Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Eagleman Alternatives?
CREATED: 12/06/11 by ceangell REPLIES: 8
ceangell    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 35
Eagleman Alternatives?
POSTED: 12/06/11 2:53 PM

I just signed up for the Eagleman waitlist. Does anybody have a suggestion for an alternative first-time 70.3 race?

Alternatively, any experience with the Eagleman waitlist and the likelihood that it will move?

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
RE: Eagleman Alternatives?
POSTED: 12/06/11 2:59 PM

I think this might be the first year for the waitlist. I don't remember any waitlist before.

Check Setup Events for alternatives. I am doing the 70.3 in Lake Anna - Kinetic Half. I am told it is doable as a 1 day event - no hotels and package pick up race morning.

ctmartin's ravatar ctmartin    JOINED: 4/27/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 12/06/11 3:19 PM

The Kinetic Half is a good event, and very do-able as a one-day.

I was thinking about doing Mussleman again, if I didn't get off of waitlist.

skarpers's ravatar skarpers    JOINED: 5/9/11    POSTS: 35
POSTED: 12/06/11 3:30 PM

I'm registered for Mooseman which is just two weeks before Eagleman and is still driving distance.

ecrandlemire's ravatar ecrandlemire    JOINED: 4/13/10    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 12/06/11 3:47 PM

If you have any questions on Mooseman, let me know and I'd be happy to discuss. I did it this year and have a lot of good information.

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 361
POSTED: 12/06/11 4:02 PM

+1 for Musselman, it's a great race :)

Maybe the 70.3 at the Nat'l Harbor in August (details aren't out yet and next year will be the inaugural race)

sportsbrajen's ravatar sportsbrajen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 42
POSTED: 12/07/11 7:38 AM

Mooseman is a great race, but I'm not sure I would recommend it as a first 70.3. Water is breathtakingly cold, bike course is very challenging, and the run is pretty tough, too. Combine that with being early in the season. The drive is also a full day. That being said the course is beautiful, lake is crystal clear, and great volunteers/local support.

Syracuse which is now in June could be another option. Drive is much shorter (~6 hours) and the course is more manageable. Certainly, an option for those that don't like the heat.

I have done both if you have questions.

winterlag's ravatar winterlag    JOINED: 9/10/11    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 12/12/11 9:34 PM

I am looking to do my first 70.3 in late May - June time period. I have been considering Kansas, Mooseman and Florida since Eagleman is full. Of those three would anyone have a recommendation?

ecrandlemire's ravatar ecrandlemire    JOINED: 4/13/10    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 12/12/11 10:32 PM

I did Mooseman last year as my first 70.3 and Jen is right in her description. The water is cold (57* for our race) but folks did make it through with a sleeveless wetsuit although I think a full-sleeve suit is more appropriate. Race day temps started in the upper 40s and topped out in the mid-60s but the sun is stronger than you think since you are at a bit of elevation. The bike is definitely one of the tougher courses you might find with some long steep climbs where you might pass people if you are going 5mph. While those may sound like negatives to some folks, it does set up for a unique experience as we don't get to race at too many venues like this around here. The water is crystal clear and you can't beat the views of the lake on the run. The locals were great and were quite generous in their support (especially the portly man on his front porch drinking beer near the finish line).

We camped last year about 2 miles from the race as hotels are limited in the area. The campground was nice but be prepared for mid-30 temps at night. If you do your research, there are plenty of on-lake rental properties if you wanted to make a vacation out of the trip. We also broke the drive up into two days each way but it could be done in one if you had to push it. I wouldn't plan on driving back race day.

If you are looking for a flat fast course, this definitely isn't it. When I was researching this race, I found a lot of race reports out there that have some really good information about what to expect.

Feel free to drop me an email with anymore questions.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria