Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Training in Ballston
CREATED: 03/31/11 by Jewels REPLIES: 12
Jewels's ravatar Jewels    JOINED: 3/31/11    POSTS: 21
Training in Ballston
POSTED: 3/31/11 3:13 PM

I just signed up for the Olympic Distance Training in preparation for my first real tri (I did a sprint in the pool in Bethesda several years ago on a mountain bike) at the end of July. I'm not sure how exactly it works but since it only meets once a month I was wondering if there were any groups that met more often Ballston area.

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
RE: Training in Ballston
POSTED: 3/31/11 3:30 PM

Awesome, Jewels. Are you looking for cycling or running, or everything?

-Trevor

POSTED: 3/31/11 3:41 PM

Probably everything. I'm in decent shape from aerobics, wieghts etc, but I'm a slow runner (jogger) and even worse swimmer. And I've never even been on a road bike! Hope to buy one this weekend.

ealarlington    JOINED: 3/23/11    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 3/31/11 3:47 PM

Hi Jewels, In the next several weeks Conte's will start their Tuesday night rides. There are also several running clubs you can jump on board with as well (check with Potomac River Running). You can also check out Tri Team Z.

Good times.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1769
POSTED: 3/31/11 4:22 PM

Also, with the Olympic Distance Training group, along with monthly clinics, you'll have lots of chances to get together with other participants for multiple workouts a week, much more than one a month.

Revolution Bikes in Clarendon also has regular rides, and heading up the nearby W&OD trail is a common local workout. And many DCTriers run at the Wash-Lee track on Wednesday nights, and swim at its pool throughout the week. You're in the sweet spot, Jewels, for area training.

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 267
POSTED: 3/31/11 6:32 PM

I'm in Ballston and also training for the Olympic distance races this year.

I don't have much to say in addition to what the guys above said, but this is a great area to train. The bike trails are great and easily accessible. The Tuesday night Conte's rides are the reason I got into cycling to begin with because they're so much fun.

Jason

POSTED: 4/01/11 2:28 PM

thanks for all the suggestions! Once I buy a bike I will show up at the Conte's ride and test their "no one will be left behind" statement!

dub1308    JOINED: 5/9/11    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 5/09/11 10:02 AM

Jewels or others -

i also, have signed up for my first tri and want to get in some good training to complete the tri in a timely fashion. Do you have any updates on group rides, runs or swims? also, do you know what times they are held?

thanks so much.

piyushdabomb    JOINED: 5/10/10    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 5/09/11 10:45 AM

You should start riding with Contes on Tuesday nights in the Clarendon/Ballston area. They are social and from what I remember, have free food/beer.

Always fun :)

dub1308    JOINED: 5/9/11    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 5/09/11 10:59 AM

Thanks. I will have to try it out. Do you know if there any other group rides in the area on other nights?

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 5/09/11 2:17 PM

Hi all! I just moved to Ballston myself, and I'm thrilled about the trails, rides, and the fantabulous pool at Washington and Lee.

I will be doing the Conte's rides most weeks on Tuesday evenings, swims in the morning (W&L opens at 5:30 AM!), and likely a Hai's Point ride on Thursday mornings.

I like doing longer rides and runs on the weekends, and it's really easy to get to the Georgetown pickup spot from Ballston for the club rides on those days. We could certainly do a Ballston area meet up and roll to Georgetown together.

e-mail me:
abby.sanford19 at yahoo.com

POSTED: 5/09/11 3:01 PM

Dub1308 and Abbjs and anyone else- I have organized a semi-private running coach (Maggie from Pacers) at W&L track this Thursday 7:30am - let me know if you are interested. We have 3 so far, could go up to 6 people.

Jewels

IParada's ravatar IParada    JOINED: 1/22/12    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 5/29/12 8:00 PM

hi Jewels,
I also live in Ballston and now have free evenings. May I join the group training (swim, bike, run) that you may have arranged? It's more fun and motivating to train together.

Thanks,

Lulu
intan.parada@gmail.com

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria