Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Two minor accidents on Mt. Vernon Trail
CREATED: 06/06/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 5
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
Two minor accidents on Mt. Vernon Trail
POSTED: 6/06/10 1:56 AM

It wasn't me but I saw two separate cyclists down on the ground next to the Mt. Vernon Trail in the area south of National Airport. As you approach the Washington Sailing Marina (near Potomac Yards), there are a few blind turns. I'm guessing that some people were sloppy about riding there. When I passed by heading south, I saw an older guy off the trail, sitting next to his bike. He seemed to be OK. I would have stopped but there were already four other people standing in front of him making sure he was OK.

I rode for just a few minutes south. I had planned to turnaround and head back to Hains Point. I passed by the first accident scene and everyone was gone. So it seems that the older cyclist was able to ride off by himself. I went to Hains Point, finished my brick ride and went home.

I headed back out on the MVT for the run. I passed by the area of the earlier accident and I saw a younger woman, early to mid 20s, sitting on the ground with her bike on the grass next to her. A young man was standing in front of her talking to her. I saw that her arm was scraped up and she was crying. It didn't look like anything was broken and her head seemed uninjured. The man seemed to be attending to her and making sure she was OK but I still asked if she was alright. He nodded, sort of, so I kept running on. After my turnaround spot, I passed by the location again and the injured woman was gone. So I guess she was able to move on after recovering from the mild shock of her crash.

I hadn't thought of that area as particularly dangerous, especially in the daytime. It's easy to see that there are curves coming up ahead so I usually slow down a lot. Maybe some people were going too fast. The pavement was dry and there wasn't any dirt or mud on the asphalt either.

If you ride on the trail, slow down as you enter that area south of National Airport and around the sailing marina. Two crashes in less than an hour is not a good sign. Fortunately neither crash resulted in serious injuries as far as I could tell. And keep to a safe speed at all times when on the trails. You probably shouldn't ride as fast as you can on the roads. Save the speedwork for Hains Point or another lightly traveled road.

krafty81's ravatar krafty81    JOINED: 5/20/09    POSTS: 127
RE: Two minor accidents on Mt. Vernon Trail
POSTED: 6/06/10 10:22 PM

MV trail is simply too narrow and curvy to train.

patagonia_80's ravatar patagonia_80    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 77
POSTED: 6/07/10 9:32 AM

thanks for the heads up

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1786
POSTED: 6/07/10 10:48 AM

I've seen a number of crashed cyclists carted away by ambulance from those two blind turns, just north of the marina, especially in the summer when the growth reduces one's line of sight even more.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 6/07/10 11:17 AM

rule #1 when driving in the canyons in southern california = Never Ever cross the yellow line down the center of the road on a blind turn ever.

rule is equally applicable to the mt vernon trail.

that and be careful out there for the sake of your own safety if for no other reason.

zoom2zoom's ravatar zoom2zoom    JOINED: 5/5/10    POSTS: 72
POSTED: 6/07/10 11:19 AM

Wow.. I fell off my bike at the same location just 2 weeks ago, first I thought you were referring to me, and I felt bad because you thought I was ‘older’, but I don’t think you were talking about me, as only one jogger saw me.

I was on my zipps and couldn’t brake in time with carbon brakes to make the turn and sled off on the trail, injuring my hand with deep skin rubs, had to ride the rest of way home with one hand. Now I ride with gloves.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria