Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

TV coverage of last month's Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon
CREATED: 06/05/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 3
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
TV coverage of last month's Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon
POSTED: 6/05/10 3:05 PM

If you want to watch a one-hour program of the famous San Francisco race, tune into MASN (the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) this month, or set your DVR:

THUR. June 17, 2 am-3 am overnight (actually FRI. June 18)
SAT. June 19, 3:30-4:30 pm
SUN. June 27, 11 am-12 noon

It's a pretty crazy-looking race, with the swim from Alcatraz Island to the bike course through Golden Gate Park, a steep downhill run to the beach and a harsh 400-step sand ladder in the middle of the run. It's also one of the oldest triathlon events with the 2010 race being the 30th anniversary edition.

For age groupers, it's not easy to register for the race. You have to apply through the online lottery months in advance, or qualify at one of the Escape TO Alcatraz series races. But at least it's easy to watch the 2010 race. Most local cable and satellite line-ups include MASN.

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
RE: TV coverage of last month's Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon
POSTED: 6/05/10 5:23 PM

Although my picture made the San Fran paper, unfortunately I did not see myself or Alejandro on the earlier race broadcast. But the race is great and I'm going to try for another lottery slot next year!

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 495
POSTED: 6/05/10 5:50 PM

If I get in again next year I'm gonna have to wear something more flashy than an orange tri-suit if I want to make it on TV. I'm thinking going the Borat way.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
POSTED: 6/05/10 7:22 PM

Or the Faris Al-Sultan way. He's still rocking the Speedos at his IM races.

I don't know how the heck someone can ride the bike for that long while wearing a Speedo. I guess he managed to do pretty well... but I still think I'll go with regular tri shorts instead.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria