Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Skyline ride, this Saturday 6/29/13
CREATED: 06/26/13 by nelsb7p0 REPLIES: 8
nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
Skyline ride, this Saturday 6/29/13
POSTED: 6/26/13 8:25 AM

I know I've heard several people interested in making the trip out to Skyline this weekend. I'm open to other ride options, but out & back just seems the easiest, especially if we get a big group.

General Plan

• Meet at 0745 (AM) @ Spelunker's back parking lot at 116 South Street, Front Royal, VA, plan for a 0800 (AM) clip in
  • Park in the next door on the grass behind the white building (green arrow on this map) and along Pine Street (esp. if you plan to do a long ride after 1100 AM to not take up their spaces). The owner at Spelunker's has asked us to do this in the past to save spots in their lot for customers coming & going.
  • If you need to go to the bathroom prior to the start, stop (on your way) at BK or McD's before the 0745 AM meet up at Spelunker's.
  • Distance: varies (48mi to Elkwallow & back, 65mi to Thorton Gap & back, or beyond - Ref: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192532355) + run after - I personally plan to go to Big Meadows (~100mi) + 30 min run
  • Details including elevation profile, http://bikewashington.org/routes/skyline/index.htm, click on Northern Section, bottom right, for more info

I have 1 Shen pass which is good for 4 entries. Anyone else have one? If I recall correctly, it's $30 for a annual pass (good for 4 adults per visit).

It looks like We may have a good size group, so the more that can park on Pine Street, the better.

Post here if you need to coordinate a ride.

-Brady
(login and click on my user name nelsb7p0 to send me a private msg if you have any questions you don't want to post)

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 243
RE: Skyline ride, this Saturday 6/29/13
POSTED: 6/26/13 10:21 AM

I'm planning on doing a double brick this weekend and Skyline would work pretty well for that. I'm probably going to go from Front Royal to Matthews Arm and back. 45 miles or so round trip. Twice with a run after each trip.

Sound like fun to anyone else?

kerrie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 6/26/13 1:12 PM

You and last week convinced me that another ride there might actually be fun before LP. Since everyone over the age of about 10 is likely faster than me, I'm planning to start early, but feel free to ask if you need anything or wave as you pass me!

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 490
POSTED: 6/28/13 6:05 AM

Tempted, but decided to stay local at the end. This year I'm trying to minimize driving to train in hopes of having a little bit of a social life. I'm not getting any younger but I am getting more single by the minute. This is what I'll be doing:

http://connect.garmin.com/course/899572

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 6/28/13 8:15 AM

See you all at the 0745 AM meet up at Spelunker's parking lot.

@Brez - I'm planning to Big Meadows and back, then a 30 min brick.

@KiwiWannaB - never notice the "heat map" feature on Garmin Connect, pretty sweet, enjoy the ride.

-Brady

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 368
POSTED: 6/28/13 8:44 AM

In for Skyline tomorrow. Can't believe it'll be my first time out there this year. Already looking fwd to the Free Jr Cavern Burger and Frozen Custard at Spelunkers!
- Adam

ctmartin's ravatar ctmartin    JOINED: 4/27/09    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 6/28/13 12:42 PM

Looking to join the group ride, planning on 65 miles.

Can anyone point me to a good cue sheet? Don't want to get lost when I (invariably) get dropped. :D

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 490
POSTED: 6/28/13 2:26 PM

@Brady:

tpulham's ravatar tpulham    JOINED: 8/10/12    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 6/28/13 3:20 PM

someone said something to me about needing lights if it's foggy at skyline. is this something we need to worry about tomorrow? are people bringing lights? I don't have lights. can I use the flashlight app on my iphone and tape that to my aerobars?

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria