Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Work travel the week before the goal race
CREATED: 04/16/10 by DrWales REPLIES: 5
DrWales's ravatar DrWales    JOINED: 1/4/10    POSTS: 13
Work travel the week before the goal race
POSTED: 4/16/10 10:42 AM

As the title says, I will be in Snowmass, Colorado June 14-18, i.e., the week before the DC Triathlon. As I should be tapering, I'm not going to sweat the lack of workout opportunities too much, but is being at 8000 feet going to be a help or a (major) hindrance? Or less of a factor than fatigue from flying back late/overnight Friday night? Or am I way overthinking this?

The answer to the last question is almost certainly "yes," but I would like some feedback/ your experiences on the others.

Thanks,
Bob

jane456's ravatar jane456    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 69
RE: Work travel the week before the goal race
POSTED: 4/16/10 11:10 AM

I'm not an expert in this, but last week I was in Colorado for 3 days, didn't exercise at all (at 7500 ft, I think it would have killed me), and had a great long bike ride the day after getting home. I hadn't been riding, so I'm blaming the altitude :) So...if your experience is anything like mine, you'll be fine. Plus, it sounds like your trip is happening no matter what, so I wouldn't stress too much on what it's going to do to your training. Good luck!

Lindsey

alya72's ravatar alya72    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 4/16/10 12:43 PM

I agree with Lindsey. I had to go to a work meeting at Big Sky in Montana at around the same elevation and fly directly to an Ironman race and proceeded to have a stellar race. So no worries about the elevation-just don't get too tempted by all the hiking and mountain biking opportunities!

Amy

pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 235
POSTED: 4/16/10 12:59 PM

Unless you're planning on placing in your age group or PR'ing, I'd be more worried about seeing everything CO has to offer...a nice ride out there to keep the legs fresh may end up helping you more than hindering. Then again, I don't put too much faith in tapering until you get to the longer distance events...don't sweat it...enjoy it!

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 4/17/10 5:06 PM

Don't sweat it -- this could be a good thing. In theory, spending a week at 8000 feet, then coming back to sea level and racing a few days later should be a performance-enhancer. Your body will have had enough time to get used to dealing with less oxygen, so when you get back, your ability to process oxygen should be enhanced for a short while, which should stick through race day. (That's one reason why there's an Olympic Training Center in Colo. Springs.)

Of course, drinking Fat Tire all week may keep these gains from showing themselves by the time you get back, but as long as you stay hydrated (esp. at altitude) and get some solid rest, you'll be fine.

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 4/21/10 2:48 PM

I am in the same boat (err, plane...unless the volcano erupts again, in which case it will be a boat)--going to be in London the week before Eagleman. I may move my trip, but my sense is that I will be in heavy taper mode by then, so the hotel gym treadmill/bike will be just fine for the limited amount of training i'll be doing at that point. I was actually thinking that NOT having access to my bike or my usual running trails would force me to take the taper seriously.

Matt

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria