Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Masters Swim Group -- North Bethesda/White Flint
CREATED: 08/12/09 by beth h REPLIES: 11
beth h    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 12
New Masters Swim Group -- North Bethesda/White Flint
POSTED: 8/12/09 7:21 PM

An established and well-regarded swim team (not Ancient Mariners) is trying to offer a new masters swim program at a new indoor facility in the North Bethesda/White Flint/Grosvenor area. The team is really trying to attract triathletes. Many members of D.C. Tri swim with this group in other venues, but I'm hesitant to publish the name because they have not been able to finalize the plans just yet. The head of the group is trying to arrange for evening swim practices beginning at 7:00. It is possible, however, that the practices will run from 8:00 - 9:00 each evening Mon - Fri., and it sounds like the masters group will get the entire 8 lane pool. The question put to me is whether people will come out for a swim practice that starts at 8:00, or whether this is too late for triathletes. I know there are a lot of triathletes in the NW, Bethesda, Rockville, Potomac, Kensington area and wanted to get a sense of whether an 8:00 start time is a deal-breaker for you.

Thanks for your thoughts.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1318
RE: New Masters Swim Group -- North Bethesda/White Flint
POSTED: 8/12/09 7:43 PM

I'd go ... assuming they take people who swim slower than dead fish. I know that some masters group have no requirements while others require that you hold a certain pace.

Tuan

POSTED: 8/12/09 7:56 PM

It's not an intense or a competitive group, although at other venues that certainly do have some former college swimmers. But luckily for you and me, there would be 8 lanes. You would be fine and, in fact, would provide the necessary levity. Sort of ironic to say to you since you are after all the Vertical Swimmer!

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 8/13/09 7:23 AM

I would be interested in swimming with a master group, but 8 pm is a little late. I am starting my glide path to sleep at this time! :-)

skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
POSTED: 8/13/09 12:52 PM

I'd be interested. Thats usually when I swim anyway.

Thanks,
Seth

rmacalpine    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 8/13/09 6:37 PM

I would be interested. I'm in Rockville / Silver Spring and I'm tired of swimming through grade school kids. Thanks, Robin

bellah    JOINED: 7/3/09    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 8/14/09 9:04 AM

I too would be interested - but I would also want to know that there would be a "slower than dead fish" lane (love that line btw)

Kalessin's ravatar Kalessin    JOINED: 6/25/09    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 8/14/09 9:19 AM

Definitely interested in the 8pm start, particularly if the group has the use of all lanes!

cstone's ravatar cstone    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 8/14/09 11:06 AM

I would be interested and that's a good time for me. For now I'm in Gaithersburg and go right past there. Swimming at Bally's in the basement with the 60-something, perfume laden Asian women is not my idea of a great training environment. Not that I have a problem with Asian women, but when I can taste the perfume in the water! BLLUUUAHH!
Chris

dewiyu    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 8/14/09 12:30 PM

I'd be in for an 8pm start. Live in Rockville but swim down in the White Flint area already so this would work great for me. Thanks!

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 8/14/09 4:59 PM

I'd be very interested. As long as everyone is REALLY NICE to me and no one makes me cry!

so, to recap, here are the requirements so far:
slower than dead fish lane (x2)
no asian-perfume-wearing women
no grade-school kids
everyone must be nice
no crying allowed

I'm in!

POSTED: 8/14/09 6:07 PM

There's no crying in masters swimming -- not with this group anyway. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I've forwarded all of them to the head of the swim group. It sounds like there will be multiple swim times and the group leader is amenable to dedicating space to beginners/"dead fish" triathletes. Frankly, he loves the term "dead fish." If everything goes through it sounds like it will start Sept. 8th. It sounds like this will be a great swimming alternative for us in Montgomery County.

I'm off to North East tomorrow and looking forward to meeting and chatting with everyone at MacGregor's tomorrow night.

Have a great weekend of racing and training and remember, no crying. Just have fun!

Beth

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria