I was wondering when the oil leak was going to affect a race. This race went on successfully. Hopefully it won't have an impact on IMFL.
Wow. They are nuts! Not sure how it could not impact IMFL. As a past IMFL'er, and IMFLthe race where many current DC Tri vets did their first IM's together over a span of years, it's really sad.
They probably won't announce whether it's a dual until a week or two, if not days or hours, before the race. This means that there will be very little options available for folks doing IMFL this year unless they hedge their bets on some other IMs. Cozumel and Beach2Battleship may not escape the oil either since there are some computer projections that the oil may get to those locations.
AT IMFL, there is a bay near the beach where other triathlons have taken place in the past. From my memory of last year, the bay water seems to be a bit choppier but less wavy than the beach. If all fails, community slot Ironman Western Australia here I come. Do they speak Vietnamese there ... otherwise Ironman Vietnam here I come :)
I don't care what's the in the water, I'm running, biking and swimming at IMFL. I may just have a long T1 as I degrease before hopping on the bike.
Top Ten Reasons to Have a Triathlon during an Oil Spill
1. If you forget your body glide, there’ll be natural lubricants on hand.
2. The chemical dispersants will kill any bacteria in your throat and nasal passages.
3. Oil is known to have a calming effect on waves, reducing chop and wash.
4. You can ask race officials to employ containment booms as backup buoys, easing course sighting.
5. The oily film coating your goggles will be a great glare guard.
6. Racers wearing goggles with tiny motorized windshield wipers will have a big advantage.
7. The petroleum will kill off any jellyfish and sharks.
8. You can start your run with cool black markings under your eyes, and preen like a stud baseball player.
9. You'll be as buoyant as a swimmer in the Dead Sea.
10. If you have a bad race, you can set the course on fire.
lol, I love #10.
Here's the disclaimer on the course page of IMFL: Note: Ironman North America reserves the right to change the swim portion of the event due to weather or other safety factors. There's the CYA...
Of course, the motto is: Anything is Possible :)