Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

Eagleman Half IM Roll Call
CREATED: 06/04/10 by bcfrank REPLIES: 105
clcohen's ravatar clcohen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 95
RE: Eagleman Half IM Roll Call
POSTED: 6/14/10 6:41 PM

Bottom line: I decided post-signing up to focus on the bike, to I can't complain about having my worst 1/2 IM swim and run split EVER. I had my best bike split, so I am happy. It was still a miserable race.

SWIM: It was great to hear AFTER the race about the swim being longer and others having issues, but it was incredibly dispiriting to walk out of the water and realize it just took you almost an hour to get through the swim. I echo the comments about not being able to swim a straight line. I was never anywhere NEAR a bouy. Even the turnaround bouys - I was maybe 20 meters off. I got to the bikes, and didn't have to look hard for mine - it was the only one on the rack.

BIKE: The bike was nothing but fun for me. There were some definite signs of heat - the water in the bottles got warmer in each aid station, and I threw up anything I tried to put in my system other than water after mile 30. But I didn't really notice. I've always been back-of-the-pack on the bike, and gave up tris this year to focus on the mountain bike. At this race, I was FINALLY passing people. This is a novelty I was cherishing. I had a flat before getting out of tranisition (overinflated tires?), and still averaged over 20 mph. Total score for me.

The bike training supplanted any running I was doing though, and I've only managed about 3 miles a week over the last 3 months. I knew this run would be slow, and I didn't mind at all. I'm usually of the "one foot in front of the other, enjoy the scenery" mentality. I expected slow. I didn't expect miserable. I'm a lifelong runner, and never understood until yesterday how people could "not like running." I mean, who doesn't like running? Guess who forgot the salt pills on the run?

ME! I had a major salt bonk, exemplified by negative thoughts about the heat, triathlons, triathletes, running, racing, life, you name it. I couldn't break a 10 min pace for the first 4 miles. That first mile was so hard. The heat hits you, the lack of preparation hits you, and you know it's going to be a couple hours til you can throw up while standing still rather than moving.

You know what the worst point was? The 4.4 mile mark of the out-and-back course. You are hot as heck, there's no shade in sight, and you can see the people running down the highway for over 2 miles to the turnaround. A sense of dread sets in because you know that have to get to where they are - 2 neverending miles away - and back to the point you are standing at right now. I managed to get over myself and pick up the pace a bit as the miles went on, mostly because I was so freakin' hot and miserable that I wanted that finish line to come sooner.

Oh yeah. Don't ask Tuan to put sunscreen on your back.

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 6/14/10 6:47 PM

Mine will be short since everybody has describe conditions.
This was my first Eagleman 70.3
I sign for the race because is 1 of the classics races of the area and everybody says how well run it is. So i wanted to confirm.

I got to Cambridge Saturday Afternoon after watching some soccer earlier in the mourning. pickup everything ,ride my bike set it up and went for a practice swim. Thanks to the report here I decided to go without wetsuit since I read it was warm. Went out there and notice a strong current and how warm the water was once you warm up. After 20 minutes of a good swim I knew it was going to be a slow swim and wetsuit were not happening. The water was warm
No complain of my hotel thanks to Ed
Race day
Use the shuttle bus no complain
got to transition first thing I hear is no wetsuit and didn’t took me by surprise as I knew it. So I said 1 or 2 minutes slower no problem. The pro waves began and when I saw that both Pro's men and women were coming out of the water in highs 20 and low 30's minutes I said to my self is going to be slow really slow.

The swim 52 minutes after the pro's began so around 8:08.
I just began swimming and after dealing with some people in the middle of the way I catch my groove and began moving. When I hit the turn around and saw my time of 30 minutes I thought not bad to my surprise I was catching people from 2 waves earlier. I just continue to pass people hit the swim mat in 45 minutes and said ouch !!! Really slow

T1 smooth and just wondering why I was slow but ok

Bike this was my first Eagleman and base on people and trainings ride I knew the possibilities how windy it could get.
The bike ride when smooth I felt well and decide to push. to my surprise there was no drafting at all. May be the lack of wetsuits have something to do. The wind pick up in the last 11 miles or around 11 AM. Around that I already felt the heat so I knew the run was going to be ugly. 2:41:52

T2 smooth and thinking how the hell I was going to survived
Run. everybody has said how it was 93 heat index 101 got the idea. Ran the 1st 3 miles in race pace and after that turn on the survival mode plan of run and walk. And to say hello to as many DCTRI people I saw to cheer them up. time 2:08:39 Total 5:41
Congratulations to everybody who finish it getting through that run was really hard specially between 12:00 and 3:00 as it was the hottest part of the day
My opinion
This was my third 70.3 and base on my other races the race was good but honestly I thought they should have done a better job the run aid stations. First, no wet cold sponges. The cold sponges makes a huge difference on that heat. 2nd
Water 6 oz cup. with that heat you need at least 18 to 20 in every aid station I was expecting bottles. Finally you need another water station between mile 3 and 4 that stretch that is in the middle of no where. Or add another water station some where. Again this complains are base on other 1/2's that I have done that WTC and no WTC.
In general it was good race I recommend it but I think they were not prepare for the none wetsuit swim and the heat.

Congratulations!!! To everybody

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1751
POSTED: 6/14/10 6:53 PM

Just the aquabike, at much-practiced distances on a much-practiced course, but was disconcerting.

We turned in at Value Inn at 10 pm after great pasta supper at Chesapeake Diner. Not a wink of sleep: nerves, unaccustomed surroundings, mistake of working on interesting project before hitting the pillows.

Was in rhythm during swim, tho seemed quite long, numbness in left arm by the end.

First third of bike into wind with aerobars benefited from practice sessions on course. Second third seemed easy due to tail wind. Blunder of misjudging waterstop locations in final third, out of gatorade by mile 45 as heat kicked in. Legs turned to lead, a bit dizzy, knee tweak, limping off the bike. Sunburn; heat rash for third time in last three Bay swims, tho natural Aloe lotion much helps the aftermath.

Now know why like team sports, for it's darn lonely out in the Great Swamp. Spirits picked up whenever ran into a clubber like Dena, Andy McDowell, et al.

I toot my (muted) vuvuzela for all who soldiered through the run; from the side of the road, staggering harriers looked like condemned members of a chain gang...

Perhaps a tree-planting campaign on the bike and run course? Change race name to ShadyMan? Maybe plant bamboo for PeasantMan, tho it's not a leafy plant...

Awful three-hour traffic jam over Bay Bridge trying frenetically to catch flight for business trip. Veered onto side roads twice to avoid traffic, like a chase scene from a badly made thriller. No time to rest, eat, shower, grab work clothes. A marathon day.

Wouldn't say I stank on the plane but, tho the flight was overbooked, had plenty of leg room...

This morn began three days of mountain biking in Huntsville, Alabama during conference down time. 95 degrees, humid. Seems familiar. Right out of the bike shop, ran into a SONIC burger joint. Even more familiar!

Actually looking forward to events stressing backbreaking hills over desolate, exposed flat lands.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 6/14/10 7:14 PM

awesome race reports..

eagleman where when you see the course profile map you say "its a flat course, how hard can it be?"

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 6/14/10 9:48 PM

Congrats to everyone who competed this weekend! It was great seeing you all out on the course. Knowing that I wasn't alone in the hurt locker helped me to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Big thanks to all the volunteers, sherpas, and cheering sections! Three words sum up Eagleman for me: worst. race. ever. Everyone else has covered the brutal weather conditions in plenty of detail, so I'll keep my race report short and sweet. I was a little delirious on the run, which is when I started to Dr. Seuss rhyme about the sun (which inspired my RR):

I do not like swimming without suit,
Too long swim course was no hoot.
I do not like swimming very far,
Especially if there’s no pool bar.
Bike ride was so flat and breezy,
Pedaling non-stop was not so easy.
Puked on the bike, puked on the run,
Sunburned skin is no fun.
I do not like sun here and there
I do not like sun everywhere.
I gutted it out, towards the finish line I ran,
I’m so glad to be done with you, Eagleman.

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 6/14/10 9:56 PM

My first 70.3. Thought I was ready as I had a PR on an OLY at Lake Anna in Apr. In hindsight I should have done more bricks and hot weather running.

Great set up and volunteers but I was disappointed when they delayed the race. I was lucky to be an old guy in the fourth wave (50-54) but I felt for everyone else - just another factor to add to the wetsuit issue.

I am normally a straight-arrow swimmer, average 28 min for OLY distance but I did get knocked off course on that final leg - some kind of current. 51 mins when I got out but I don't check my swim times, just press on.

Bike went fine, stayed "dialed down" as I knew the run would be tough. 2:50 or so on the bike, 19 MPH.

Then the run started and the fun was over. Came out at decent pace but too fast probably. Walk/run by mile four. 2:50 on the run - my worst split ever. I too thought about bailing the first time I had to walk, but I used my Garmin to pick points to run and see how long I could go. Probably most consistent running in the middle but I bogged down again at mile 10. Just plain hot.

Great experience overall for a 70.3 but I wonder how I would have done had it been a little cooler or if I had been more prepared.

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 6/14/10 10:06 PM

I woke up in a tent, no worries. It was 415 and I figured I’d be the first neurotic one awake. About three minutes later a triathlete pulled OUT of the parking lot on the way to the race. No use trying to out-neurotic triathletes.
This is almost my first real race, I’d done a few before but nothing too hairy.
I decided to grab a park space a mile from the transition before realizing that I couldn’t carry all my Shiite in one trip. I had to walk back and forth a couple of times. I felt like a stupid person and my arms hurt. And suddenly I was in a time crunch
Which was fine bc transition was open forever. Awesome!
I was face to face with Natalie Badman, though, at one point. She didn’t seem to scared of my skills.
But I set up transition, etc, and sat in a long line for the lu , chatting with a local. I gave up on peeing, as the line was 45 minutes long and peed in the water when I came out for swim.
I thought I did well on the swim. I was sighting and moving up thru my wave. I ended up unexpectedly on someone’s back all of a sudden and he gave me a hard elbow in the ribs. I made a grunt and realized that it was gonna hurt every time I breathed or moved my torso. It did, too. It still hurts. I know who you are, guy in the red swim cap.
I wont say my time on the swim, but I kept on doing the crawl, sighting, and loving that walk of shame – last 400 meters on foot!
Got on my bike, took out the fake bar end that I had jammed in there for the inspectors (they said no inspectors) and started on it. Less wind than Saturday. But I still could not stay in aero. Maybe the way my saddle is but I had the worst saddle sore on my - where you don’t wanna have a saddle sore. Every time I sat up to eat a packet of gel flavored baby food I would hit the wind and get passed by those who I ‘d passed.
All the time water and bottles and baby food flavored gel , tastes like cake icing, que coño de mierda. I was ready to get off the bike but realized that it could have been windier.
In transition 2 I thought about sunscreen. Feek , I wish I would have stopped to put some on. I be so sunburned now!
I saw Natalie badman running back in as I left. She , of course, looked like she had just gotten out of the shower: very refreshed.
I took off my hot dc tri bike shirt and put on the anonymous black tank top. The last half of the run was ugley. Run 9 minutes, walk three minutes and rub ice on yourself to keep internal organs from exploding. Wanted to puke bc of gel consumption. Found a great running partner that was steady. I let her pull me in.
We came in should to should the last 4 miles. No speaking, but I saw my form mirrored in her and it helped me. I saw her take a salt with a mile to go. That’s weird I thought. It must take more time for salt to work. Then my groin started cramping. She said, just push through. So I did.
In the chute, I let her go first. Then some guy passed me in the last 20 feet and fuckked up my finishing photo.
I felt like total hell afterward, but managed to get a massage. I was wearing my finisher medal too.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 6/14/10 10:25 PM

you know my opinion. If you're going to go through all that trouble, might as well do an Ironman.

Hmm when I meant race reports, I didn't mean post your race reports to the Roll Call thread. Didn't we have a race report section?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1296
POSTED: 6/14/10 10:37 PM

Carol ... when they said that it was a non-wetsuit swim, I was in a state of shock. My body and mind went into shutdown mode. You may have said "please put suntan lotion on my back" but I heard "please write your name on my back with this suntan location."

Tuan

legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 222
POSTED: 6/14/10 10:46 PM

Actually, it doesn't look like we have a race report section on the forum any more. Probably should add that back, it was useful.

Will

POSTED: 6/15/10 12:17 AM

now being that the race was hard..

how many of you are going to sign up for next years race?

all the conditions of a great race to do year after year long race history, fast competitors, kona qualifier, serious triathletes, tough conditions year after year, and great stories to tell afterwards.

if that isn't a recipe to sign up for next year i don't know what is.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 524
POSTED: 6/15/10 12:27 AM

Despite my failed attempt this time, I think I'll sign up again next year (unless finances prohibit it). I need to get back at that course and beat it next year. I need to improve my swimming and also buy new goggles BEFORE the race.

I found it interesting to see some people listed in this year's preliminary online results who didn't make the swim cutoff time. Nor did they make the overall 8:30:00 cutoff time. Even with my slow swim, I think I could have finished well under that time if I had been allowed to continue on with the run. Oh well.

I like the Shady Man idea though.

POSTED: 6/15/10 6:15 AM

Egads you're right Will! No race report section. These stories and others are worth preserving as we used to used them as reference points (in addition to inspiration and pure entertainment). Will look into it.

pmparker's ravatar pmparker    JOINED: 5/13/10    POSTS: 12
POSTED: 6/15/10 9:58 AM

Anyone know anything about the Mountaineer Triathlon August 8 ???

I am very happy to have completed my first 70.3 on my first attempt, and it's somewhat comforting to hear that so many others didn't do as well as they had planned, like me.

I am ready to try again and see if I can do better. Looking for another 1/2 in the next few months... I came across the Mountaineer Triathlon in Morgantown August 8, but it looks like it historically has a small turnout- Anybody know anything about it???

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 6/15/10 10:54 AM

Someone has got to send Sandyc's Dr. Seuss tribute of eagleman to Vigorito - that is so priceless. I have cubicle violation from laughing. Sandy make take Tuan's place on my laugh o meter!

courtr26's ravatar courtr26    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 117
POSTED: 6/15/10 11:08 AM

I had typed up a race report last night and then our internet service went out. I'll keep this one short. Everyone mentioned the brutal heat and long swim. I have to say coming out of the water 10 min. slower than what I had thought I would do was a mental blow and hard to get past for a bit. I thought my watch had broke for a min. ;) The bike was my favorite part and actually went by pretty fast. My training had finally paid off. I was hoping to ave. 22 but still happy with 21.3. Egypt road lived up to its wind hype and slowed me down a bit. Everything was great until a guy tried to run me over in T2 and rammed his bike into my leg. I was more mad than anything. Just a bruise to show for it now luckily.

I usually look forward to getting off the bike and running since typically this is where I can keep strong. Not this race! I have to admit I was totally dreading the run seeing how hot everyone looked out there on the course. My goal was to get from water stop to water stop. Eventually the finish line appeared. Seeing all the DC Tri athletes out on the course really helped me keep going. The volunteers were great (made me mad when I heard a woman yelling at them for ice when clearly the 20 other people around needed the same thing and they were working as fast as they could...definitely not cool when the volunteers are there for us!)

Crossed the finish line in 5:22 so happy I beat my PR which I really didn't expect on a day like this. I had some negative thoughts and doubts about myself on the run but have gotten past that and ready for the next race. Just hope it's not as hot and the swim is the true distance!
Congrats everyone and way to fight that brutal heat!! It's always fun to chat with everyone after the race and share stories.

Courtney

POSTED: 6/15/10 12:04 PM

good to hear that the funny stories are coming in.

afterall, if you haven't had a tough conditions, horrible race time race in a triathlon, you just haven't been doing the sport long. This is honestly where the fun/good stories of triathlons come from.

I have never been more happy to not do this race this year. LOL.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 247
POSTED: 6/15/10 3:53 PM

Hey! Everyone who did the race, DQ'ed or not, deserves a huge round of applause (heck the folks who got DQ'ed after a questionable course and wetsuit decision and biked anyway bc they didn't know any better deserve special kudos). My fairly long RR is on my FB page... and it reiterates what most have already said. I'll keep this shorter...

SWIM: I felt amazing, sighting was good, I was left alone, no jelly fish, felt strong and fast. Not having a wetsuit didn't phase me (but I did worry about a few people...), I like swimming and it was warm - I really didn't want to wear a suit and had it been wetsuit optional (as the rule states, I would have opted no). I got back to transition, not many bikes out... cool... then heard a woman complain her time was 10 minutes slower than expected... I had to ask bc I didn't wear a wrist watch... 44 minutes. Huh? No way! I was expecting 33-35... hmm... that's not right (I've done OLYs without wetsuits in 28... It doesn't take me 16 minutes to swim 400m). Whatever, I felt like I had a great swim so I shook it off and went about my day.

BIKE: I didn't know what I was doing last year and left it all on the bike course and had a crappy run IMHO... so I changed my strategy and chose to stay in Z3 for the ride. It was terribly painful to get passed knowing I'm a faster rider... but a triathlon is won or lost by folks who have (or don't have) the legs to get them through the run...and I knew in those conditions I needed to keep myself dialed in. I actually thought the winds were bad - not the worst I've had out there (bc there were no cross winds) but they were there the whole way.. .usually they're light until mile 40, Sunday they were everpresent and mile 10 was just as hard as mile 40... that was a bummer...but I stuck to my plan, stayed in Z3, got passed by all sorts of folks... but amazingly only lost 2 minutes from last year... wow. (Oh, and Dave - I think, in the tri club bike top - great leapfrogging with you the last 20 miles or so, I was the one in the Endurance Nation kit).

RUN - I thought last year was hot and uncomfortable. That wasn't even close to miserable compared to the hell (literally that hot) that we suffered through Sunday. I had a run strategy, too. That fell apart after mile 3 my legs felt okay but my body just wasn't cooperating... amazingly I was able to keep running... well, shuffling, really. And I passed lots of folks, particularly during the second half, who were walking. My run time was slower than last year by only 2 minutes which I think is a huge accomplishment . . . and I'm fairly sure my ranking went way up in comparison - folks were dropping like flies out there. I had to will myself to keep going, giving myself peptalks along the way...

Not a PR. But I'd say I stuck to my plan and stayed in my box... bc of the messed up swim (at least 8 minutes off), in my heart of hearts I think it should have been a sub 6 hour day for me (my time was 6:02) only 3-4 minutes off my last year time in much much much worse conditions. So, I say it's a W in the win column.

POSTED: 6/15/10 5:50 PM

Perfect place to celebrate your awesome achievements before your much easier Washington DC Tri:
http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Learn.buzz&id=414

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 6/15/10 6:16 PM

Was the DNF rate really 40%? I saw that there were 2523 people who started the race, but the online results show only 1500-something finishers.

Does anybody know?

Matt

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria