DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Kit Vendor Announced & Kit Design Vote
CREATED: 01/08/13 by rtroll REPLIES: 15
rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 508
New Kit Vendor Announced & Kit Design Vote
POSTED: 1/08/13 6:52 AM

Kit Vendor Details

The DC Triathlon Club is proud to announce the selection of Louis Garneau as our new producer for our custom racing and training kits. The Board initiated a request for proposals in September 2012, and in October and November, nearly 40 volunteers participated in a test panel to evaluate gear from 10 respondents on quality, fit, and comfort. Panelists votes narrowed the options to two finalists. In December, Club President Ryan Troll and Vice President Abby Sanford then engaged the finalists to determine the best process and pricing for our members. The Club Officers approved a final selection of Louis Garneau!

We are very excited to offer Louis Garneau’s high-quality triathlon and cycling apparel to our members for the 2013 season and beyond! DC Triathlon Club members will have a larger variety of triathlon and cycling apparel as well as custom upgrades to choose from to meet their racing and training needs.

In the next few weeks, the Board will present a new process for ordering kits, and this is for certain: our members will get high-quality, DC Tri-branded Louis Garneau triathlon and cycling apparel at a fantastic value. We think you will be very impressed with the turnaround and delivery times that will be made possible through our distributor, Nova Retail Group, as well.

Kit Design Details

Over the course of several months we've been developing a new design for our logo and kit to freshen up our image. We've narrowed down the choices and are looking to our members to weigh in on their favorite designs. Please take a moment to review and rank the kit designs.
Completing this short survey>>

**A link to the kit design concepts can be found from within the survey**

Voting will be open now until NOON on Friday, 11 January.

Please note that the lighter blue kit designs match our existing Champion Systems kit colors. Some colors may look different from computer to computer due to screen calibration.

Ryan
President, DC Tri Club

RE: New Kit Vendor Announced & Kit Design Vote
POSTED: 1/08/13 6:56 AM

Bump - not sure why this didn't appear on the home page

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 1/08/13 9:52 AM

As I appear to be one of the "old timers" in the club, who in fact already has a DC Tri LG top I think it would be cool to keep offering a "retro" look on the bike kits in addition to one that matches the new style.

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 496
POSTED: 1/08/13 1:14 PM

I'm with Joe. And I wish we had the option to vote for keeping the current design...or vote 'none of the above'.

sportsbrajen's ravatar sportsbrajen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 42
POSTED: 1/08/13 1:51 PM

Is anyone else having trouble with the survey? I've tried three different browsers and it keeps changing my votes back to 1,2,3. I assume this means that Ryan favors #1.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 1/08/13 2:09 PM

The survey is a drag and drop order. The numbers will always be 1, 2, and 3 on the left so drag your preference for a kit to the number 1 spot, etc.

Bryan

sportsbrajen's ravatar sportsbrajen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 42
POSTED: 1/08/13 2:17 PM

Thanks, Bryan. Operator error - I was thrown off by the drop downs. :)

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 366
POSTED: 1/08/13 4:16 PM

I know a lot of time and effort went into the design process and to update the club's kit, but could we please have the options of "current design" or "try again."

From the people I've talked too, I'm sorry to say that none of us are too thrilled about our choices. And apparently some of them thought that they could design something sleeker (everyone's a comedian ... right?). But a bit more open process on this would be great. But as it stands right now, I am going to hang on to my current kit until the potomac turns it into a disgusting brown color that I can't wash out.

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 1/08/13 4:26 PM

I'll chime in again as I definitely understand how much of a pain it is to redesign the logo and kits, and how much of a pain this is from the board's perspectives. Regardless of what you guys do or change people will complain (and its a big reason board members don't stay on that long). Tackling the logo and a new kit design at the same time is a lot of change for people. The logo at the least needed to drop the url and switch to a single font (so thanks for finally doing that) but I do agree that giving folks an option to vote on or still buy the original kit design would be a good one.

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 1/10/13 8:00 AM
Attachment: DCTri_oldAndNewLogos.jpg

For the kits, definitely liking the new Design Concept 1, it looks much more updated and clean. I think Abby and the board have done a great job here, especially the exhaustive process of selecting the vendor. I know that coordinating getting sample gear from the vendors and having club members "tri" it on was not easy.

For the logo, maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought the goal was for "exploring cleaning up but not drastically changing our logo." Comparing the two (old and new) in the link attachment (DCTri_oldAndNewLogos.jpg), it seems that just that has been accomplished with the logo. Apologies that the color/resolution is a little off in the attachment, as I only saw the low-res version of the new logo posted.

-Brady

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1796
POSTED: 1/10/13 2:52 PM

I prefer retro, and didn't like the first design at all, as it splits in two the classic logo. The 2nd & third are okay, and I like the current design. Appreciate the work that's gone into this and the feedback.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1334
POSTED: 1/10/13 4:22 PM

I like the new logo, minus the unicycle. The swim and bike pics look progressive, fast, and fresh. The bike looks like a unicorn ... I mean a unicycle.

The new kit design, has too much white. That white is going to turn into brown pretty quickly in some of the places that we race. I think the redness of the kit will stand out at races since not many folks out there do red kits. I like that aspect. However, the design of the red/blue combo does not look like they flow well together.

The top front V shape looks like it's pointing to my crotch. The top back V shape looks like it's pointing toward by buttcrack. The shorts, I really like.

I know a lot of work goes into these things. You will never please everyone. Hopefully the constructive comments from everyone helps.

Tuan

POSTED: 1/10/13 10:42 PM

Just a reminder that tomorrow at Noon we will be shutting down the online poll. Thank you to everyone who has provided their vote thus far (310 of you to be exact as of 1/10/13). For anyone who has not had a chance to have your voice be heard, there is still time left. Please take 1-2 minutes to review the proposed concepts and cast your vote.

Ryan
President, DC Tri Club

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 1/11/13 11:29 AM

Identifying a new kit vendor and design is a huge lift - thanks to Abby, Ryan, Board, gear testers and whoever else I'm missing!

The survey won't let me just vote on the color option so I'm weighing in here. Strong support for the lighter blue, which is the same as the blue in our current kits. I think it's important that we have some consistency between old and new kits.

Andrea

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 375
POSTED: 1/12/13 9:50 AM

I'm a big proponent of Design Concept #2 (Who does #2 work for? It works for me!) along with the dark blue (red, white, and dark blue most closely match the American flag colors!) Not so much a fan of Design Concept #1... although should the people speak their minds and vote #1 into the #1 position, I will bow to the will of the majority and wear the new uni(cycle).

As Peasant Tuan accurately points out (peasants are always grumbling about new legislation!), the stickman in the second leg of the triathlon (my least favorite leg) looks like he is riding a unicycle. Is there any way we can get the artist to add part of the rear wheel, and part of the frame? The power comes from the rear wheel, the steering from the front (kindof an alteration of the old saying about the mullet... business up front, power in the back!)

When will the official switchover occur? I'm sure some of us would like a heads-up so we can buy up some vintage 2000-2012 kits before the stock outs eventually occur, and these throwbacks are fetching $1,000+ on ebay!

This post has had wwwaaayyy too many silly references. Although I hope the serious points made between my lame jokes are considered (and I hope the early 2013 lame jokes will help fuel the creative juices for Ed to write another great end of the year recap!)

-Luke

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 2/01/13 12:21 PM

It's finally here!!

https://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Learn.buzz&id=571

Happy shopping!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria