Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Camping Shanandoah Nat'l Park
CREATED: 07/23/12 by jhull REPLIES: 2
jhull    JOINED: 5/31/12    POSTS: 29
Camping Shanandoah Nat'l Park
POSTED: 7/23/12 12:26 PM

Anyone with experience backpacking in Shanandoah Nat'l Park? I'm planning a trip up there over Labor Day weekend (4-days total) and I'm interested in what are the best campsites in the park to check out. Hiking in 5-10miles or more is fine. Even better if there is a loop route we can do so we can park once and be on the trail camping at different sites each night along the way. The more challenging the terrain, the better. The more scenic, the better. Let me know what you suggest.

Thanks!

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
RE: Camping Shanandoah Nat'l Park
POSTED: 7/23/12 1:56 PM

I would suggest driving past SNP, and keep going until you reach Dolly Sods - it'll still be busy up there as well, but a little less so than SNP on a holiday weekend.

If you have your heart set on SNP, then I might start somewhere around Big Meadows (big large established campground) and take the AT north up and over Hawksbill for some great views, then over to the trails around white oak canyon and old rag, and then back south to Big Meadows. You could easily link up a 25-30 mile loop. You'll need a BC camping permit for all nights outside of the established campgrounds.

Expect to see lots of other people out there that weekend.

Andy

jhull    JOINED: 5/31/12    POSTS: 29
RE: Camping Shanandoah Nat'l Park
POSTED: 7/23/12 4:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The Dolly Sods are a possibility, and the less crowds the better. Ideally within 3-4 hours of DC area.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria