Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Dextro Field
CREATED: 06/24/09 by jokel84 REPLIES: 11
jokel84    JOINED: 6/18/09    POSTS: 4
Dextro Field
POSTED: 6/24/09 3:58 PM

I was comparing results from the Dextro to results from Nations 08'(same course I think) I looks like the field at the Dextro was very competitive. Avg finish time for nations was 3:10 vs 2:38 at Dextro. Am I leaving something out or was the field that good???

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 955
RE: Dextro Field
POSTED: 6/24/09 4:11 PM

The courses were not exactly the same. The bike course at Nations is one loop and goes further out Clara Barton and Cabin John Parkways. The run at Nations uses Hains Point and not the out & back loops that the Dextro uses.

But I think that the "discrepancy" is due to the sample size, if you will. Dextro did not even have 400 competitors for the Olympic. Nations has something like 3000 competitors (even more next year). The races draw two vastly different crowds, I feel. Nations draws people who just want to complete a triathlon. A lot of first timers. For the Dextro Olympic, I bet there was a VERY small percentage of people who had never raced before.

alya72's ravatar alya72    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 6/24/09 4:18 PM

Other differences-TnT used Nations last year as the goal race for a huge number of their programs on the east coast, so there was a significant portion of first-timers in the race. Another big difference-the weather at Nations last year was horrible for racing-about 90 degrees and 90% humidity!

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 6/24/09 5:54 PM

The field at the dextro olympic was definitely a veteran field. Very fast.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 6/24/09 6:29 PM

does anyone have an official measurement on the course, bc those times are a bit "too fast" at point, unless that was just due to the course being completely flat.

minime's ravatar minime    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 48
POSTED: 6/24/09 7:36 PM

I agree with everything stated above:
TNTers were absent
Drastically smaller field of racers
Not many first timers
and 20 degrees cooler

It was so hot during Nations.

Although, I'm pretty sure the river current was stronger on Sunday at Dextro than at Nations. But that could just be me making up excuses.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 6/24/09 9:33 PM

Strongest current I've swam against.

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 6/24/09 10:46 PM

The field was a veteran and really fast but not extremely fast not many people break the hour on the bike as for the run I think it was accurate the swim was slow due to the current if you have any ? look the elite time 20 minutes when they normally are in the 17 or 18 but yeah it was a fast field

Eric

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 6/25/09 9:26 AM

I don't think it was just the current, although I had a tough time staying to the right of the turn-around buoy, but the buoys on the return trip were kind of sparse. I just followed the hats in front of me and didn't see a single one until I saw the exit platform about 200m directly to my left. I felt like I swam all over that river. But yeah, it was a fast course. I think the run was a bit short (I should not PR a 10k in a triathlon). The bike was 39.7 km according to my computer which is pretty accurate.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 6/25/09 9:36 AM

Dextro swim = Swimming blindfolded on a treadmill. I now have a new respect for salmon and don't think I can ever eat one again. Swimming upstream, I kept looking up and swore I wasn't moving. Downstream - I am glad I am not the only one who was looking for missing buoys. I got to the turn around buoy under the 4th arch and a kayaker was moving it back in place, so I got the pleasure of swimming around the kayak as well.

All in all, a much faster field than Nations, I agree and more veteran. That said, I had a great time (would have preferred not to be in 2 tunnels on the run) finishing at the bottom of the pack on the Olympic course. Nice to do a hometown tri.

See you all at Nations, if not before.

lotus975    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 33
POSTED: 6/25/09 5:24 PM

Wow do I feel a lot better after reading this thread! Dextro was my first tri and boy was I disappointed after it! I thought i was just slow, but after seeing that the Dextro average time was ridiculously competitive compared to Nation's 2008, guess I can feel better about myself. Also, I thought I was the only one who was off course because of the migrating buoys. In addition, I don't feel so bad about nearly EVERYONE whooshing past, including a 72 year old man, on the bike! Can't wait to do Nation's!

jpm

matr's ravatar matr    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 6/26/09 9:01 AM

Maybe this will put it in perspective. I was hoping to qualify for nationals at this race, and other than the swim, it went very well for me. However, I did not come even close to qualifying (top 10% in age group in a USAT race), but if I entered the sprint race, I would have qualified with ease.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria