Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Luray Oly in August - Good Race?
CREATED: 05/05/09 by SeanG REPLIES: 14
SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 160
Luray Oly in August - Good Race?
POSTED: 5/05/09 11:28 AM

I was thinking of signing up for the Luray Olympic race in August. Anyone have any thoughts? Well-run race, difficult course, etc? My money is tight this year, so I don't want to waste money on registration for a poorly-run race.

Thanks,

ajulia's ravatar ajulia    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 145
RE: Luray Oly in August - Good Race?
POSTED: 5/05/09 11:47 AM

I did Luray last year, and loved it. The race is more relaxed than Nation's, and the scenery is beautiful and worth the trip. The oly was on a Saturday, which meant we had to drive out there straight from work on Friday but having Sunday off was a nice change.

The lake is really small, so the water is warm and a little murky. Maybe half of the people wore wetsuits (I did, and was almost too warm). There is a tricky staircase coming out of the water that can be slippery, but I didn't actually see anyone fall. The bike course is scenic and has some challenging hills, especially one ringer at the end that almost undid me. Think barns and pastures. The run is a twice-out-and-back on rolling hills with a good mix of sun and shade.

With all the hills, I don't think a lot of people PR on this course, but everyone I spoke with that day said they would do it again. Well-organized, friendly and totally worth it.

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 5/05/09 1:24 PM

Also consider North East Triathlon instead of Luray. It is the same weekend, August 16. CGI Racing puts on a great race plus it is the Club Championship this year so there should be tons of DC Tri folks there cheering you on.

North East, MD is about a 2 hour drive from DC.

North East Triathlon

nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
POSTED: 6/06/09 3:11 PM

i guess there wont be that many Dc tri people going to luray bc it's the same weekend as Notheast. pity; luray seems nice

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 6/06/09 5:55 PM

There will be a few of us out there at Luray.

I'll be at Luray on Saturday for the Oly and then book over to NorthEast on Sunday for the Oly.... hey! it was a triple dog dare, I cannot turn that down.

nicoleshue's ravatar nicoleshue    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 136
POSTED: 6/08/09 7:55 AM

Luray is a fabulous venue, the town puts out the stops, the course is scenic and perfectly challenging, and it's one of the best run races around.

It's a great destination race, rent a cabin, spend an extra day volunteering at the other race, and enjoy a weekend in the Blue Ridge Mountains!

I highly recommend Luray!

rnigro's ravatar rnigro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 6/08/09 10:09 AM

I'm doing the Sprint on Sunday. It looks great and well organized.
Is anyone else from the club doing the Sprint?

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 7/06/09 11:44 AM

Just realized I got shut out of Northeast, so Luray it is... debating Sprint vs. Oly. I did my first Oly at the Dextro and loved it; I'm guessing with the hills I probably won't PR at Luray though!

amcbride    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 40
POSTED: 7/06/09 12:34 PM

This is definitely NOT a PR race - not flat like Dextro. As others have said, nice relaxed race, well run. I did it a few years ago as my first olympic. Swimming is not my strongh point, so let's just say that my bike was very lonely in T1. The water is a little dark, but is clean enough. The hills are tough, but there's a few nice downhills to help offset them. Can't comment on the run since they've changed the course. I'm heading out on Friday evening for the Olympic again this year.

angicarr's ravatar angicarr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 8/10/10 6:35 AM

For folks who have done the Oly course before - would you suggest using a road or tri bike?

Thanks!

nicoleshue's ravatar nicoleshue    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 136
POSTED: 8/10/10 8:20 AM

A road bike will be just fine....there are not really many long flat spots on this course where you'll spend lots of time in aero....that being said, I'd ride whichever bike you're more comfortable on....make sure your tri bike has the right gearing to handle the really really big hill at the end of each loop!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
POSTED: 8/10/10 8:49 AM

Angie ... Have you ridden the Columbia course or the hills of Poolsville? If so, whichever bike you prefer riding on those courses is the bike that you should ride at Luray.

On a side note along the line of what Nicole said ... that last hill at Luray made me cry. As a point of reference, I also cry at the sights of cute little kittens and Sandy Point Park Rangers.

Tuan

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 708
POSTED: 8/10/10 11:12 AM

Don't cry Tuan...

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 8/10/10 11:44 AM

Also, Luray lies about their bike course. I raced it last year and my bike computer and others I talked to showed the bike portion to be over 26 miles long. Somewhere around 26.2 to 26.3 miles.

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 8/10/10 12:15 PM

I concur with Mr. Bryan Frank, same deal with the sprint (it's not 26.2 or .3 miles in the sprint, but it is longer than advertised).

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria