DPR Extends Hours at Pools and Spray Parks to Help Residents Beat the Heat
Media Contact Only: John A. Stokes, (202) 673-2195
DPR Aquatics: (202) 671-1289
Due to a forecast of eXtreme heat, the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) has announced that on Monday, August 10 to Wednesday, August 12, 2009, it will extend hours at 13 outdoor swimming pools from 11 am to 9 pm at DPR locations across the District. Eight spray parks, eight indoor pools and five outdoor children's pools will also be open with hours listed below.
Outdoor pools open on Monday, August 10 – Wednesday, August 12 from 11 am to 9 pm (Pool, Address, Phone):
* Anacostia, 1800 Anacostia Drive, SE, (202) 724-1441
* Banneker, 2500 Georgia Avenue, NW, (202) 673-2121 (2 pools)
* Benning Park, Southern Avenue and Fable Street, SE, (202) 645- 5044
* Douglass, Frederick Douglass Court and Stanton Terrace, SE, (202) 645- 5045
* East Potomac, 972 Ohio Drive, SW, (202) 727- 6523
* Fort Dupont, Ridge Road and Burns Street, SE, (202) 645-5046
* Fort Stanton, 1800 Erie Street, SE, (202) 645- 5047
* Harry Thomas Sr., 1743Lincoln Road, NE, (202) 541-7499 (2 pools)
* Kenilworth Parkside, 4300 Anacostia Avenue, NE, (202) 727-2485 (2 pools)
* Oxon Run, 4th Street and Mississippi Avenue, SE, (202) 645-5042
* Rosedale, 1701 Gales Street, NE, (202) 727-1502
* Theodore R. Hagans Jr., 3201 Fort Lincoln Drive, NE (202) 576-6389 (2 pools)
* Volta Park (formerly Georgetown), 3400 Volta Place, NW, (202) 282-0381
nice.. late night swimming at hains point!!!
Not quite. At Hains tonight, the master's team came in at its regular, exclusive time of 7 pm, with all the other swimmers departing.
Ed is right, Haines Point is not open late but they forgot to list the Francis pool on 25th & N NW in foggy bottom. They do have extended hours but are closed on Tuesdays.
that is totally bogus by the dcp dept, i take back my compliment they suck royally now.
I spoke to John Stokes, DC Media person, about East Potomac Park.
1. There was a miscommunication between East Potomac Park Pool staff about the extended hours on Monday, August 10th. At least 2 lanes were supposed to be open to the public at EP from 7-9 pm. They were not, as Ed noted.
2. John Stokes said that there will be at least 2 lanes open to the public at EP from 7-9 pm tonight, Tuesday, August 11th. (possibly entire pool b/c the swim team doesn't practice on Tues.)
3. He is double checking to see if EP will be open tomorrow, Wednesday August 12 from 11 am - 9 pm. Stokes said that EP should be open tomorrow although it is normally closed (as most of us know). John Stokes said that EP will be OPEN tomorrow/Wednesday with at least 2 lanes available. Hours will be 11-9. Rejoice! Hains Point open on a Wednesday.
If you go to the pool tonight, please print this message out and if you are refused entrance after 7 pm and show it to pool staff. (however, this is a major catch 22 if we're locked out!!)
Your underwater media maven
p.s. I asked him about Francis aka Dupont pool -- but he said it wasn't on the list.
ok hains point pool doesn't suck royally if this is true. lol
Guess what- we shared the pool with the swim team and had four lanes- two for lap swimming. Quite nice!
Is the Hains pool open til 9 pm tonight? Swimming backstroke to look up into the stars sounds awesome.