Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Watching the Olympics
CREATED: 07/23/12 by mosered REPLIES: 20
mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1735
Watching the Olympics
POSTED: 7/23/12 10:13 AM

In past Olympics, the club has had group viewing events & parties. Pacers in Clarendon, for one, plans to have the Olympics on a big-screen TV. Wondering what sports bars in the area are supposed to particularly feature Olympic coverage? And whether there was any thought, say, to tying a regional HH to viewing of the Games, which take place July 27 to Aug 12?

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 351
RE: Watching the Olympics
POSTED: 7/23/12 1:23 PM

The womens triathlon is Sat, Aug 4 at 9am (4am local time) and the mens triathlon is Mon, Aug 7 at 11:30am (6:30am local time). Maybe the bravest/earliest risers among us can gather together and watch the live feed... haha!

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
POSTED: 7/23/12 3:41 PM

4 Aug I'll be up at 4am to watch the women's tri, any are welcomed to join. Afterwards, join me for a 2 hour easy bike, then brunch.

holla at me if you want to join!

Trevor

POSTED: 7/24/12 10:10 AM

HAHA... I'm in for the 4th! We should get a big group together for this. Although 4am is really early (or really late!)... depending on whether you're trying to get up for it or stay up for it!

Oh, and Aug 7 is actually a Tuesday, not a Monday as I previously stated. I guess I'm just continuing the long-standing not-so-proud tradition of confusing dates & days of the week!

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 247
POSTED: 7/24/12 1:34 PM

if you're making brunch I'm in. :-)

Sadly, I am usually up about then on Sat morning so I can eat pre-run (at 6), so that may be a possibility... always happy to find folks to ride with.

Too bad the men's race is on a school day! When are the biking events? I'd love to see how the guys do coming off le tour - if Wiggins and Cavendish crush it; if Cadel bounces back...

denaindc's ravatar denaindc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 147
POSTED: 7/24/12 4:28 PM

I am seriously considering joining you guys.
Dena

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 7/24/12 8:16 PM

4am?? I just might be getting to bed at that time. No, seriously, after Aug. 5th if anyone is looking to watch the gemes, I'd be interested.

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 491
POSTED: 7/25/12 6:54 AM

I'm game. Will bring coffee. Other option: I can reserve the theater room in my building and watch it there :-)

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
POSTED: 7/25/12 8:40 AM

Brilliant, Alejandro. Does your theatre have NBCSports? Coffee, breakfast, and spandex.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 247
POSTED: 7/25/12 8:51 AM

Perhaps I'll get motivated and make some [paleo/gluten-free] muffins to nosh on...
let's make it a pot luck pre-ride bfast!
Yay Olympics.

POSTED: 7/31/12 9:54 AM

Theater has been reserved. Spaces are limited. Private message me to claim your spot. I live in Ballston, 2 blocks from the metro stop (not that it matters at 4am)

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 7/31/12 10:44 AM

Orrrrrrrrr.... I have a DVR....

I'd be happy to record it and have folks over to watch at a more, ahem, friendly hour.

:)

POSTED: 7/31/12 12:40 PM

HAHA... "spaces are limited". Better get there early to reserve your spot! Then again, you could show up late, and that would still be considered early at that hour!

alhanson    JOINED: 1/26/12    POSTS: 20
POSTED: 8/01/12 8:06 AM

I have to be out of town don't I? Crap, well enjoy! Sounds like fun and sorry I am going to miss the vewing and ride.

Andrian

POSTED: 8/02/12 1:31 PM

Still some spots left.

POSTED: 8/03/12 8:57 AM

Last call. Private message me if you are coming to make sure we have enough food/tea/coffee (and space) for everyone.

There is word of cinnamon scones and pumpkin chocolate chip bread.

POSTED: 8/03/12 9:07 AM

I see you have sweetened the deal... literally!

POSTED: 8/03/12 3:27 PM

Loyal Triathlon Fans...

If you're not planning to come watch the Olympic triathlon tomorrow morning, it's time to change your mind and email Alejandro now. Yes, it is early, but that has never been a legitimate excuse for missing a race before, and it certainly won't be tolerated this time.

Here is my list of the Top 10 reasons to come watch the race:

1. There will be cinnamon scones and pumpkin chocolate chip bread... The Breakfast of Champions!
2. Watching this race live is the only way to guarantee the DC Triclub message board won't spoil the results when you finally get to watch the triathlon coverage whenever NBC eventually gets around to airing it.
3. There will be a ride and run scheduled to take place afterwards (or beforehand for those truly committed souls!).
4. There is a some chance that the Ignillis Triathlon reps will be there handing out free t-shirts (admittedly the chance is very small, as the only Ignillis rep I know lives in San Diego and has not been invited yet).
5. The 4am start time will allow you plenty of time to watch the tri before getting to your 7am ride/run. The 4am start time will also allow you plenty of time to close the bar and still make it on time for the race start. (I really hope somebody does this!)
6. This is the only triathlon you'll wake up for in which you have no risk of a flat tire (unless you ride over, in which case all bets are off).
7. You don't need to bring your swimming, riding, or running gear, or wear your kit (altho this is certainly welcome... after all, people wear jerseys, caps, and even gloves to baseball games!)
8. The event director, Alejandro, has assured me there will be plenty of portapotties onsite at the race start.
9. The chance to watch an Olympic triathlon on national TV at 4am only comes along once every 4 years (maybe once every 8 years, as Rio will have better TV timing)... you don't want to miss this rare opportunity.
10. By choosing not to attend this event, you are sending a clear message that you do not support Team USA.

A dozen of us have already committed to coming. Let's pack the room!

Go Team USA!
-Luke

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 8/03/12 3:31 PM

If ANYONE leaks the results before tomorrow evening, there will be hellfire and damnation.

Kisses!
Abby

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 222
POSTED: 8/04/12 11:58 AM

Anyone organizing another viewing party for Tuesday morning?

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria