Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Where in the D.C. Area Do Triathletes Live?
CREATED: 12/20/10 by dy04 REPLIES: 9
dy04    JOINED: 12/20/10    POSTS: 2
Where in the D.C. Area Do Triathletes Live?
POSTED: 12/20/10 9:47 PM

I'm thinking about taking a job in D.C., and as I'm sure only fellow triathletes would understand, finding an area to live that's running/cycling friendly is a huge consideration. I'm also a single guy in my 30s, so I don't want to live too far out in the 'burbs and would like to strike the right balance of social life/outdoors access. What are some of the best D.C./VA/MD neighborhoods for triathletes? Is there one particular area that's especially popular with the physically active crowd?

I'd appreciate any tips -- thanks!

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
RE: Where in the D.C. Area Do Triathletes Live?
POSTED: 12/20/10 10:16 PM

As far as DC proper, there is a decently sized Capital Hill contingent. Myself I'm up in NW (Woodley Park), and I know there are a few others as well.

Not that these are all the workouts that DC Tri offers, but just rattling off a few I attend regularly:
Track workouts - wednesday night in Tenleytown (Wilson High School)
Bike workouts - Tuesday/Thurday morning doing Hains Point loops, Saturday and Sunday leaving from Georgetown (@M & Wisconsin).
Swim Workouts - Catholic University (on the red line or easy bike from union station-ish)
Winter run workouts in rock creek park.

You can get to most of those places pretty easily from most parts of DC. Similarly, there are some good bike rides and pools in both Arlington and Montgomery County. So you are going to have decent workouts no matter where you go really. I'd find a neighborhood that fits your personality and work needs and go from there.

I will so though, that in DC proper, you'll have to be going on 60-70+ mile bike rides to really get out on some rural roads, so if the absolute best cycling is important to you and you don't want to drive to do it, being on the outskirts of town may be best.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 12/20/10 10:21 PM

In general, triathletes/active people live everywhere in this region with possibly super high concentrations in Ballston/Clarendon, Cap. Hill, and upper Northwest DC.

If I were you I might instead try to find a place as close as possible to my job (assuming that your work is inside the beltway) - and finding active people to train and hang with will likely then take care of itself.

If you will be working outside the beltway, then may your God(s) have mercy on your soul!

Welcome to the DMV,
Andy

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
POSTED: 12/20/10 10:25 PM

Clarendon/Ballston:

Bike workouts - Tuesday nights Conte's bike shops; Custis and W&OD Trail; Tuesday/Thurday morning doing Hains Point loops, Saturday and Sunday leaving from Georgetown (@M & Wisconsin).
Run - Winter run workouts in rock creek park; trail runs up Potomac Trail from Rosslyn; evening runs from Pacers running store in Clarendon; track workouts - Wednesday night at Washington-Lee High School.
Swims - Washington-Lee High School, other nearby high schools.
Gyms--Potomac Crossfit in Clarendon, Gold's in Rosslyn and Ballston, Xsport in Alexandria.

dy04    JOINED: 12/20/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 12/20/10 10:54 PM

Thanks for the info! This is all really helpful. Looks like workouts are all over the place, which is good. I've definitely been looking closely at the Cleveland/Woodley Park area because of its proximity to Rock Creek Park. But it's nice to know that I'll probably be able to meet people to train with wherever I end up.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 12/20/10 11:22 PM

I've lived in Woodley Park for about 4 years now, so feel free to send me a message if you have any questions. Cleveland Park is better for restaurants/stores (particularly, grocery stores) in very close proximity, but Woodley does have Chipotle, so it's a close call. Otherwise they basically the same neighborhood in terms of feel and Rock Creek access.

Burcu    JOINED: 6/28/10    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 12/21/10 9:17 AM

If you are interested in the Woodley Park area you might want to take a look at Mt. Pleasant as well which also has a very easy access to Rock Creek and is relatively cheaper compared to Woodley Park (it's literally a couple of blocks aways from Woodley Park) Take a look at Harvard or Irving streets, Adams Mill or Park Road. Especially on Adams Mill there are usually several english basements that are very economical. And if you are planning to move in the winter most area apartment buildings offer one month free rent.
If you look at Mt. Pleasant I would suggest staying south of Park Road and West of 14th Street NW.
Good luck!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1059
POSTED: 12/21/10 11:31 AM

Andy wrote - "If you will be working outside the beltway, then may your God(s) have mercy on your soul!"

You can't be dissin' us peeps that live and work outside the beltway! At times I wished I live in the city, but it would be inconvient to where I teach/coach.

AreKayAych's ravatar AreKayAych    JOINED: 8/5/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 12/26/10 4:47 PM

Just throwing in a vote for Arlington/Courthouse here, and offering any help you might need finding a place in the area.

Good luck!

Rich

nbhst1    JOINED: 12/22/10    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 12/26/10 9:58 PM

I personally live out in Fairfax. Although I am new to the whole triathlon thing, there are plenty of trails to bike/run on. If you are looking for group workouts, there aren't any I have found so far.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria