amacos's ravatar amacos    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 157
RE: Anyone doing the Dextro Energy Triathlon
POSTED: 6/09/09 3:11 PM

In for the Oly! See you there!

Cheers, Adriana

sleenaerts's ravatar sleenaerts    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 29
POSTED: 6/09/09 3:27 PM

I'm in the Olympic distance race. I'm also surprised it hasn't filled up--I figured all the people who didn't get into Eagleman would have jumped at the chance to get into this race.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 6/09/09 3:30 PM

Will there be a DC Tri tent up anywhere? Seems there is a critical mass of us, yes?

nathancurll's ravatar nathancurll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 6/09/09 3:31 PM

im in for oly. race.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 6/09/09 7:53 PM

To counter the seemingly negative post (boo!), on the positive side:
- there are 19 people counted so far roll-calling for this race, which if you go back in our history is significant numbers in a non-club championship or non-NTP event.
- there is finally a race in June other than our training tri, something we've wanted around here for a while.
- you'll always have people doing IM's and HIM's - their schedules will rarely synch with the sprint / oly seasons. Case in point, our training tri featured few of our long distance personnel, but it was still packed.
- if you haven't noticed, triathlon is an expensive sport. No offense, but if you are seriously strapped for cash, perhaps this is not your sport - perhaps it should be the last sport to consider. That's right, I said it....
- it's going to be fun implementing Travis' theory on illegal peletoning.
- hopefully it won't sell out (for the organizers yes of course we hope it does). The best thing about the first year of the Nations tri (remember the Du?) was being part of a few people who got to run and bike through the streets of DC seemingly alone. It was an exhilarating experience because there were less of us, not more
- this is a rare opportunity in sport - to be first. Like at Columbia when some old geezer says, "I was there at the first one". Like being at the first Nation's Tri - it was cool to be there. This is it - the one chance to say you raced in the first ITU race ever held in DC, one of the memories that make it to old age and you can recall to your family. Pay double what you normally would - it's a rare opportunity in life to have such a memory.
- disclaimer - if the Potomac is bad, not swimming...

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 6/09/09 10:06 PM

I am # 20
In for the Olympic
hope is really warm and humid but also with a lot of cool DC tri members racing and volunteering

nice speech

Eric

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1062
POSTED: 6/09/09 10:44 PM

I agree with Simon. It was cool to be a part of the inaugural Nation's Tri, even if, at the time, I was disappointed that it became a Du. Remember finishing with only 450 people? Look at it now. I feel lucky to still be active with the race and part of the team that's working to make it better each year.

DC Tri has a pretty large group doing the Dextro Energy Tri, just a small amount of folks responding to this thread. At last count, there were close to 160 DC Tri members registered and I suspect it's creeping up each day. I'll have to check the numbers again.

The race probably won't sell out this year. Next year, it will. Very few first year events sell out. This year will be a success and then we'll build on it next year.

We also have ~100 folks signed up to volunteer for the race. So, for a race in it's first year in our backyard.... We own it. More than 10% of registrants are DC Tri members with another 10% volunteering. That's AWESOME! (PS - it's awesome, but we still need volunteers ;)

Consider that Nation's has 350 DC Tri members registered this year along with an even greater push for volunteers. It's pretty remarkable.

I'm proud to be part of a club that is this dedicated to the sport of triathlon and our community of athletes. You all rock.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 957
POSTED: 6/09/09 10:56 PM

I didn't think there was any negative connotation to any the posts, just open and honest questions and responses. :)

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 6/10/09 9:14 AM

160 athletes rocks! 100 volunteers - not bad (does sound like we need more). That's a lot of people to be racing slow and having a PW (personal worst) in front of. Who else is racing?

Calling each other's posts out and using words like negative, ridiculous, dumbass, is an old trick that would spike the post view count into the thousands. Remember the post view count? It was the measure of a post's true value and worth, and it's author's self-esteem. Ah the old days...

POSTED: 6/10/09 9:14 AM

I'm in for the sprint!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1298
POSTED: 6/10/09 9:32 AM

Simon ... the real old school way was just to just say that tri bikes are better than road bikes in every facets of triathlons :)

Tuan

trisha's ravatar trisha    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 133
POSTED: 6/10/09 11:34 AM

Hmmm....so I went to the website intending to sign up to volunteer and instead signed up for the sprint race. I figure I might be the LAST person to finish, but the Olympic people will be out on the course to keep me company, right?

I'm a little annoyed they made me sign up as "35-39" when I'm not actually 35 yet! But mostly I'm just nervous. I see there are some other NTPers who are signed up as well - I might contact you for some moral support! :)

goshlickit's ravatar goshlickit    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 6/10/09 12:00 PM

Wow...looks like it will be a great turnout for the DC tri club. I really wasn't paying attention I guess. As for swimming in the Potomac, (potential polluntants aside) is the water warm enough to go without a wetsuit?

janelkaye's ravatar janelkaye    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 36
POSTED: 6/10/09 12:17 PM

You can always check the river info for Little Falls http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01646500. Temperatures are in Celsius, though, so you'll have to convert.

DuathlonFreak's ravatar DuathlonFreak    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 6/10/09 9:24 PM

Wish I could race or volunteer with everyone, but I'll be out of town on Uncle Sam's business that day.

LB

dewiyu    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 8
POSTED: 6/11/09 2:33 AM

I'm another NTPer who's in for the sprint! -Dave

nmr2002    JOINED: 3/3/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 6/12/09 10:26 AM

I'm signed up for this as my first tri (sprint).

For everyone running this, I'm trying to organize a practice tri of similar distance in Bethesda on Monday (6/15) afternoon. I posted in the "Brick" area. Hope people can make it!

Also - water temperature will likely be around 72-73 degrees, so wetsuit-legal.

Best,
Noah

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 6/12/09 1:06 PM

i'm in for the sprint, but that's an impressive list of reasons!

drewpugh's ravatar drewpugh    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 41
POSTED: 6/14/09 3:31 PM

Where can we view the list of registered athletes? Anybody got a link?

Thanks,
Drew

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 957
POSTED: 6/14/09 8:32 PM

The pro registrants? or the age group racers? I don't believe the age group registrants are publicly viewable.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria