Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Good bike paths from the Shaw area?
CREATED: 03/14/09 by candrews REPLIES: 3
candrews's ravatar candrews    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
Good bike paths from the Shaw area?
POSTED: 3/14/09 4:33 PM

Hi everyone - I was wondering if anybody had a recommendation on what might be the best bike path to do long rides on from, if I'm coming from the Shaw neighborhood of DC. Do I have to bike down to the Mall or another part of town, or is there anything around this neighborhood (1st and R St NW) that I could pick up? I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area's bike trails so any advice would be appreciated.

Also, if anybody is interested in the Bloomingdale running group that meets Tues/Thurs at 6 am and Sunday for longer runs at 7 am (at 2nd and Rhode Island Ave NW), feel free to email me at pablohoney @ gmail dot com.

Thanks!

Catherine

lucym    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 13
RE: Good bike paths from the Shaw area?
POSTED: 3/15/09 11:13 AM

Hi Catherine,

You can download a great DC area bike trail/bike lane map as a .pdf file form the District Department of Transportation website. I have included the link below, but don't know if the formatting will get messed up on this forum. Regardless, if you search for "DC bike map" you should be able to find it fairly easily.

http://ddot.dc.gov/ddot/cwp/view,a,1245,q,629849,ddotNav,|32399|.asp

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
POSTED: 3/15/09 5:31 PM

The most local popular local trail rides are: MacArthur Blvd to Great Falls and beyond along River Rd., starting from Georgetown; Hains Pt. loops, the local bikers mecca; the hilly W&OD trail (many stop signs until you get past Herndon); the short, hilly Crescent Trail from GT to Bethesda; and the Mt. Vernon Trail (crowded and slow except at early hours). An undiscovered gem is the Northwest and Northeast Branch trail. Further out and more challenging are Mt. Weather and Sugarloaf Mt.

candrews's ravatar candrews    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
POSTED: 3/15/09 5:46 PM

Thanks for the recommendations and map! If anyone ever wants to start a ride on any of those trails from Shaw, ping me at pablohoney at gmail.com.

Catherine

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria