DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

cycling shorts/bibs recommendations
CREATED: 10/30/12 by karlaj REPLIES: 12
karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
cycling shorts/bibs recommendations
POSTED: 10/30/12 9:05 PM

Dear club,
Looking for recommendations for bike bottoms. What are those of you doing IM/HIM training wearing for those longer rides?

So far I've found Pearl Izumi Quest & attack to be pretty good for oly training (maybe up to 2 h), but am curious if anyone's found them to hold up to longer rides. Also haven't purchased their upper end stuff (Elite?).

The champion systems shorts have been ok for an hr, after that they just lose their cushion.

Tuan gets a royal pain in the ass if he doesn't wear his gilded Desotos or Sugoi -- others?

I'll be doing long trainer rides for some of this, so that ups the comfort requirements. Also only ridden shorts, but likely moving up to bibs. Cost is a moderate issue, so $200-300 a pair is too much.
-Jason

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1292
RE: cycling shorts/bibs recommendations
POSTED: 10/30/12 9:49 PM

I'm going to let you feel my ass to see for yourself how wonderful those Desoto 400 Mile shorts work. My ass hasn't been that perky and smooth since the 90's.

Tuan

POSTED: 10/30/12 10:13 PM

That's a strong endorsement. Desoto should pay you commission for saying things like that.

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 264
POSTED: 10/31/12 7:51 AM

I agree with Tuan here on the shorts question. DeSoto 400 mile shorts are the only bike/tri shorts all I own. I have 5 pair. If you keep an eye on TriSports, they will be on sale soon and at some point, there will be an email coupon too.

dhops's ravatar dhops    JOINED: 7/12/12    POSTS: 105
POSTED: 10/31/12 8:56 AM

Hmmm. I always find that no matter what shorts I wear, my arse just plain hurts after 6 hours on the bike. :)

dlavey    JOINED: 1/6/13    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 3/16/13 8:48 PM

I know this is an old thread, but prey tell Tuan, where does one procure these fine shorts? Are there local stores that carry them? Who wouldn't want a perky ass?

POSTED: 3/16/13 9:04 PM

You can get them at many of the local bike shops in the area. I get mine online because I can get better prices. You'll have to look online since sales occur all the time at different places.

Here is a link to get you started Desoto 400 mile Bike Shorts

--Tuan

POSTED: 3/16/13 9:10 PM

Thanks, I found them online but not at any of the local bike shops (yet). I wanted to try them on before committing myself and making sure I got the right size.

POSTED: 3/16/13 9:26 PM

According to Desoto's website Big Wheel Bikes is one of the distributors in Va (none in DC or MD).

Virginia
Big Wheel Bikes
3119 Lee Highway
Arlington, VA 22201
202-333-5003

POSTED: 3/16/13 9:34 PM

Yeah, I saw that and went out there today, they don't have any. I'm starting to think it's a conspiracy.

POSTED: 3/16/13 9:41 PM

Try calling Tri360. They are local. I thought that I heard Karen (kmwpro) said that they have them. I could be wrong or Karen could have been lying. She does that a lot :)

I swore I saw them in a local store somewhere, but I can't remember where. It might be a good idea to email Desoto. Perhaps their webpage is not updated with the latest distributor info.

POSTED: 3/16/13 11:15 PM

To followup, I took everyone's advice and got a pair. Now, they're the best I own (over a few Pearl Izumis). I know there are possibly higher-end out there (assos? castelli?), but this has filled the role of long-ride shorts nicely.

Worst case scenario--I found the 400 mile fit close to the right size, so if you have to order w/o trying, fit shouldn't be too far off. -JK

kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 264
POSTED: 3/20/13 10:37 AM

I did try to get Tri360 to carry the shorts, because no one around here seems to carry them, but they weren't having it.

Swimoutlet.com has them at a great price at the moment, and I now own SIX pair of the same shorts. I agree with karlaj, the sizing is just about right on.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria