Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Torn Labrum - Shoulder Surgeon?
CREATED: 09/14/10 by KingsPoint2001 REPLIES: 12
KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
Torn Labrum - Shoulder Surgeon?
POSTED: 9/14/10 11:15 AM

I have a torn labrum that was diagnosed a year ago. Torn labrums can only be repaired through surgery. I held off from the surgery because of the long recovery period and wanted to get through the first year of tri's. It's now preventing me from being able to swim harder and stay on the bike longer without soreness. It even hurts just running sometime from the pounding. Starting to think its time to get fixed since fall has arrived. Also to prevent further damage. Anyone know a GREAT ortho surgeon specializing in shoulders?

Thanks.

RE: Torn Labrum - Shoulder Surgeon?
POSTED: 9/16/10 10:04 AM

Still looking for a good ortho surgeon? Anyone know of a good one in Northern VA or DC?

Any ideas on what the best hospital is to have surgery at? I've never had survery before.

Thanks,
Pete

ttmuench's ravatar ttmuench    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 9/18/10 11:43 AM

So I had my both ACL (2006) and labrum (2009) surgically repaired by Richard Hinton. The labrum surgery was performed in October 2009 and I was able to have successful year of tri competition in 2010. My shoulder is way more stable than before the surgery (subluxation issues prior). He's based out of Baltimore, but definitely worth the drive. I think he's the orthopedic surgeon for the Ravens.

sarahalow's ravatar sarahalow    JOINED: 10/14/09    POSTS: 29
POSTED: 9/18/10 1:05 PM

I tore my AC and CC ligaments in my shoulder this summer and Steven Danaceau in Arlington was my orthopedic surgeon. I thought he did a great job, he used cadaver/manufactured for one ligament and was able to re-use the remnants of another. Lots of PT since 4 weeks post-surgery and my shoulder is doing pretty well.

Sarah

POSTED: 9/18/10 1:11 PM

btw. Hinton practices out of Union Memorial Hospital and has an outpatient facility just north of Balt. This was attractive to me since Union Memorial is NOT a teaching hospital. I'm paranoid about having some surgical resident step in once I'm under anesthesia.

POSTED: 9/18/10 1:12 PM

in general I'd look for an orthopod that specializes in sports medicine...

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 9/19/10 5:21 PM

Dr. Fleeter at Town Center Orthopaedics. He repaired my torn labrum in my shoulder, and worked on the one in my hip.

POSTED: 10/13/10 7:02 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone have a shoulder icing system for after surgery they aren't using?

I figure someone out there that has had shoulder surgery before probably has one of these icing therapy devices that cools water in a cooler and pumps in through a shoulder pad for after surgery. I heard insurance doesn't pay for one of these devices since they are a nice to have.

Pete

Tobes's ravatar Tobes    JOINED: 7/20/10    POSTS: 34
POSTED: 10/14/10 11:19 AM

The product you are looking for is called a Cryo Cuff...I used the knee version three knee surgeries. While insurance will not cover it, its one of the best investments you can make. I continued to use it post-op for about a year to ice the knee after workouts, hard PT sessions, etc. The good thing about the Cryo Cuff is once you've bought the system, you can buy additional "attachments" should you ever get injured on other joints.

POSTED: 12/20/10 4:20 PM

So I had the labrum repair surgery on Oct 28th. I'll be about 8 weeks post-op by the end of this week. Anyone remember when they tried to first run and swim again? I started using the stationairy bike about a week ago once I got the sling off. Physical therapy is helping with range of motion. Was curious how soon anyone who has had shoulder surgery tried running or swimming again. I'm sure its just one of those things you do when you get to the point you think you can do it.

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 12/20/10 4:39 PM

Personally I was very uncomfortable running because of the bouncing, and the elliptical worked my shoulder out of the socket.

Swimming was okay but my shoulder got really tired fast and I hurt in weird places from the compensation.

Whatever you do, take it easy. No grand prix workouts.

POSTED: 12/20/10 5:20 PM

Shoulder surgery on Oct 9th 2009. First swim Dec 7th 2009 (800 meters of breast stroke). Swam 1200 meters on Dec 11th. Swam 1600 meters freestyle on Feb 15th 2010.

POSTED: 12/20/10 8:44 PM

Thanks for the info. It gives me some prospective. Been trying to figure out how much to push it and when to start running and swimming. It's driving me nuts not being able to. Not sure I have the range or strength yet to try swimming. I may be able to do some light jogging. Maybe I'll try after Jan 1. Thanks.

Pete

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria