Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Montclair Tri - Sun. June 28th
CREATED: 06/22/09 by morunner66 REPLIES: 32
morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 686
Montclair Tri - Sun. June 28th
POSTED: 6/22/09 2:20 PM

Anyone out there doing Montclair Tri this Sunday. Looks like there are roughly only 600 entrants. I have heard that this is not the most exciting of Tris, but it is local, thus my appeal.

Also postscript to all the volunteers and DC Tri-ers out at ITU this weekend. Great race, well except running through the tunnels. Many thanks to whomever the lone volunteer was at the end of the 12th street tunnel. That was a true act of sacrifice.

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
RE: Montclair Tri - Sun. June 28th
POSTED: 6/22/09 2:33 PM

I'm doing a relay.
Possibly hungover.

flora    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 6/22/09 2:43 PM

Hi ! I am doing Montclair. I signed up for this a while back before I knew dextro series was coming to d.c. Yeah I also heard logistically it was a bit of a pain (having to bike your gear to the race site isn't completely appealing to me), but like you I was also looking for something local.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 686
POSTED: 6/22/09 3:02 PM

Xena - you are definitely younger than I am. Could not possibly do anything hungover. Hears hoping you won't be doing the swim.

POSTED: 6/22/09 3:07 PM

I also signed up for this before I knew dextro was coming. Does anyone have extra room for me and my bike race morning? I will pay for gas!

POSTED: 6/22/09 3:07 PM

In general, I race better post margarita with no sleep.

And I'm running. Which is now a 10 mile run instead of a 5 mile run thanks to the jaunts from the parking to the race site.

Toby, remind me where you live?

POSTED: 6/22/09 3:19 PM

Xena...Roller blades??

I'm on Capitol Hill (Eastern Market area).

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 6/22/09 5:50 PM

I signed up for this as well...bike to the start? Glad you said...guess I'll bring the backpack.

Becky will be volunteering - and cheering with cowbell. It's a great motivator!

Any idea on water temp? I know there were no wetsuits allowed last year, but this race was two weeks later than currently scheduled.

POSTED: 6/22/09 6:04 PM

I've never owned rollerblades and I hope to continue that streak.

If you get desperate, I can try to figure out getting to CH and then down but it's really not on my way.

Can anybody else give Toby a ride?

POSTED: 6/22/09 6:09 PM

I also have some flexibility in getting dropped off somewhere...

But ideally, if anyone's leaving from Cap Hill, let me know.

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 6/22/09 9:48 PM

I am in ...
I sign for it as set up events free race for the cancel Patriots 1/2 iron from last year... I took it because it was 30 minute drive and I did it last year and liked it ...

They do a good job and it's fun to bike and run through a residential neighborhood
The swim last year was in soup ups sorry a hot lake the temp was 86 degrees so was no wetsuit. It was a wave start with like 5 or 6 waves

The bike was a 3 loop course with only 2 turns it was with some rollers but nothing major. the roads are wide so at least not that congested.
The run is a 2 loope course. really nice have some nice hills but nothing major. I like the last 1 /2 as in on flat plateau that looks in to the lake enjoy the view!!!!!

At the finish line there was tone of pizza oreos bagels and bananas
I remember eating like 4 pizzas
Is a great race so lets enjoy it
Overall is a great race
Hope to see everybody over there
Eric

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 6/22/09 10:33 PM

Looks like another strong DC Tri contingent. I'll be there, as well!

Andy B.

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 6/23/09 12:09 PM

First time posting here...but I am also going to Montclair. Anybody know if you can be dropped off near the tx area? Thanks - looks like it will be a warm day...

amcbride    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 40
POSTED: 6/23/09 2:47 PM

Although they don't encourage it, a lot of people parked on the streets around the transition area and were able to walk down with all their gear. Just be sure you don't block any driveways, hydrants, etc.

POSTED: 6/23/09 7:39 PM

you can do just make sure you are there at 5 AM but remember you are on a residential area some people might not like the idea of waking up at 9 and have a lot of car in their front yard and might be against the event in future years the ride to the car is not that bad if you have a bike

Good luck on Sunday

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 6/23/09 8:51 PM

Thanks for the info...I'm just having my wife drop me off...wanted to be sure she could drive in and out, then go park at the HS. Wonder where packet PU will be?

POSTED: 6/23/09 9:10 PM

Everything is right there last year I pick up evrything there they were pretty organized and everything went quick the Transition are was spacious keep in mind that the bike start on a small hill In general the event is well run The only mystery right now will be the water temp last year was a hot tub 86 I dont think this year will be like that

amacos's ravatar amacos    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 157
POSTED: 6/24/09 3:15 PM

I'm in as well!

mhuizenga's ravatar mhuizenga    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 6/24/09 3:27 PM

I'm in and my friends Jill and Pam too! Got an email from the race today about packet pick up etc. Water temp will be posted on Friday.

Looking forward to swimming in soup!

objenn    JOINED: 4/6/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 6/25/09 8:33 AM

I and several others I know (not DC Tri folks) are doing this race, both individuals and relay. I haven't done it before, as it conflicted with Colonial Beach last year and I decided on that one. My group has been swimming at Lake Montclair since early May -- I stopped swimming with my wetsuit about a month ago (the day before Columbia Tri, in fact). It's been perfect lately, not hot, I would say mid-70s. I would anticipate it being right around the wetsuit cutoff temp (78, I think).

I don't think it's a problem to drop off at transition, but can get pretty congested in there, as transition is in a parking lot next to a road that ends in a cul-de-sac. I'd say, if you're getting dropped off, have your person drop you off at the corner of Ashgrove and Dolphin Beach Rd., and don't continue down Dolphin Beach or you'll gum up things down there. The ride from the high school is almost all downhill and there will be locals with pumps (like myself) at transition.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria