Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

A replacement for energy gels/bars!?
CREATED: 01/13/13 by Luke REPLIES: 9
Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 369
A replacement for energy gels/bars!?
POSTED: 1/13/13 11:48 AM

I'm working on a fitness supplement product launch for an entrepreneurship class... it's basically a nutrition patch that could replace energy gels & energy bars. Please help me out by taking a short survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CuNutrition001

Thanks!
-Luke

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 507
RE: A replacement for energy gels/bars!?
POSTED: 1/13/13 1:29 PM

What is this...a nicorette patch for triathletes!? Except where nicoratte's main goal is to ween you off of a lifestyle, this patch supports a certain other (healthy) lifestyle. I like the idea! :-)

RT

sub6meanderer's ravatar sub6meanderer    JOINED: 11/8/12    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 1/13/13 5:47 PM

Interesting concept. I'm reading Eat & Run by Scott Jurek - he'd make his own, a combo of brown rice syrup with blueberries, cocoa power, whatever.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1319
POSTED: 1/13/13 6:23 PM

"microscopic needles that penetrate the skin to deliver nutrients directly into a person’s body."

I'm not impressed. That concept was developed by the North Koreans decades ago :-)

I filled out the survey. I expect free samples in return.

Tuan

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 1/13/13 8:18 PM

What flavors does it come in?

sose    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 14
POSTED: 1/15/13 6:52 AM

Interesting concept...
Kinda strange when you describe it piercing the skin.

I'd still try it.

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 1/15/13 8:58 AM

But seriously how long would the patch last? Gel packs recommend use 45-60 minutes based on intensity. An important advantage for a patch would be longer potency of three hours or more rather than having to change it at the much shorter intervals of a gel pack. A patch that one could “ware it and forget it” for a race, say at least an Olympic distance tri or half marathon, would eliminate a detail a competitor would need to keep track of as often be very appealing.

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 369
POSTED: 2/02/13 10:30 PM

Thank you all for the feedback!! The goal is for the patch to last an entire day, replacing all of the other nutritional supplements (ex: gels, chews, chomps, shots, etc) you currently take during a race.

I just created an updated survey to gether more info. Please take a few minutes to fill it out!
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CuNutrition2

-Luke

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 2/04/13 12:22 PM

Luke,
The survey has some problems. If I only enter info in "other", it won't let me proceed. Kinda hard to give you accurate information.

Sorry to sound skeptical, but you're going to deliver upwards of 2000-4000 calories into the blood directly (all day gu consumption for an HIM/IM)? At 4 Calories/gm sugar, that's ~1 kg of sugar, or 0.5 kg of fat. Not to mention pumping those things straight into your blood is bad. Even a patch per hour...doesn't seem like that would fit on your arm well. For sodium, you'd still need grams/day. Or are we only talking about trace supplements like magnesium, potassium, caffeine, etc? Hopefully I'm missing something, b/c it's potentially quite a lucrative idea.

-Jason

gwcrew2000's ravatar gwcrew2000    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 127
POSTED: 2/04/13 3:28 PM

Luke,
I was having some problems with the survey as well. I could only pick one "good", one "average" etc.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria