DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Races not to Miss - Looking ahead
CREATED: 09/15/10 by spleary REPLIES: 12
spleary's ravatar spleary    JOINED: 8/17/10    POSTS: 73
Races not to Miss - Looking ahead
POSTED: 9/15/10 8:47 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to triathlons and the dc tri club. I'll be completing my third sprint in a couple weeks at the Giant Acorn down at Lake Anna.

I've started looking ahead to next year/season. I went and signed up for the Columbia Triathlon (I registered first, then read about the challenging course, oops) but am now thinking ahead to other races next year.

What races are peoples favorites? I'm aiming for mostly olympics right now but would love to hear about other distances if you care to share. I have a half iron man as a goal, but that is much further down the road.

Looking forward to hearing from, and eventually meeting some of you!

-Scott

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
RE: Races not to Miss - Looking ahead
POSTED: 9/15/10 9:04 AM

Next year the Mid-Atlantic Club Championships is Rocketts Landing Triathlon on July 24th in Richmond. The Board will make a huge push to get as many club members down there to race. I have also heard great things about this race.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 9/15/10 10:31 AM

I do all the local races despite higher registration fees in DC - DC Tri in June, Nations in September. I have limited ability to travel and also like to sleep at home rather than a hotel - or like Eagleman in a tent like the souls that are hardier than me.

kkaufer's ravatar kkaufer    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 125
POSTED: 9/15/10 10:35 AM

Hi - and welcome to the wonderful world of s, b, r (and e -- EAT!). One of my favorite local Olys is the Rumpass in Bumpass, usually in April (and definitely flatter than Columbia). It's run by setupevents.com. They host several really nice races. Also check out trifind.net -- you can search for races by state.

dwitt616's ravatar dwitt616    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 50
POSTED: 9/15/10 10:45 AM

I'll second Bumpass in April and throw out Luray (usually mid-August) and tends to conflict with the Northeast Tri, I think. I enjoyed Nations a lot this year, despite the wet conditions, but there's definitely a novelty to some of the smaller races that I truly enjoy.

novasupra's ravatar novasupra    JOINED: 12/3/09    POSTS: 70
POSTED: 9/15/10 9:40 PM

x2 for Setup Events, their races are solid. I try to do Kinetic every year... it's one of my favorite events.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 9/15/10 10:26 PM

I'll give a little shout out to the Kinetic Half and Sprint in early May at Lake Anna. Only thing is that driving down on Friday evening on 95 might lead to some traffic delays.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 9/15/10 10:44 PM

Columbia is The Show. You picked the right one.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1742
POSTED: 9/16/10 9:57 AM

The informal, inexpensive, club-sponsored, sprint training tris at Hains Pt. during the summer. (And club duathlons at the same place, usually in the spring. And club swim meets over the winter.)

Also, go to the club Happy Hours, there's one tonight, if you can to compare notes.

cjvanhorne    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 7
POSTED: 9/16/10 10:52 AM

Diamond in the Rough in around July 9th or 10th is in Perryville, MD, about 1:30 from DC, so you can go up morning of and do the race and be back after lunch. I like the hilly 27 mile bike course and the 5 mile run. Also, it has easy access to the transition area in a quiet park, and is not a hectic big city race.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 9/16/10 11:28 AM

Has anyone done any races on Long Island? I have friends up there and ergo - support to watch my daughter while I race; plus a nice visit to Fire Island and the beach doesn't hurt either.

novasupra's ravatar novasupra    JOINED: 12/3/09    POSTS: 70
POSTED: 9/16/10 11:40 AM

I've done the Ironclad Tri and the LI Goldcoast Tri on Long Island. The Ironclad is a nice local race, swim is in the sound and the run is in a nature preserve. I also did the Mossman Tri in Bridgeport CT which is another pretty good race, you can take the ferry there from LI.

I actually enjoy the swims in the LI Sound, some of the clearest water i have been able to swim in, even if there are powerplants that are all along the shoreline.

tatuskocs's ravatar tatuskocs    JOINED: 9/2/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 9/16/10 12:01 PM

I did Rocketts Landing this past July. Hot as heck but a great little course. Highly recommended. I will be signing up again for sure.

Cheers
Collin

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria