DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Upper NW (Chevy Chase/Bethesda/Silver Spring) Training Group
CREATED: 03/15/09 by siehndel REPLIES: 15
siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1051
Upper NW (Chevy Chase/Bethesda/Silver Spring) Training Group
POSTED: 3/15/09 8:26 PM

Hi everyone,

We've created these threads to help you get to know who lives in your area and where/when/how fast they are training. Please post and let everyone know when you're working out and hopefully you'll all start forming some neighborhood training groups.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
RE: Upper NW (Chevy Chase/Bethesda/Silver Spring) Training Group
POSTED: 3/15/09 11:03 PM

Howdy Upper NW,

I do my long ride Sat, centered around Beach Dr. near the Rockville pike entrance, with excursions into DC (flat), Potomac and Silver Spring (the hills). Pace is easy (CC to B speeds, or 10-12 mph hills, 16-18 flats, avg 14-15), distances around 25-40 mi. And I'm a no-drop kind of guy.

No set route or time yet, since I'm still feeling out different routes. I usually watch the weather and plan accordingly.

During the week, I'd like to have a regular evening beach dr. ride (10-20 mi), especially once the sun sets after 7pm.

-Jason

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 3/16/09 10:55 AM

Yay, this thread makes me happy. I'm all for finding new training partners in my neck of the woods.

Right now my long ride is on Saturday too, about 40-50+ miles. I've been starting on Beach at the DC line and heading out Tuckerman Ave in Rockville and then exploring the roads around there. I average about 17 mph, less when it's cold and windy (like this past weekend, brr). I've been starting around 10 a.m. but am open to going earlier if anyone wants to join me.

Other rides in the area include: a pick-up ride that starts on Beach around Pierce Mill at 10 a.m. on Saturday, though their pace is faster (I would guess 18-20 mph), don't know how long they go; a 7:30 a.m. ride on Saturday that starts at the Mormon Temple and goes for about 40 miles at a moderate pace; and the Bicycle Place ride on Sundays at 8 a.m. that starts at their store on Grubb Rd., is about 35 miles or 2 hours long, and is pretty fast and aggressive (though nice days draw more cyclists and there's a greater likelihood of a slow(er) group). Disclaimer - I haven't participated in all of these, some of it is just intelligence I've gathered.

I would be open to a mid-week ride or even a run-bike-run group once the evening light and weather gets better (maybe congregating at the baseball fields south of East West Hwy?).

- Suzanne

ursalilah    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 3/16/09 1:24 PM

I've only been running and cycling for about 4 months and am not that fast but I'd like to join in on some slower paced long rides and runs. Meeting at the baseball fields when it gets warmer sounds good to me.

Melanie
Takoma Park

skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
POSTED: 3/16/09 4:55 PM

Hey everyone, I live in Bethesda and am pretty new to both the biking and running but am glad there are some folks in the area who are fairly new/slow as well. I usually don't get back up to the area from work in DC until about 6 every night so some group runs or rides when the weather and light, etc. get better sound great. As far as swimming, right now I'm working out at Bethesda Sport & Health and will be starting at AU for Sunday night swims in April. Look forward to meeting you all! I know there are at least a couple other Montgomery County/NW DC types in the NTP who haven't spoken up yet as well...

Seth

lhysell    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 3/17/09 3:34 PM

Hi All,

I live in Silver Spring, right by Grubb Rd, and I am pretty new to biking too! I work out at Fitness First in Bethesda and I have been swimming at the Montgomery Aquatic Center (North Bethesda). I am game for getting together whenever. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Lee

skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
POSTED: 3/17/09 3:42 PM

Lee- I heard the MAC is closing for renovation soon. Do you (or anyone else) know anything about that?

Seth

lhysell    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 3/17/09 4:07 PM

Last time I was there they told me that they would be closed in the summer...possibly August? I'm not completely sure though...

themoneyman's ravatar themoneyman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 18
POSTED: 3/17/09 6:34 PM

Hello,

My name is Ethan. I live in Rockville.

I would be interested in a bike ride or run on Sunday.

I plan on doing the MCRRA "Piece of Cake" 10k run on Saturday. Guest are welcome, although there is a small fee.

So is there interest in a bike or run on Sunday? Like 9:30 at Bethesda/CCT or Silver Spring / Ken Gar? Both are "out and back" so you can bike or runs at whatever distance you wish.

Thanks,
Ethan 'at' Lish.net

nicholsc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 3/20/09 9:24 AM

I live in North Bethesda/Rockville near Grosvenor metro stop and in the NTP program. I am comfortable on the bike, but just getting back into walk/run and swim. I swim at Balley's on Rockville pike.

I have a flexible schedule during the week and most weekends.

A group of bikers are going out this Sunday, around 11 am to stretch our legs and get our seats used to the bike again. The plan is to leave from Tuckerman Lane and do a ride on Beach to Dupont. The plan is for some to metro home (after getting something to eat) and for braver souls, to do the full loop up the Crescent Trail. (I for one will be taking the metro back.)

If interested let me know.

Cherie

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 3/20/09 2:39 PM

Cherie,
That ride sounds pretty good. I'm in.
Can you give more details? Tuckerman and which cross-street? Who's "leading" the ride? (contact info)

-Jason (jkralj at yahoo dot com)

POSTED: 3/21/09 3:31 PM

Jason and any others who want to join us for a ride on Sunday, March 22 at 11 am.

We take this ride often. I can lead it, or there are others in the group that can do so. These are mostly what I would call good weather cyclists. It will be an easy ride--I have my HRM and will stay in the zone.

The ride will start at Tuckerman Station Pool House. Coming south on Rockville Pike make a right onto Tuckerman Lane, at the 4th street on right turn onto Brewer House Road. There's a swimming pool parking lot on the left (about 1/8 mile in), we'll meet you there at 11. Let me know if you need more detailed directions.

Cherien at mac.com

ksdecker44    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 3/22/09 10:21 PM

Too bad I missed the ride! I live right by there :) Keep me posted if you are riding next weekend....

POSTED: 3/23/09 10:03 AM

I will post on the forum if we are going out next week. We usually plan some ride on Sunday.

Coxie19's ravatar Coxie19    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 32
POSTED: 3/30/09 10:54 AM

Hello
I live in the area also (just off of Connecticut Ave and 495 behind the Starbucks in Chevy Chase Lakes) and would like to join the group workouts. Although I'm still in the process of buying a bike. Please keep me posted.

Thanks
Kevin Cox
coxie19@yahoo.com

OutsideDude    JOINED: 3/19/09    POSTS: 4
POSTED: 12/01/09 9:24 AM

I did my first sprint tri in Dewey & am trying to sign up for Nation's. I'm interested in brick, run and/or ride buddies. I'm in Silver Spring on border with Takoma Park in Sligo Creek Park. Interested in training in this area or meeting people in Rock Creek. Just started running a year ago in October.
Thanks
George
george@georgeneighbors.com

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria