Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

National Mall Plan
CREATED: 01/06/10 by lisalisadc REPLIES: 8
lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
National Mall Plan
POSTED: 1/06/10 1:57 PM

The National Park Service is "accepting" suggestions from the public with regards to renovating the Mall.

SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE: http://planning.nps.gov/NAMAquesDEIS.cfm

I read through the report. Here are some of the terrible ideas, thus far:

from the Preferred alternative -
1) paving the gravel sidewalks of the Mall with a "low-maintenance, sustainable and universally accessible" material; [NO, this is awful.]
2) replacing the soil with "engineered" soil that would stand up better to intensive use, and discouraging special events such as the Smithsonian Folklife Festival from being held on the Mall's eastern grassy portions; [NO, this is awful]
3) decreasing the size of the reflecting pool on the west side of the Capitol to allow more space for both demonstrations and a flexible indoor/outdoor space for viewing the Capitol and the nearby Ulysses S. Grant Memorial; [NO]
4) ban temporary event stages and tents on vast swaths of the Mall. In this scenario, the Mall's carousel would be removed "to restore the historic scene," according to the report. [NO!!! This is killing me!!!]

I support the "no build" plan, which would expand facilities (bathrooms, vendors, etc.) w/o ruining the historic nature. What do you support?

SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE: http://planning.nps.gov/NAMAquesDEIS.cfm

Please forward to other athletic groups: kickball, softball, joggers, etc. Remember, the rest of America wants a paved parking lot with McDonald's everywhere.

Read about the proposed changes here: http://voiceofthehill.com/FRONT-PAGE/National-Mall-plan-ponders-br-monumental-changes-to-Mall

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
RE: National Mall Plan
POSTED: 1/06/10 2:01 PM

So you're good with the pot-hole marked gravel paths, the brown swaths of dirt where grass used to be, and the reflecting pool that is so dirty it regularly kills ducks and geese who land in its waters?

Ok, cool...

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 1/06/10 2:16 PM

Yes!!!! Our own fake trail run right in the middle of DC.

Once Fenty cleans up the Anacostia River with his bag TAX, uh I mean 'fee,' we can pump the Anacostia into the Cap Reflecting Pool and have a real open water swim. 19.7 Triathlon anyone?

Btw, I'm not a fan of birds.

flora    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 1/07/10 10:10 AM

Thank you for sending this. I agree it would be awful to pave over the gravel on the Mall and I definitely gave them my 10 cents on that one!!!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1714
POSTED: 1/07/10 11:43 AM

A main concern may be cost. The expense may be into the hundreds of millions, according to some estimates. With the city and national budget in bad shape, could be a bad idea.

Some things might be done on the cheap. E.g., I've heard out-of-town friends complain about lack of food and restrooms on the Mall. Could contract such services out to food vendors and portapotty firms with little budget burden.

Grass does get destroyed sometimes from overuse; need to keep fencing off scruffed areas at times. This work could be contracted out too.

(Mall museums might be opened up at night as in past through fee charged night-time visitors.)

Re tri-related stuff, would like to see the running paths kept open, instead of forcing runners onto streets as sometimes happens. Running past moonlit monuments is one of city's best athletic experiences.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1060
POSTED: 1/07/10 11:21 PM

I don't care too much either way on the Cap reflecting pond. When they drain it and clean up the mountains of duck excrement it's pretty gross and I generally don't like the smell of the area or the mosquito breeding ground in the summer.

I enjoy many of the cultural and social events that are centered around the mall and would hate to see them banned. If brown patches are the price we have to pay for Screen on the Green, Solar Decathlon, Folklife Festival and the many other offerings we are able to experience on the Mall, I'll deal with it.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 1/07/10 11:26 PM

come on you can't really change the reflecting pool, though it may be dirty and such all that takes is a better cleaning and filtration system put in, changine the size of the reflecting pool would be like saying, cut the top 20 ft off of the washignton monument because its too hard to clean that part of the monument, you can't do that, it just changes too much.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1060
POSTED: 1/07/10 11:31 PM

Serious question: Does the Capitol even reflect into the 'reflecting pool?' Or is it just a decorative plaza? If it's just decorative, shrinking it seems like no problem.

If it does actually provide a beautiful reflection of the Capitol, I need to pay more attention when I run by there.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 1/08/10 12:21 PM

Maybe it's for personal reflection. Like wondering why you are the kind of person who spends your vacation looking at a shallow pool of duck droppings.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria