Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

NYC Triathlon Clubs
CREATED: 11/18/09 by charlie REPLIES: 3
charlie's ravatar charlie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 61
NYC Triathlon Clubs
POSTED: 11/18/09 10:37 PM

I really hate to ask this question as a DC tri loyal, but can any recommend a club to look into in NYC? I found several through a web search and none compare to DC tri, but I need some training friends up here!

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: NYC Triathlon Clubs
POSTED: 11/19/09 1:31 AM

you found out the one strange thing with nyc, it does not have a dominant tri club like dc or LA.

it has a lot of smaller clubs that are "coaching" style, sort of like Team Z, it seems like every gym has a "tri club" that people pay to become members of the tri club with large initiation fees and such, you have the asphalt green, sbr shop, and tons of others as you probably have seen

none of them are like the dc triclub as in large membership, cheap or ease of entry.

look into the westchestertriclub.com they are obviously based out in westchester and have a long ride and run on the weekend but its more about the social aspect of knowing a good group of people, is it like the dctriclub? no its not but its a good group of people, with no dues and the cost of entry is show up for the rides and be social. i trained with those guys for years, great group.

good luck.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1768
POSTED: 11/19/09 10:04 AM

You might contact Anathea Powell, who's a one-person tri club. A long-time DCT member, she recently moved to NY and has been posting tons of cool pix on rides and runs in the area. I have the contact info if you need it (savvyveteran at gmail dot com).

guinness    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 11/21/09 11:02 AM

I'm not sure I would go so far as to call myself a one-person tri club, but I have been doing a lot of running and riding in the beautiful environs of New York City lately. Due to an insane work schedule, I'm often doing it alone at weird times (ie very late evenings or random afternoons during the week). I was dreading moving back here because I thought I would lose the bike primarily, but the riding up here is incredible, if you are willing to spend some time getting out of the city.

I feel your pain with the local tri clubs - there is no DC Tri equivalent, unless what Justin says about Westchester. There are Team Z-esqe models, as well as SBR and Asphalt Green. I joined Asphalt Green, mostly for the swim practices, but work isn't letting me get up there much. Plus, I'm just out of Ironman training mode, and they are a little too focused for me right now (yes, I actually said that for those who know me).

The best DC Tri equivalent is New York Cycle Club. Although it's a single sport club, you will find a lot of triathletes who are primarily cyclists. I've been going out with them whenever possible, and have done a lot of great rides: Bear Mountain, Connecticut shoreline, New Jersey etc. The rides are very inclusive, from C12 to A19+ (speeds on flats). The A riders are fast but not obnoxious - bring paceline skills and a road bike (I bought a new road bike almost just to go out with them - my Felt was persona non grata because of the tri bars as with most road groups). The people are much more DC Tri-like, and I've already met people and re-created the weekly, "what are we riding this weekend" emails. And when I can't go out with them, like today, for instance, their cue sheet library is insanely large. A couple of weeks ago I did New Jersey -> Staten Island (ferry back) in the rain and the cue sheet was perfect (have done others as well, same experience); great day! For $17/year, you can't beat the price and club.

Anathea

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria