DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Columbia Triathlon Swim update
CREATED: 05/19/11 by spleary REPLIES: 6
spleary's ravatar spleary    JOINED: 8/17/10    POSTS: 73
Columbia Triathlon Swim update
POSTED: 5/19/11 4:31 PM

Saw this message on Facebook, just thought I'd pass along:

During the last two decades, Howard County’s Department of Recreation & Parks has partnered with The Columbia Triathlon Association in bringing triathlon events to the County.  In charge of overseeing and maintaining County parks, Recreation & Parks performs water quality testing on Centennial Lake (home to Columbia Tri events) on a regular basis throughout the year.  In the weeks leading up to any swim event, this water quality testing is done more frequently.  In testing completed over the last couple of days, some sample results have shown an increased level of transient bacteria, due in part to the significant amount of rainfall and run off we have experienced these past weeks.  These levels are temporary and do fluctuate with environmental conditions, but we cannot predict what those levels may be in the next few days.  As a result, we will keep you posted should any changes occur to this Sunday’s Columbia Triathlon.

cfudge1    JOINED: 3/4/09    POSTS: 98
RE: Columbia Triathlon Swim update
POSTED: 5/19/11 10:34 PM

So, in conclusion, a change may or may not occur to Sunday's race based on bacteria levels that may or may not fluctuate which may or may not be identified via routine testing of the water in Centennial lake? Ok... got it!

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 482
POSTED: 5/19/11 10:51 PM

Columbia Triathlon Association We hope to be able to make a decision by tomorrow around mid-day once testing results are in.
check https://www.facebook.com/tricolumbia

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 456
POSTED: 5/20/11 5:34 AM

Not much the RD can do with all the rain we have had. It washes "everything" into the lake. And too bad I am missing the race this year. A Du would be my chance to place higher in the standings.

spleary's ravatar spleary    JOINED: 8/17/10    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 5/20/11 10:03 AM

"Great News! Based on the latest test results, Howard County's Department of Recreation and Parks has approved the swim for the 2011 Columbia Triathlon to proceed as normal. See you at Swim Start!"

I'm still keeping my mouth shut!!

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 332
POSTED: 5/20/11 10:27 AM

Woot!

knock on wood...

kkaufer's ravatar kkaufer    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 125
POSTED: 5/20/11 1:22 PM

Woohoo! And water temp at 73 degrees -- I guess goose poop raises the temps!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria