope!

starcaro's ravatar starcaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 60
POSTED: 6/11/10 9:18 AM

I'll be there this weekend trying to avoid the jelly fish and then taking my sweet ass time on the bike and the run.

jane456's ravatar jane456    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 69
POSTED: 6/11/10 9:47 AM

I'm in!

Lindsey

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 6/11/10 10:02 AM

I'm in for the swim - my frist time doing a relay.

Does anyone know - for packet pickup - do all relay members have to pick up the packet at the same time (as a group) or can we each go in person - individually.

My relay members are coming at a different time so it may be not ideal to coordinate for package pickup. hopefully, we'll be better coordinated for the race -

amacos's ravatar amacos    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 157
POSTED: 6/11/10 11:34 AM

In! Can't wait to see everyone this weekend!
Cheers! A&M

courtr26's ravatar courtr26    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
POSTED: 6/11/10 1:36 PM

Good luck everyone! Can't wait to see the DC Tri uniforms on the course. I like the jelly fish report. Hopefully they aren't out there yet!!

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 146
POSTED: 6/11/10 2:22 PM

I'm in. First time doing a 70.3 AquaBike. Looking forward to see all the DC tri colors there!
Dena

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 6/11/10 2:28 PM

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who doesn't enjoy getting stung by jellyfish. I mentioned the topic a couple months ago and some person got really offended by my post (bringing it up in subsequent threads where I didn't mention jellyfish at all).

All I said was that I didn't want to get stung. I didn't say anything about hurting jellyfish (except for maybe hurting their feelings in a forum post). I would want to steer clear of them in any case so I don't see what the objection is to stating that I don't like getting stung.

I've only heard about some isolated cases of run-ins with jellyfish last year, more in the Sat. swim practicing than in the race itself. But I think a couple people may have gotten swiped by jellyfish last year.

I've read conflicting reports about whether vinegar can help ease the burning after getting out of the water. Some say it helps. Others say it only helps with box jellyfish stings. (There are no box jellyfish in the Chesapeake.) A common recommendation seems to be hot saltwater. I don't know where I would have access to that on race day so I guess I'll just have to hope for the best. And let you all provide cover for me! I'll be drafting (or trying to) on the swim.

ecurunr04's ravatar ecurunr04    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 6/11/10 3:12 PM

I wouldn't worry to much about the stinging aquatic creatures if they are even there at all. If you do happen to brush up against one it will feel like hot sand (not too bad). I am very timid when it comes to jellies because I got nailed by a Portuguese man o'war (jellyfish on steroids) a few years ago in a race and still have nasty scars from it. Point is, Eagleman didn't freak me out last year, even though I knew there were going to be a couple of nettles out there. So those of you who are concerned about stings, put your mind at ease and just focus on the race. Worry about that person that keeps tapping your foot on every other stroke! Good luck to everyone racing.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 6/11/10 3:16 PM

Thanks. That's reassuring. I think I've tended to confuse the two (jellyfish and Portuguese man 'o war), especially since I always remember the image of my father's huge scar on his knee from an encounter, probably with a man 'o war, although he always says it was a jellyfish. He probably doesn't know the difference.

My main focus is going to be on beating the heat during the run. It's going to be hot!

lbrinkac's ravatar lbrinkac    JOINED: 2/4/10    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 6/11/10 5:52 PM

Does anyone have an idea of how early we need to be there to get reasonable parking?

POSTED: 6/11/10 8:35 PM

I'll probably park at the school parking lot/shuttle stop area.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 454
POSTED: 6/12/10 5:57 AM

This is the first year that the Great Marsh and/or the sports fields are not available for parking. I am guessing you need to arrive around the time transition opens (5 am ?). Street parking will be very tight this year with roughly 2,000 racers, volunteers, and spectators. The school lot & bus may be the best option if you plan to arrive a little later.

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 6/12/10 12:44 PM

I swam this morning so here's the swim/jelly report. Disclaimers: remember that this is my first tri since 2006 and swimming is not a strong suit. Therefore, your impression may vary.

I was in the water around 11 am and swam most of the course. No jelly sightings, stingings, etc. There were quite a few other swimmers as well and no one said anything about having problems.

I'd say that the water temperature was at the high end of wetsuit legal. I talked to people who swam in just bathing suits and they were perfectly comfortable. Some were planning on a bathing suit tomorrow, some were going to wear a wetsuit tomorrow anyway because they felt more comfortable and faster in a wetsuit. I wore a long sleeve wetsuit and was comfortable and did not overheat. However, I can definitely see this as one time where I might use a sleeveless if I had one. While the parts of my body that were in the water were fine, my arms did seem to get warmer than I'm used to.

There were 4 buoys out today. You can stand out to the first buoy. I'm 5'1" and I could stand at the first buoy. Heading out, the buoys were a little hard to sight after the first. I think this was a combination of things - the position of the sun, the bit of current and surge there was today. There's a white tent-like building that I used to sight knowing that buoys were to the left of the building. It worked pretty well. Sighting on the way back was easier - there are two white buoys marking the start line that I could use.

I haven't checked the tide tables for tomorrow. At 11 today, it was against the current on the way out and being pushed on the way back in. As a result, I took about 10 minutes between buoys to get out and about 6 on the way back. The chop was a little greater after the first buoy but I've swum in worse at Sandy Point.

Hope this helps.

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 6/12/10 4:35 PM

Great info thanks. I am psyched! Terry

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1287
POSTED: 6/13/10 9:24 PM

Brutal conditions today. If you finished, you did well. Congrats to all.

Water temp (79 degrees) was under USAT guideline for wetsuit optional (i.e., below 84 degrees) swim but yet was not allowed. I know that it's the RD that makes the final call but still not something you want to hear in the transition area on race morning.

The bad ass award for the day goes to Lindsey Bachman. She wiped on on the bike, got bloody, got back on the bike, and finished not only the bike but also the run. Didn't even go into the med tent afterward. That's one bad ass mother.

The second bad ass award goes to me. I swam without a wetsuit and didn't even cry during the race.

Tuan

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 6/13/10 9:49 PM

Tuan you are right...brutal is the word. Anybody know why they started the race late? I've never seen that happen at a tri before but maybe some have...

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria