Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Wilkes Barre Duathlon 6/21
CREATED: 03/16/09 by racing2009 REPLIES: 5
racing2009's ravatar racing2009    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 36
Wilkes Barre Duathlon 6/21
POSTED: 3/16/09 11:34 AM

Has anyone competed in the Wilkes Barre Duathlon in PA? It's a sprint du. I'm curious to know about the cycling portion of the course...steep hills, moderate hills, etc. to train properly over the next few months. Thanks in advance.

esmerelda05    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 3
RE: Wilkes Barre Duathlon 6/21
POSTED: 3/16/09 3:01 PM

I'm a native of Wilkes-Barre and that is a relatively flat area...slight incline to get up on the bridge, but it is smack in the center of the Wyoming Valley. You'll mostly be riding on a flood plain if that's any indication.

If you're talking the WIlkes-Barre Triathlon....now there are hills!

Let me know if you need anything else...I'd be happy to help you navigate.

(thanks for the heads up on this race...I may go home for it!)

POSTED: 3/16/09 3:05 PM

more...as i looked more closely at hte map, st mary's road toward the country club is a long gradual hill...with some ups and downs as you head toward the industrial park.

center city is all flat and floods...it's as you head south that you hit some hills, but none are necessarily steep.

racing2009's ravatar racing2009    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 36
POSTED: 3/16/09 3:10 PM

Thanks for the response. It is just the duathlon. I'm not sure when the tri takes place. I train in the Old Town area of Alexandria, so I don't often hit too many steep climbs; some extended gradual hills are easy to come by though. Good to know the terrain in WB might be the same. So far only a few have signed up for the race (maybe since it takes place on Father's Day), but it sounds like fun. Maybe see you there. Thanks for the information.

POSTED: 3/16/09 3:15 PM

Didn't register that it was on father's day. I'm already doing a tri in Carroll County (GRR!) That looks like a fun race.

The WB tri is in August. Olympic Distance.

sacha204's ravatar sacha204    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 24
POSTED: 3/20/09 10:49 PM

Hey,

I too am from the area - across the bridge in Kingston. I did the Du last year and had a blast. There are some ups and downs in the middle of the bike, but nothing hard. the road was cut up a bit, but the race directors did a good job of marking and the other racers pointed out some stuff as well. I am planning on doing this again. It is a nice race.
You should do well with your training.

Sun burnt from New Orleans,
Sacha Dodson
sacha.dodson@gmail.com

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria