Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Montclair Tri - Sun. June 28th
CREATED: 06/22/09 by morunner66 REPLIES: 32
catgold's ravatar catgold    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 87
RE: Montclair Tri - Sun. June 28th
POSTED: 6/25/09 12:11 PM

I'm in, too. I'm looking forward to the race and the post-race pizza. It's all about the food with me :)

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 6/25/09 1:08 PM

Ok, can someone who has done this race before give me some straight talk? How crowded is the bike course going to be, and any strategy for staying "legal"? 600 racers on a 6 mile loop tells me its not going to be wide open out there.

Thanks for any insight!

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 6/25/09 1:21 PM

Ok I did this race last year it was not as crowded as this year si supose to be.. the roads are wide not as a wide as highway but defently wider than clara barton in comparison for last weekend the bike is fast because it has only 2 turnarounds last year it had a small of competitive field and a lot of not expirience or newibies
Cheking the results with around 500 people last year only 8 penalties were call so I think is easy to stay legal.
recomendation swim really fast and you shoudn't have any problem, not like me last year that I had the worst swim of the year
You should be find staying legal

eric

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 247
POSTED: 6/25/09 2:28 PM

I did this last year as well (my first ever tri) and I was similarly worried about the penalties/drafting; hell, to be honest, I was worried about staying on my bike in the first place.

Anyway, as far as the ride goes, I passed and got passed (more of the latter than the prior)... the turns were crowded, but it wasn't terrible. I think as long as you're not grabbing the guy in front of you's wheel and holding on, you should be fine. Announce your passing and pass. If someone is passing you, let them pass and drop back.

The swim was in bath water last year (race was in July and wetsuits were prohibited). Not sure what the temps will be this year. The bike was 3 long loops. One gradual climb that I remember, then making a turn and having a pretty nice descent...

I had a really good time (in spite of my many foibles) - I got a really good taste of what tris are all about and the post race spread (pizza) was good. I particularly liked this one b/c the distances are a bit longer than most sprints... a better ramp up to an OLY, which is why I did it.

Have fun. I opted against racing this year (had a big race 2 weeks ago) but I'll be out there volunteering.

-becky

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 6/29/09 10:00 AM

Nice little race yesterday. Hope all had fun. I would definitely do this again next year. Nice neighbors out cheering. Very happy competitors. Could not have asked for better race weather with those overcast skies. The 3 loops around the 'hood was not bad and not anymore boring than Haines Point . Well paved streets were welcome after last week's pothole adventure at ITU. I thought I blew my front rim on Whitehurst freeway at ITU last week.

Hey - and what about that Team Z set up -omg!

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 6/29/09 10:04 AM

Shouts to Toby who placed in her age group, and Andy who I think came in third overall. Seriously, you are wicked fast.

I can't say I'd do this race again. The hike from parking to the race and back again was brutal. As was the uphill start to the run.

mhuizenga's ravatar mhuizenga    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 6/29/09 10:08 AM

Definitely a nice race! Congrats to those who placed. I wish they'd post the results, although I noticed last year they didn't post age group results anyway. Guess I'll have to count.

The bike wasn't too crowded, but started getting crowded toward the third loop. Glad I was on to the run.

I agree with the hike to the parking lot. It's hard to pack light!

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 6/29/09 10:18 AM

I had some fin people biking with me back to the parking lot, very fun. At least there was no madatory racking or packet pick up the day before. I could check out my bike that morning - no need to lug a pump to the start, etc. I invested in a nice tri transition bag that makes lugging all the gear less painful. Happy to swim without the wetsuit too!

amacos's ravatar amacos    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 157
POSTED: 6/29/09 10:49 AM

It was a great race! The weather was perfect! Kudos to Toby and Andy!! Congrats to everyone! It was a little race but challenging enough to have a great time and to train for a longer disntance! The DJ was superb!
Cheers! Adriana

objenn    JOINED: 4/6/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 6/29/09 11:24 AM

Does anyone know when we can expect results to be posted? The link currently goes to last year...

amacos's ravatar amacos    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 157
POSTED: 6/29/09 11:26 AM

Results will be posted no later than 9pm tonight :)

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 6/29/09 1:56 PM

Nice job everyone! Results have been posted.

Andy B.

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 6/29/09 3:56 PM

Goods - Nice numbered tx area
- Good music thoughout
- Great volunteers
- Quick packet P/U day before
- Great run and swim course - loved the blow up man to sight on!

Not so good
- Hike from High School (longer than 2 miles)
- tx area control before race (random people walking dogs through there, people marking their spots with flags)
- Bike course - way too crowded, some people getting cranky, saw a girl with a broken arm after

Thanks to all the volunteers and the pizza was great. Will do again next year if they can come up with a safer bike route.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria