Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

NTP Injury Prevention Clinic
CREATED: 06/24/09 by bobf REPLIES: 7
bobf's ravatar bobf    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
NTP Injury Prevention Clinic
POSTED: 6/24/09 11:32 AM

Any great tips or handouts from last night's clinic? I unfortunately couldn't make this one and am injury prone.

One month until New Jersey!

amaceto    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 41
RE: NTP Injury Prevention Clinic
POSTED: 6/28/09 5:53 PM

The presentation was very informative and organized. They provided several handouts on stretching and flexibility exercises for each discipline and one on bike fit. I can scan and email them tomorrow if you want.

Here are some highlights, by no means comprehensive.
* The time leading up to a race is when a lot of injuries are seen.
* Swim. Lower body rotation generates power, not your shoulder, and use of shoulder to do so can lead to injury. During the last 200-300m, gradually increase your kicking tempo so that you’ll be able to stand up and get out of the water rather than falling on your face. Without a wetsuit, you’ll need to kick.
* Bike. During the pedal stroke, dropping the heel too much can cause injury. Too much float in your cleats leads to poor technique, too little can cause knee problems. The path of your knee should be slightly towards the center bar. You should not have any pain during or after short rides (<6 hrs, yes, that number is correct). If you have pain, it’s probably due to what your body is doing or your bike set-up. On the plus side, these are easy to fix compared to the things you might be doing during the swim or run that cause injury.
* Run. To reduce injury and increase efficiency, avoid over-striding, excessive knee bend or bobbing, and crossing the middle line of your body.

hilarysmith    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 6/29/09 6:51 AM

Amaceto,
Thanks for posting some of the highlights from the clinic. If possible, and if it isn't too much trouble, I would love to get copies of the handouts (as I, too, tend to be accident, errr, I mean injury, prone). :)
I'm at hilarysmith@live.com.
Thanks!

hilarysmith    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 6/29/09 6:52 AM

Amaceto,
Thanks for posting some of the highlights from the clinic. If possible, and if it isn't too much trouble, I would love to get copies of the handouts (as I, too, tend to be accident, errr, I mean injury, prone). :)
I'm at hilarysmith@live.com.
Thanks!

psuangela    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 6/29/09 7:50 AM

Amaceto,
Thanks for posting some of the highlights from the clinic. I was unable to attend that evening. If possible, and if it isn't too much trouble, I would also love to get copies of the handouts. You can email me at aochipinti@gmail.com
Thank You!!

amaceto    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 41
POSTED: 6/29/09 11:17 PM

Just sent the handouts. Let me know if you don't receive them as it means I mistyped your emails.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1773
POSTED: 6/30/09 2:02 PM

Speaking from the school of experience, I'd say the most important injury prevention tips, along with a lot of stretching, are to have a proper swim technique, a good bike fit, a sound, comfortable running form and, sufficient rest between workouts and after a major event. And listening hard to what your body is telling you, and getting rest and good advice fast if it's saying something negative.

Also, having one of those "cushy" day jobs will help in devoting sufficient time to proper training. :)

nicholsc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 6/30/09 2:59 PM

Amaceto,

I would also like handouts from the Clinic. You can send to cherien@mac.com.

Thanks,

Cherie

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria