Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Sprint vs. Olympic
CREATED: 03/17/09 by bobf REPLIES: 8
bobf's ravatar bobf    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
Sprint vs. Olympic
POSTED: 3/17/09 2:21 PM

I'm planning to register for the NJ race very soon and am still conflicted if I should commit to the sprint or olympic distance. As someone pretty much coming off the couch, my thought was to train for the Sprint now with the plan to race the Sprint in NJ and then go for the Olympic at the September 13th Nation's Tri. I wanted to see if this seems like a feasible plan and what people's thoughts were to the merit's of training for either if you're not in the best shape right now.

Thanks
-Bob

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
RE: Sprint vs. Olympic
POSTED: 3/17/09 3:21 PM

That sounds like a good plan. The Oly at NJ is very doable, but if you are doubting your fitness there is no reason to hurt yourself by stretching too soon. Go for sprint at NJ and if you feel like it put in for the Oly at Nations. Very good plan.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 185
POSTED: 3/17/09 3:56 PM

My fellow mentee and I in the NTP last year signed up for the Olympic. When it comes race day, and you look out over that stretch of water, you will need to feel confident that you can make it. A 3/4 mile straight stretch is crushingly bigger than a pool.

He switched at the last second because his swimming was just not strong enough yet. He still had a good time, and I think he made the right call.

I stuck with the longer, and did fine, along with a whole gaggle of other NTPers.

larsencm    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 3/18/09 11:25 AM

When you say that he "switched at the last minute"- does this mean the race organizers allowed him to switch on the actual race day? Just want to get a feel for how definite my decision needs to be at this point. Ideally, I'd like to try Olympic with the option Sprint as a back-up. Thanks!

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 185
POSTED: 3/18/09 11:31 AM

Yes, he was able to switch from Olympic to Sprint the day before the race began... Not sure you could go the other way, and they probably didn't refund the price difference. That's not to say they'd do it again this year, but in most organized races I've been in, they let you go the shorter route if you want.

skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
POSTED: 3/18/09 12:05 PM

I emailed the race director and he suggested registering for Olympic now and said its much easier to downgrade than to upgrade from Sprint to Olympic as the race fills.

If you want to change, you can just login to the registration site, go to your account, and then select the new race type and update. It will show how much you already paid and the new balance for the difference when upgrading to the new type of race (plus a small transaction fee). Plug in your card info and you're done.

I'm still undecided right now, but I decided to upgrade to Olympic and see where I'm at in July and make the Sprint/Olympic call for NJ, and then try Olympic for the Nation's Triathlon in DC in September regardless.

Seth

hilarysmith    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 3/19/09 9:25 AM

As an NTPer wanting to race the NJ tri, should I register for it online now (assuming registration is still open)?; or, alternatively, did DC Tri already reserve slots for NTP members? I thought I recalled something along those lines being mentioned during the initial meeting held prior to registration, but I can't remember. Does anyone know? Thanks! Hilary

skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
POSTED: 3/19/09 9:37 AM

I think they said that DC Tri has a certain number of spots but that you should register now since we're all aiming for that race as the goal for NTP. When you register, there is a place to put in your club affiliation and how you learned of the race, so I'm guessing they can track how many NTPers are signed up, etc.

Seth

hilarysmith    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
POSTED: 3/19/09 11:20 AM

Great, thanks Seth!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria