Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Nettles at Sandy Point
CREATED: 07/06/13 by rpcvadriana REPLIES: 5
rpcvadriana    JOINED: 1/3/12    POSTS: 16
Nettles at Sandy Point
POSTED: 7/06/13 1:04 PM

For those that have been swimming at Sandy Point recently, any issues with nettles/jelly fish? Since the weather has been relatively cool until this past week, I wasn't sure if the nettles were out in full force. Would like to get a long OWS in tomorrow but don't want to drive out there if I'm going to get stung over and over!

bronxking's ravatar bronxking    JOINED: 1/13/13    POSTS: 134
RE: Nettles at Sandy Point
POSTED: 7/06/13 10:02 PM

I was out there three weeks ago with some folks and people got stung. I went out around that area, but not at Sandy Point, for a sprint tri last weekend and everyone got stung. So I would say they are out in full force by this week.

-David

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 7/07/13 1:24 AM

I have a pass to Sandy Point and head out there 1-2 times per week (it helps that I coach out that way). I have yet to see or hear of any nettles and jellies. The weather has been fairly cool and with the rain we have gotten I'd be more worried about the water itself.

rpcvadriana    JOINED: 1/3/12    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 7/07/13 3:34 PM

Update to the original post:
I swam mid-morning with water being a nice temp and only got stung once in sixty minutes of swimming! Cooler temps have definitely helped as I swam at Sandy Point around this time last year and jellyfish were abundant. Makes me want to go back once more before IMLP...

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 7/07/13 8:03 PM

Sounds good. Let me know if you plan to head out next Sunday.

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 7/08/13 12:55 PM

Check sea nettle probability here!:
http://buoybay.noaa.gov/locations/annapolis.html

Andrea

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria